F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > 335i at Summit Point
GetBMWParts

07-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
335i at Summit Point

Been a while since I posed, so I thought I'd share a few laps from a BMW CCA HPDE at Summit Point-Main last weekend.

It was just starting to rain, but the grip was still pretty good; I was running fairly consistently in the 1:28/29s on clean laps, but there are definitely a couple spots where I can pick up a bit more time (if only I had a third day there!) This was my second time there, and it's already become one of my favorite tracks.

I'm very happy with the car in its current form. It's so well-balanced and stable, and even without a tune it has no trouble punching well above its weight class.

* Edit to add - keep an eye out for the terrified little fawn that's darting around along side the track at about the 4:20 mark. I've heard a few stories of animals on the track at Summit, but fortunately this one only got close. (I don't think anyone else even noticed it except me)

Last edited by DVC; 07-31-2018 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 5
Solidjake945.00
Polo088161602.50
zinner559.00
Tchao333.50
      07-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Been a while since I posed, so I thought I'd share a few laps from a BMW CCA HPDE at Summit Point-Main last weekend.

It was just starting to rain, but the grip was still pretty good; I was running fairly consistently in the 1:28/29s on clean laps, but there are definitely a couple spots where I can pick up a bit more time (if only I had a third day there!) This was my second time there, and it's already become one of my favorite tracks.

I'm very happy with the car in its current form. It's so well-balanced and stable, and even without a tune it has no trouble punching well above its class,

* Edit to add - keep an eye out for the terrified little fawn that's darting around along side the track at about the 4:20 mark. I've heard a few stories of animals on the track at Summit, but fortunately this one only got close. (I don't think anyone else even noticed it except me)
This track looks like a ton of fun. The car looks very fast while well behaved. When I first started modding mine I didn't expect it to perform so well on track with all the hate the chassis gets for BMW "losing touch". Bottom line is the chassis has a great inherent balance and stiffness that can really utilize a proper suspension setup. Even my 28i with a JB+ keeps up with cars that it has no business running with.

How much camber are you running up front?
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 ,2021 M340i

DVC, you said your car is so well-balanced and stable. Did you upgrade your suspension or its stock?
I am just learning the behavior of my new 340i, have not tracked it yet, but from what I feel so far, its very floaty, too much body roll and movement in the chasses.
I feel like in stock form this car will be almost undriveable on the track for me(I am at advanced/instructor level).
      07-27-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
This track looks like a ton of fun. The car looks very fast while well behaved. When I first started modding mine I didn't expect it to perform so well on track with all the hate the chassis gets for BMW "losing touch". Bottom line is the chassis has a great inherent balance and stiffness that can really utilize a proper suspension setup. Even my 28i with a JB+ keeps up with cars that it has no business running with.

How much camber are you running up front?
Agreed! After solid rear subframe bushings, I could tell the car had serious potential. Then I went all-in with Öhlins coil overs, bushings/bearings in all suspension arms, etc., and the car is planted and very well composed.

For this event, I actually backed down my camber settings to -3.0° front and -2.0° rear, with zero front toe and 1/16" rear toe in. I had been running a few tenths more camber front and rear in the last couple of events, and based on wear patterns and temps from my tire probe, it was too much... Current settings seem to be about right.
Appreciate 1
Polo088161602.50
      07-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #5
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datka View Post
DVC, you said your car is so well-balanced and stable. Did you upgrade your suspension or its stock?
I am just learning the behavior of my new 340i, have not tracked it yet, but from what I feel so far, its very floaty, too much body roll and movement in the chasses.
I feel like in stock form this car will be almost undriveable on the track for me(I am at advanced/instructor level).
Yes, I've upgraded the suspension extensively...and I also "added lightness" by removing the rear seats and swapping out front seats for a pair of Recaros. (and added a harness bar to help keep me in my seat at speed : ) If you click the '2014 335i M Sport' link under my avatar, all my mods are listed in my "BMW Garage"

These cars are definitely set up to be comfy from the factory, so they have a lot of body roll in stock trim. But the chassis is excellent, and with some bushings and a good set of coil overs, the car really comes alive.
Appreciate 2
Datka450.00
Polo088161602.50
      07-27-2018, 11:51 PM   #6
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Awesome driving man!! Thanks

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Awesome driving man!! Thanks
Thank you!
      07-31-2018, 12:39 AM   #8
daxtor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 335i

DVC, what data logging program do you use? The one I used doesn't keep track of current gear.

I am honestly hesitant to modify my car at present. When I had my E46 330 I had lowered it with H&R sport and Bilstein dampers and the handling was very good. However with a kid now I don't want to give her a stiff ride. Not to mention my car needs to be all weather capable (including going up the mountain for skiing). I don't want to loose my adaptive dampers as I do find it quite nice on long road trips. So maybe I should just get a set of sway bars and call it a day?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxtor View Post
DVC, what data logging program do you use? The one I used doesn't keep track of current gear.

I am honestly hesitant to modify my car at present. When I had my E46 330 I had lowered it with H&R sport and Bilstein dampers and the handling was very good. However with a kid now I don't want to give her a stiff ride. Not to mention my car needs to be all weather capable (including going up the mountain for skiing). I don't want to loose my adaptive dampers as I do find it quite nice on long road trips. So maybe I should just get a set of sway bars and call it a day?
I use RaceChrono on my Android phone, and I have an OBDLink MX Bluetooth OBDII reader and a Garmin GLO external GPS (more accurate than the phone's built in GPS). Then I use Race Render to merge everything together with the GoPro video.

If you want to leave the stock adaptive dampers on the car but still improve the stability and composure on track, then sway bars would be a good start. I'd also suggest Bimmerworld solid rear subframe bushings, as they don't add much in the way of NVH, but significantly improve the feel of the chassis on track.
      07-31-2018, 12:58 PM   #10
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
By the way, this was also my first time using the new pickup to pull the car to the track in a trailer. This is definitely a great way to go!!

08-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #11
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Great video. I hope to make it to summit point someday for an event.
Appreciate 1
DVC558.00
      08-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #12
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Great video. I hope to make it to summit point someday for an event.
Thanks!

Summit Point is a bit of a drive from Raleigh, but I'd say it's worth the trip!
      08-06-2018, 08:10 PM   #13
daxtor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I use RaceChrono on my Android phone, and I have an OBDLink MX Bluetooth OBDII reader and a Garmin GLO external GPS (more accurate than the phone's built in GPS). Then I use Race Render to merge everything together with the GoPro video.

If you want to leave the stock adaptive dampers on the car but still improve the stability and composure on track, then sway bars would be a good start. I'd also suggest Bimmerworld solid rear subframe bushings, as they don't add much in the way of NVH, but significantly improve the feel of the chassis on track.
I have RaceChrono and OBDLink LX, so perhaps that's why I don't see the gear indicator info in my log? The garmin GLO is nice and I have been debating whether to get one or not (it is not affordable ). I tried the RaceChrono built in movie export for 1 lap and am quite pleased with the result so I probably would stick to that. Just that my Note 5 doesn't have enough space for me to store everything (stupid Samsung didn't allow SD card expansion for that generation.. grrr).

I'll investigate the subframe bushing suggestion and probably will do that at the same time I get the sway bars installed. Btw which brand of sway bars do you recommend?

I also am tempting to install the Dinan springs and shockware but when I tried installed shockare last time, the shop says my car isn't compatible and had to return my car without it installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #14
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxtor View Post
I have RaceChrono and OBDLink LX, so perhaps that's why I don't see the gear indicator info in my log?
I'll investigate the subframe bushing suggestion and probably will do that at the same time I get the sway bars installed. Btw which brand of sway bars do you recommend?
I would think that OBDLink LX would show the same parameters as the MX, so I expect the gear data is in there. Assuming that's the case, if you try RaceRender to process your vids, you should be able to display gear.

I have H&R sway bars, which I'm happy with; the Dinan ones look similar, although with a bit more adjustability. I probably would have gotten the Dinan bars, but they came out after I already installed the H&Rs.
      08-11-2018, 01:21 AM   #15
daxtor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I would think that OBDLink LX would show the same parameters as the MX, so I expect the gear data is in there. Assuming that's the case, if you try RaceRender to process your vids, you should be able to display gear.

I have H&R sway bars, which I'm happy with; the Dinan ones look similar, although with a bit more adjustability. I probably would have gotten the Dinan bars, but they came out after I already installed the H&Rs.
Interesting. Next time I hit the track I'd dig deeper into the RaceChrono settings and see if I can pull that gear info up and add that to the log files. I used to have TMS swaybars (which I was told are the same as H&R?) on my 330i and I found them to be quite excellent. I'll look into the Dinan ones as well, although I didn't get a chance to adjust my sway bar settings at all before it was totaled...
Appreciate 0