F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Buzzken downpipe install for F30 n47?
Studio RSR

12-11-2018, 11:01 PM   #23
mpm01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328D grocery-getter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
It gets unplugged at the urea injector and then you can just zip tie it up. Their is a cooling loop for the injector that has to be looped back into itself.

Lastly if you want to remove the entire DEF system there is some work to that but it isn't necessary. Just make sure and drain out the tank and rinse with deionized water if you can.
When you say "injector", do you mean the large marshmellow shaped deal with various hoses and wires that used to bolt directly into it's own special outlet in the stock exhaust? Because this is the component that has my attention at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #24
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm01 View Post
When you say "injector", do you mean the large marshmellow shaped deal with various hoses and wires that used to bolt directly into it's own special outlet in the stock exhaust? Because this is the component that has my attention at the moment.
Im not sure about marshmallow but I believe we are talking about the same thing. Cooling loop, electrical connections, urea feed line.

You will likely lose some coolant during this process so be prepared with some 3/8 socket extensions to plug the hoses when you disconnect them. At worst you will need to add some BLUE coolant.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #25
mpm01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im not sure about marshmallow but I believe we are talking about the same thing. Cooling loop, electrical connections, urea feed line.

You will likely lose some coolant during this process so be prepared with some 3/8 socket extensions to plug the hoses when you disconnect them. At worst you will need to add some BLUE coolant.
This apparatus here:https://photos.app.goo.gl/RbyjCLP4iCapKKKc6

Last edited by mpm01; 12-11-2018 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: fixed link for pics
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #26
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yep that's the injector.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #27
Tonyt915
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' 328D M-Sport

So did it last night. Congrats to you on 2 hours cause from beginning to end we took 6 hours to replace the DP and mid pipe. Removed all unnecessary brackets, sensors and removed the DEF tank. May still need to adjust it some more cause part of the mid pipe is resting on the fiber heat shield that runs under the car. Also waiting to hear back from Mission Performance cause everything seems to be running fine but the CEL is on for 2 codes. p2047 and p20BD couldn't find much info on the codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #28
mpm01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyt915 View Post
So did it last night. Congrats to you on 2 hours cause from beginning to end we took 6 hours to replace the DP and mid pipe. Removed all unnecessary brackets, sensors and removed the DEF tank. May still need to adjust it some more cause part of the mid pipe is resting on the fiber heat shield that runs under the car. Also waiting to hear back from Mission Performance cause everything seems to be running fine but the CEL is on for 2 codes. p2047 and p20BD couldn't find much info on the codes.
It took me close to that long as well, except I left some of the DEF components under the car. I don’t recognize your codes, but am also dealing with a similar issue of CEL post ECU flash (by AArod). I’ve emailed them and am awaiting a response. I can clear the codes upon ignition turn on and they stay gone until I turn the car off, then an ignition cycle brings them back. I’m using BimmerLink.

Codes: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2eWTneCK3GiK19zu9

Keep us updated as to your progress and I’ll do the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #29
Tonyt915
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It took me close to that long as well, except I left some of the DEF components under the car. I don’t recognize your codes, but am also dealing with a similar issue of CEL post ECU flash (by AArod). I’ve emailed them and am awaiting a response. I can clear the codes upon ignition turn on and they stay gone until I turn the car off, then an ignition cycle brings them back. I’m using BimmerLink.

Codes: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2eWTneCK3GiK19zu9

Keep us updated as to your progress and I’ll do the same.
Thats what happens to me. I can clear the code and it stays off during my drive, but as soon as I cycle the ignition it immediately comes on.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #30
mpm01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats what happens to me. I can clear the code and it stays off during my drive, but as soon as I cycle the ignition it immediately comes on.
I’m taking a wild guess here, but we may be purchasing an OBD2 app that allows us to code out the CELs.... I really hope not as that was half the reason I had the ECU flashed.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #31
Tonyt915
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I hope it was something MP just overlooked when writing the flash and can be fixed. My main reason for the flash was getting rid of emissions so I don't get CEL later on with expensive fixes. The bit of performance gain was just a plus
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #32
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You guys need to purchase the schwaben reader from ECS (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/). Its on sale and any person working on the emissions parts on these vehicles needs a decent code reader or a laptop with ISTA/Rhiengold setup on it (I have both). Generic OBD codes aren't helpful in the least. Another option is the new bimmergeeks coding and diagnosis app that will also read all the BMW codes (I have this also).

As far as the vibration on the heat shield I had this also. The bracket that mounts to the tranny I shimmed that up a little and also rebent the heat shield to add more curve to clear the exhaust.

As far as the codes I am not sure completely. I know that there are different revisions of the DDE that some companies haven't seen yet (Not sure about Mission). My 2016 when it went stage 3 had a more recent version of the DDE hardware that hadn't been seen yet. As such it took a couple revisions of the tune to catch some new codes that mine was spitting out.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #33
Tonyt915
Private
United_States
Rep

Alex from Mission Performance told me to unhook the SCR computer in the trunk. The large pin connector on the back side of the wheel well. Problem solved!! no more check engine light or code
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #34
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

Quote:
Alex from Mission Performance told me to unhook the SCR computer in the trunk. The large pin connector on the back side of the wheel well. Problem solved!! no more check engine light or code
Ah, that was in the instructions with the JR tune. EGR / SCR had to be unplugged. Glad it was an easy fix!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #35
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:
That is awesome! What are your first impressions?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #36
Tonyt915
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
Ah, that was in the instructions with the JR tune. EGR / SCR had to be unplugged. Glad it was an easy fix!
The instruction for the Buzzken pipe had something about it but was barely legible, but since MP didn't have it listed on the tune instructions I left it connected along with the EGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
That is awesome! What are your first impressions?
I like it. I come from big American V8's and some imports so I feel for the money, bang for the buck isn't there for the gains at $1700. I didn't buy this car for performance though, so any extra power along with less weight and DEF delete is nice. The tune really improved on response when taking off from a stop and I can feel a noticeable power increase from 0-90. After 90 the car loses some steam and feels no better than before. Exhaust tone with the factory muffler is still very near stock tone while driving and even when accelerating from the inside. With the windows down you can hear it a bit more, but not above the wind noise. Did a drive by for a friend and he said it definitely sounds more like a diesel now. You hear the turbo spool for a moment then the deep exhaust note really comes out and takes over. Sort of like a Ford super duty Diesel. Don't know what rear gearing the 328d gets, but really wish it had longer gears. Feels like the trans isn't in gear long enough for the engine to stay in the power curve. As soon as it really starting to pull the trans is grabbing the next gear and it falls on its face, and so on for every shift.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #37
mpm01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You guys need to purchase the schwaben reader from ECS (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/). Its on sale and any person working on the emissions parts on these vehicles needs a decent code reader or a laptop with ISTA/Rhiengold setup on it (I have both). Generic OBD codes aren't helpful in the least. Another option is the new bimmergeeks coding and diagnosis app that will also read all the BMW codes (I have this also).

As far as the vibration on the heat shield I had this also. The bracket that mounts to the tranny I shimmed that up a little and also rebent the heat shield to add more curve to clear the exhaust.

As far as the codes I am not sure completely. I know that there are different revisions of the DDE that some companies haven't seen yet (Not sure about Mission). My 2016 when it went stage 3 had a more recent version of the DDE hardware that hadn't been seen yet. As such it took a couple revisions of the tune to catch some new codes that mine was spitting out.
I completely missed the updates to this thread. Are you saying that your linked reader will display and clear codes related to emissions once emissions components are removed? I have BimmerLink and their recommended OBD2 transmitter, but the clear function never lasts through a power cycle.

Quote:
I like it. I come from big American V8's and some imports so I feel for the money, bang for the buck isn't there for the gains at $1700..
I agree with this statement 100%. The options were limited and either just as pricey or half-assed. If AARod ever resolves my EGR sensor CEL, I'll be satisfied enough to mildly recommend to others.

Last edited by mpm01; 01-15-2019 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: additional comment
Appreciate 0