F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 340i dinan sway bars
ARMA SPEED

06-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8

Just ordered a pair of dinan sways. Anyone know what the best setting is? The instructions say full oversteer for 335/340 which is not what I'm looking for. I want it to understeer and stay close to stock but significantly stiffer. Front full understeer and back middle?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440iGCCB View Post
Just ordered a pair of dinan sways. Anyone know what the best setting is? The instructions say full oversteer for 335/340 which is not what I'm looking for. I want it to understeer and stay close to stock but significantly stiffer. Front full understeer and back middle?
Don't know the answer to your question, but has anything else been upgraded on your suspension? I've been thinking about doing just the Dinan sway bars, but I would prefer oversteer.

If you haven't already, I would recommend calling Dinan and see what they say.
July 23rd - Dyno Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

how are you finding it so far?

I only installed the rear bar and im running it in the first hole which is the stiffest setting. it might be a bit much for street but for autos its where I need to be. turn in is significant sharper and the front tires bit alot more through transitions. the rear feels planted. it was oversteering a bit but I took some air out of the rear tires and that seem to help it during my autox runs...

the front still rolls a bit so ill be putting in the front bar this week and we'll see what happens
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
I don't think a stiff rear sway bar is a good idea, especially with an open diff. On a RWD car there needs to be some independence in the rear suspension movement (the left wheel movement not affecting the right wheel movement and vice versa) so the rear tires stay in contact with the ground. Look under BMW CCA race cars, etc - very thin rear sways, if they even run one.

The front, on the other hand, you can go very stiff. The front of the car doesn't need to roll in order to transfer weight. You accomplish weight transfer just by turning the steering wheel, that is what makes the car turn, not body roll.

So reduce roll up front and allow some roll in the rear.

Charles
EDWYER1672.50
Lancelot567.50
      07-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I have them both set to middle and honestly it feels very neutral and the rear comes out a lot less. This is with an extra 40 or so torque mind you with my MPPSK. I'm not sure why everyone says a stiffer rear bar on an open LSD will induce oversteer. I'm debating full stiff all around, but with stock run flats and camber, this may entice the tail to pop out. What do you think?
so I've installed the front bar and tested it in the middle setting and stiffest setting during a few autox events. there is significantly less understeer when set to the stiffest setting...larger contact patch is preserved i imagine. I'm running 255mm rubber all round...so even at the stiffest settings in the front and rear, the car barely oversteers. in a transitions or sharp turn, i found that it is def more likely to understeer than oversteer...but not by much. for autox, i think this is ideal but i need to do more testing...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #6
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

While I have not changed the sway bars in my car, even with all of my mods the car still has progressive understeer at the limit while very neutral to that point. I wouldn't want my front end more stiff than it is because I am already contesting understeer on corner exit. I'm going to increase my rear rebound setting for my next track day and see if that makes a pronounced difference. Beyond that I would consider a RSB, but think that a proper LSD is the better option for me since I'd rather have throttle controlled oversteer rather than it be inherent in the chassis.

Just be conservative while stiffening your car, take it one step at a time to figure out what you're happy with. Going full stiff can make normal driving feel good but can be like walking on a cliff edge at the limit. The best way to reduce understeer, particularly in our cars, is to increase front negative camber and tire size.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i

Last edited by MacklinUSOB; 07-25-2018 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
Lancelot567.50
      07-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #7
RedSectorA
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix M Perf, 2019 M2 Cmp

Garage List
I have and 340iX with front and back Dinan sways set up at the stiffest level, car will oversteer somewhat but when pushed real hard. Its actually pretty neutral. I would expect an RWD to break loose a little faster but would not be worried to much about it. Mind you my garage queen is an S2000 with 10 year old RE11 that will snap over-steer all day so I find the 340 pretty tame in that regard .

To be completely transparent I also have Dinan's springs and I drive with BMW Adaptive Dampers in Sport + which favors oversteer.
      07-28-2018, 11:54 PM   #8
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
I don't think a stiff rear sway bar is a good idea, especially with an open diff. On a RWD car there needs to be some independence in the rear suspension movement (the left wheel movement not affecting the right wheel movement and vice versa) so the rear tires stay in contact with the ground. Look under BMW CCA race cars, etc - very thin rear sways, if they even run one.

The front, on the other hand, you can go very stiff. The front of the car doesn't need to roll in order to transfer weight. You accomplish weight transfer just by turning the steering wheel, that is what makes the car turn, not body roll.

So reduce roll up front and allow some roll in the rear.

Charles
Reflects my experience as well;

Stiff rear even with LSD isn't desirable, in case of lifting inside wheel even if wheel spin is controlled you obviously lose contact and therefore stability, and ability to put down power.

Stiff front allows for sharp controlled turn in.

Then with LSD you get to control oversteer with throttle.
      07-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Reflects my experience as well;

Stiff rear even with LSD isn't desirable, in case of lifting inside wheel even if wheel spin is controlled you obviously lose contact and therefore stability, and ability to put down power.

Stiff front allows for sharp controlled turn in.

Then with LSD you get to control oversteer with throttle.
it really depends on the application and the driver's preference/style. I can see why on a race track, it would more favourable to have a thinner rear bar since at speed it is conducive to rear grip. The required inputs on a race track are slower than lets say in autox and there's "time" to settle the car before the next element. Logic tells me however, that a bigger rear bar will do a better job of planting the front tires and will keep the inside rear wheel down so the LSD can do its work.

Last edited by brigade24; 07-30-2018 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: clarity of detail
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

Do you mind sharing how much it cost to get them installed?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 12:41 AM   #11
Foriegnmonkey1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i RWD

Hey guys have a 340i RWD with m sport and adaptive suspension got the dinan shockware
Are the dinan sways any good and what setting would you guys have in the rear so it doesn't completely take away the independent suspension. Just want the body roll to go down a bit and have more feel on the corners.
Don't want it to be a track car by any means
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #12
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
The Dinan sway bars are good IMO, especially if you go to higher spring rates since they're not too stiff. I'd start on full soft for both front and rear.

Since you're RWD, you also have a lot of options for front and rear bars. You could pair another different front bar with the Dinan rear if you wanted. I have a brand new Dinan rear sway bar for sale here. Where in CA are you?

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #13
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8

Hey there,

I had a good experience with them on the 340i when they were set to middle stiffness on both F & R. I tried to do softer out back versus front and it created an awkward imbalance. Then, I went full stiff F & R but that took away too much independence and created a very skittish ride.

Stick to medium all around if you get the Dinan springs as well, otherwise go full soft.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 04:16 AM   #14
Foriegnmonkey1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey there,

I had a good experience with them on the 340i when they were set to middle stiffness on both F & R. I tried to do softer out back versus front and it created an awkward imbalance. Then, I went full stiff F & R but that took away too much independence and created a very skittish ride.

Stick to medium all around if you get the Dinan springs as well, otherwise go full soft.
Hey so I got the Dinan Sways installed on my 340i M sport w/ adaptive suspension + dinan shockware
Got it done for $800 at my mechanic (I know pretty crazy)
Right now it's not really feeling too planted... the turn ins are a bit better but still the car seems to flop around a bit before straightening out the wheel...
I've got the front and back sways set in the middle setting... anybody have any suggestions on how I should adjust it or what I should do.
(I don't want lowering springs because I already have a front splitter and it'll be impossible to go up my driveway. Plus had dinan Springs on my older 340i non M it sucked.) but if anybody sees this please help!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #15
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foriegnmonkey1 View Post
Hey so I got the Dinan Sways installed on my 340i M sport w/ adaptive suspension + dinan shockware
Right now it's not really feeling too planted... the turn ins are a bit better but still the car seems to flop around a bit before straightening out the wheel...
I've got the front and back sways set in the middle setting... anybody have any suggestions on how I should adjust it or what I should do.
(I don't want lowering springs because I already have a front splitter and it'll be impossible to go up my driveway. Plus had dinan Springs on my older 340i non M it sucked.) but if anybody sees this please help!
You could set it to the stiffest setting which is the first hole (hole closest to the front of the car). I felt a reasonable difference when i went from the middle to first hole. The front end link is easy to deal with. The rear is a different story, you might have to remove the rear shock to get the sway bar portion of rear end link off if the threaded portion begins to spin with the nut. the Threaded portion can accommodate a male torx bit to hold the threaded portion still while removing the nut with a box wrench. In order to get the torx bit in there, the rear shock may need to be removed.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #16
Foriegnmonkey1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
Quote:
You could set it to the stiffest setting which is the first hole (hole closest to the front of the car). I felt a reasonable difference when i went from the middle to first hole. The front end link is easy to deal with. The rear is a different story, you might have to remove the rear shock to get the sway bar portion of rear end link off if the threaded portion begins to spin with the nut. the Threaded portion can accommodate a male torx bit to hold the threaded portion still while removing the nut with a box wrench. In order to get the torx bit in there, the rear shock may need to be removed.
Okay awesome, anyway my shop is doing it for me. So you recommend stiffest in the front and stiff in the back? Or should I leave it in middle
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 02:58 PM   #17
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Okay awesome, anyway my shop is doing it for me. So you recommend stiffest in the front and stiff in the back? Or should I leave it in middle
Yes, go with stiffest setting in front and rear.

i tried middle in the front and stiffest in the rear and it felt "out of sync". the front had more grip but rolled alot more and since the rear had less compliance it wanted to swing around.

if you only stiffen the front and leave the rear in the middle, the car will have a tendency to understeer which you don't want.
Appreciate 0