F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 430i xD GC - Adaptive suspension/M Sport brakes
GetBMWParts

03-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
anketp
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord 05

Garage List
430i xD GC - Adaptive suspension/M Sport brakes

I am close to finalizing my preferences for a 430i xD GC with the M sport package. I am on the fence about getting the Adaptive Suspension. I drove a 430i xD GC with adaptive and one without - I couldn't make out a big difference during my drives. Do you guys have a recommendation for adaptive or stock suspension?

Similarly for the M sport brakes - my only dealer in the area did not have car equipped with those. There are mainly cosmetic for me. Will they actually provide any significant improvement for a commuter? I also have no idea what to expect from the variable steering included in the THP.

Highly unlikely I'll be tracking the car - it's going to be a commuter with the occasional out-of-state trip. I also plan to put all-season tires on - not summer performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #2
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by anketp View Post
I am close to finalizing my preferences for a 430i xD GC with the M sport package. I am on the fence about getting the Adaptive Suspension. I drove a 430i xD GC with adaptive and one without - I couldn't make out a big difference during my drives. Do you guys have a recommendation for adaptive or stock suspension?

Similarly for the M sport brakes - my only dealer in the area did not have car equipped with those. There are mainly cosmetic for me. Will they actually provide any significant improvement for a commuter? I also have no idea what to expect from the variable steering included in the THP.

Highly unlikely I'll be tracking the car - it's going to be a commuter with the occasional out-of-state trip. I also plan to put all-season tires on - not summer performance.
I found adaptive suspension (EDC) floaty on a xDrive F30 and standard xdrive suspension is floaty to me too. Standard is supposed to be between adaptive's comfort and sport. If you're going to switch to aftermarkets like coilovers anyways, save the money and skip adaptive suspension. With EDC, I ended up getting shockware (software for EDC) and aftermarket springs to fix the floatiness. My wife uses comfort and i use sports

M sport brakes reduces the stopping distance by a couple meters or so. but it's mainly better for heat dissipation for frequent braking like on a track. The downside to m sport brakes is more likely to squeak and produce lots of brake dust on the rims.

VSS - i'd totally skip this. it changes the steering ratio when the steering wheel is turned at high angles. helps old ppl park their car and amateurs feel less understeer. But it feels very weird and throws you off in sweeping turns and roads with lots of twist and turns requiring lock to lock.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 1
anketp2.50
      03-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
I don't take mine to the track..it's a daily driver with the stock brakes, and they perform excellent. They've got great stopping power and the only reason why I'd want the m-performance brakes are for looks.

anketp2.50
      03-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
technologic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI 440i

I like the stock xDrive suspension on the 2018 GC. Had it for 7 months and I like it as a daily driver. I find it balanced. I test drove a '17 and found it to be softer. It's one of the updated items on the LCI. Never tried adaptive suspension as I prioritized other things when I bought but i've seen folks rave about it. Used to have a 2014 X1 M Sport and the xdrive suspension was very stiff/tight and rather harsh comparatively.
Appreciate 1
anketp2.50
      03-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

I had a pre-LCI f30 xdrive with the base suspension, and it was a rolling, leaning mess on windy roads. Currently in a 435xi with adaptive msport suspension, and it handles well. It's a night and day difference. I've not driven the facelift model yet, so maybe the xdrive base suspension is improved. Unless I had some convincing test drives on windy roads to confirm that though, I'd prioritize the msport adaptive if you want an xdrive.
Appreciate 1
anketp2.50