F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > KONI FSD shocks ... anyone running them?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
izaazk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

KONI FSD shocks ... anyone running them?

Anyone running fsd here? Thinking about a set for my f30 rwd wanting to know people's experience
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

They're not meant to be run with lowering springs if that's what you're planning on doing
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
izaazk
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 LCI View Post
They're not meant to be run with lowering springs if that's what you're planning on doing
Nah I will be running them with stock springs just trying to balance comfort and stiffness ... coils are just too bouncy for city driving and pothole galore
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #4
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by izaazk View Post
Nah I will be running them with stock springs just trying to balance comfort and stiffness ... coils are just too bouncy for city driving and pothole galore
Oh okay I heard they're not bad. Also I just realized you're the one I bought my Borla exhaust from over a year ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
izaazk
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 LCI View Post
Quote:
Oh okay I heard they're not bad. Also I just realized you're the one I bought my Borla exhaust from over a year ago.
Damn haha that's crazy you still remember 😂 how's that thing going for ya?

Yah my f30 adaptive shocks are shot bad at 56k so looking for a similar replacement ... I have temporary coilovers on for now (cheap fk) and shit is bouncy and too rigid for daily
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 11:43 PM   #6
GeorgeF31
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i xDrive M Sport Wagon

Yes. They call them Special Active instead of FSD.

I love mine. Still comfy for road trips and the many crappy roads in Richmond. Tightened up performance considerably over stock xDrive.

Per Koni, the Special Active are for stock height springs. The M Sport suspension RWD part numbers are for those springs which are slightly lower than standard suspension cars. So if you have RWD, you can get those to go with a very small drop assuming you're not already on those springs.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:46 AM   #7
radiation
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeF31 View Post

I love mine. Still comfy for road trips and the many crappy roads in Richmond. Tightened up performance considerably over stock xDrive.

Per Koni, the Special Active are for stock height springs. The M Sport suspension RWD part numbers are for those springs which are slightly lower than standard suspension cars. So if you have RWD, you can get those to go with a very small drop assuming you're not already on those springs.
Was your car Adaptive or standard from the factory? I feel like these are exactly what I'm looking for for my standard suspension xDrive while maintaining stock geometry.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 08:48 PM   #8
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn haha that's crazy you still remember 😂 how's that thing going for ya?

Yah my f30 adaptive shocks are shot bad at 56k so looking for a similar replacement ... I have temporary coilovers on for now (cheap fk) and shit is bouncy and too rigid for daily
HA its awesome! Sounds amazing
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 12:12 AM   #9
GeorgeF31
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i xDrive M Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiation View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeF31 View Post

Was your car Adaptive or standard from the factory? I feel like these are exactly what I'm looking for for my standard suspension xDrive while maintaining stock geometry.
Mine was standard xDrive. Koni doesn't specify a part for cars with EDC — which is apparently VDC on the hybrid.

Our first road trip since they were put in was from Richmond, Virginia to Boston. We went the "long way" up through PA. Interstate 64 -> 81 -> 84. Good highway handling mix over varying degrees of disrepair. Loved it.

From what you're describing you want, I think you'll like them a lot.
Appreciate 0