F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Best Chicagoland driving roads?
proTUNING Freaks

03-08-2017, 07:44 AM   #23
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
I'd suspect he's referring to the run starting at Tower Rd in Winnetka and heading North. Other that that, Sheridan Rd is fairly boring. Another poster mentioned Southern Wisconsin, and I'd have to agree with that. Many good possibilities up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuts_off_prius View Post
Correct. The ravines is a classic section with pretty tight curves and elevation changes. Worth checking out if you're used to the Chicago grid system roads. And, yeah, South of Tower Rd is just straight, mostly flat road.
Cool. I know Tower Rd, right at Field's BMW on 94. I live just off Sheridan Rd in the city, but I've never driven it up that far. I'll have to check it out.
I cycle up there quite a bit, there is some fun stuff around the lagoon, a bit near Chicago botanical garden. A couple of things though:

-Lots of Forest Preserve officers
-Be careful with people enjoying a leisurely cycle / recreation activities
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #24
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

355 during off hours is pretty nice.
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #25
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

the left lane of 294 often moves at 85-90 mph.

I'll have to check out Sheridan Rd again. I remember almost spinning out my dad's '76 Grand Prix on one of the tighter curves way back when.

Southern WI probably has some great 2 lane roads.

We used to go up to Eagle River (too far to go to just drive) when our son went to camp there and often hit triple digit speeds.
      06-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #26
BrentBarker
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshark View Post
I will in the Chicago burbs, where the roads are straight, and often full of potholes, with traffic lights and police galore...

Where do you drive in the area for fun? I sometime go to lemont, where the roads are a bit windy, and less stop lights, but again, police galore...

Thoughts?
If you are looking for a weekend of fun, the "Kettle Moraine Scenic Route" in Wisconsin is a lot of fun to drive. Loads of twists and hairpin turns anyone would have a great time on. There are quite a few "rest stops" like camp sites, lakes, and parks to stop at and the best part of all, over half of the route is now paved asphalt! I know it might be a little far north, but it is well worth the trip!