F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > It's Black Friday and I potentially want an intake...
ARMA SPEED

11-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
Sedds
F30 Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340ix

It's Black Friday and I potentially want an intake...

First: I'm new here. Just snagged a 2017 340ix with 30k on the odo. Coming from a bolted/tuned 2012 Mazdaspeed 3 that was an absolute blast of a car. Time to grow up though... sorta.

Second: have been lurking on this forum for about a month and am not happy to admit I've spent more than 5 hours reading about intakes for the B58 (I'm grateful for all the smart tech people on here who drop real knowledge - thanks). Just read a 12 page thread about the CTS intake on the 335.

I didn't want to make this post, because I don't want it to be the 14,983rd intake post and if you guys are anything like the Mazdaspeedforums guys, well people get sick of reading the same stuff over and over. So, here's the deal.

I'm down to 3 options:

1. CTS
2. MST
3. AFE drop in

It's 2020, so you guys are going off at least 2-3 years experience with this platform and these products. I trust you even though I don't know you. This is what I need to know and how it applies to my future plans.

Future plans are JB4 and most likely IC and DP at some point. I am not concerned about heat soak at all. Plenty of experience with the Speed 3 and never really saw or had any issues. I live in mostly rural southeast CT and rarely am sitting in traffic letting the engine idle. I don't even sit at the drive thru.

I'm concerned about fuel trims and running lean due to a larger diameter TIP, MAF issues, and obviously CELs. I noticed CTS guarantees their intake for the N55 but not the B58...what's the deal there? On the Mazda, if you even thought about going larger than the stock 2.5"ish diameter TIP, you needed a new tune and fuel pump internals because zoom zoom goes boom boom. You get the idea.

So, for those of you with cold hard experience, what are the odds I run into issues with either the CTS or MST? I've got no problem going with the AFE drop in, but it's been a big adjustment driving a car without audible turbo spool. Don't you just love Black Friday? Happy Thanksgiving by the way. And thank you in advance.

Last edited by Sedds; 11-26-2020 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
340i9114s
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i M sport, TH

Im going to do the dinan intake in the near future as my cpo warranty is up soon.

Just curious, why do you plan on performance mods? I feel like my car (340i) can barely put down the power with the open diff, i can only imagine with more power behind it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
Sedds
F30 Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340i9114s View Post
Im going to do the dinan intake in the near future as my cpo warranty is up soon.

Just curious, why do you plan on performance mods? I feel like my car (340i) can barely put down the power with the open diff, i can only imagine with more power behind it.
I went with AWD due to New England winters. I don't have a ton of experience with AWD drive systems aside from test drives in a Focus RS, Audi S4, Golf R, STI... and I'm coming from a FWD drive car with an LSD that was putting down 320 to just the front wheels. It was still impossible to get all the power down.

Having said that, I want to say that even with the shitty run flat tires my x drive seems to be doing a pretty good job of getting power down. The sweet spot for me would be around 380-420 to the wheels so if I can get there in the future that's the goal. It does suck that these cars do not come with LSD from the factory, especially the RWD ones. I know it's an option to get the M perf diff, but it doesn't come cheap.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
340i9114s
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i M sport, TH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 340i9114s View Post

I went with AWD due to New England winters. I don't have a ton of experience with AWD drive systems aside from test drives in a Focus RS, Audi S4, Golf R, STI... and I'm coming from a FWD drive car with an LSD that was putting down 320 to just the front wheels. It was still impossible to get all the power down.

Having said that, I want to say that even with the shitty run flat tires my x drive seems to be doing a pretty good job of getting power down. The sweet spot for me would be around 380-420 to the wheels so if I can get there in the future that's the goal. It does suck that these cars do not come with LSD from the factory, especially the RWD ones. I know it's an option to get the M perf diff, but it doesn't come cheap.
Ahh yeah X drive puts it down damn well. Idk why awd skipped my mind. Makes sense, enjoy the new car man
Appreciate 1
Sedds2.00
      11-27-2020, 11:02 PM   #5
mario1208
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 540ix

Quote:
First: I'm new here. Just snagged a 2017 340ix with 30k on the odo. Coming from a bolted/tuned 2012 Mazdaspeed 3 that was an absolute blast of a car. Time to grow up though... sorta.

Second: have been lurking on this forum for about a month and am not happy to admit I've spent more than 5 hours reading about intakes for the B58 (I'm grateful for all the smart tech people on here who drop real knowledge - thanks). Just read a 12 page thread about the CTS intake on the 335.

I didn't want to make this post, because I don't want it to be the 14,983rd intake post and if you guys are anything like the Mazdaspeedforums guys, well people get sick of reading the same stuff over and over. So, here's the deal.

I'm down to 3 options:

1. CTS
2. MST
3. AFE drop in

It's 2020, so you guys are going off at least 2-3 years experience with this platform and these products. I trust you even though I don't know you. This is what I need to know and how it applies to my future plans.

Future plans are JB4 and most likely IC and DP at some point. I am not concerned about heat soak at all. Plenty of experience with the Speed 3 and never really saw or had any issues. I live in mostly rural southeast CT and rarely am sitting in traffic letting the engine idle. I don't even sit at the drive thru.

I'm concerned about fuel trims and running lean due to a larger diameter TIP, MAF issues, and obviously CELs. I noticed CTS guarantees their intake for the N55 but not the B58...what's the deal there? On the Mazda, if you even thought about going larger than the stock 2.5"ish diameter TIP, you needed a new tune and fuel pump internals because zoom zoom goes boom boom. You get the idea.

So, for those of you with cold hard experience, what are the odds I run into issues with either the CTS or MST? I've got no problem going with the AFE drop in, but it's been a big adjustment driving a car without audible turbo spool. Don't you just love Black Friday? Happy Thanksgiving by the way. And thank you in advance.
Congrats on your purchase ..in case I'm selling my AFE intake ..used it for approx. 300ish miles ..purchased in June & have receipt readily available ..it's practically new..if interested lmk ..**recently sold my 335xi that's reason I'm selling the intake**
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:59 PM   #6
mutebustnut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340ix, 2020 M2c 6MT

MST intake

I recently just installed my MST intake onto my 340ix but I am kind of let down. I was expecting some noticeable noises coming from the intake but I can barely hear it even though MST is supposed to be quiet loud. I don't know if I installed the intake wrong because I cannot see any issues with it yet. Just letting you know incase you still are going to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #7
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Save your money for the DP and tune. You won't gain anything except noise with a intake on this platform.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #8
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
And the money for the fuel pump is wasted too, you got already the Supra on in your LCI
      11-30-2020, 08:30 PM   #9
Sedds
F30 Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutebustnut View Post
I recently just installed my MST intake onto my 340ix but I am kind of let down. I was expecting some noticeable noises coming from the intake but I can barely hear it even though MST is supposed to be quiet loud. I don't know if I installed the intake wrong because I cannot see any issues with it yet. Just letting you know incase you still are going to buy one.
Interesting... the YT videos I've watched, which I'm sure you've seen, show it being pretty vibrant when shifting WOT. I don't see how you could have installed it wrong as I've done a few intakes and this definitely looks to be the easiest. Pretty much TIP to turbo and filter to TIP, plug in MAF and go "because racecar" around.

I'm definitely surprised to hear that. I'm going to wait to pull the trigger. Let me know if you experience any changes or throw any codes. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 09:14 PM   #10
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

Honestly, go FTP charge pipe. Charge pipes are known to break on bmws especially when increasing the boost. Increase your throttle response and you won't have to worry about it ever again.

Intake wise i personally would go afe power front grill scoop into their closed box intake system. Friends have this and it works well. You get the scoop from the grill, air is routed through the stock air vent into the afe air box and into the turbo. Cars likes it on the highway. You're looking at ~350 here for both the scoop and closed box intake to compare to a eventuri system which does something similar (closed system + scoop).

You'll have the intake side of the car complete in a sense other than upgrading the heat exchanger.

Downpipe + tune and you'll reach your power goal with ease.
MY13: TTE400 Stage 2 turbo, Spec Single Mass flywheel + Stage 3+ Clutch, FTP V2 Turbo Inlet, Evolution Racewerks Charge pipe + Boost pipe + Intercooler, Turbosmart Recirculating Diverter Valve, aFE grill scoop + aFE Magnum Force Cold Air Intake, B58 coil retrofit, eBay Downpipe, Active Autowerke muffler, DW400 LPFP, B58TU HPFP, M5 s63TU injectors, Bimmermilvs, e80 tune by Navardi Tuned. 380 whp/360 wheel torque stock block
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 09:48 PM   #11
mutebustnut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340ix, 2020 M2c 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutebustnut View Post
Interesting... the YT videos I've watched, which I'm sure you've seen, show it being pretty vibrant when shifting WOT. I don't see how you could have installed it wrong as I've done a few intakes and this definitely looks to be the easiest. Pretty much TIP to turbo and filter to TIP, plug in MAF and go "because racecar" around.

I'm definitely surprised to hear that. I'm going to wait to pull the trigger. Let me know if you experience any changes or throw any codes. Thanks.
I've driven about 100 miles no codes no changes. I think I might be hearing a deep growl sound that isn't coming from the exhaust when I let off the throttle so I think I'm gonna have my friend look at it. If I get it resolved I will lyk how it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 04:22 AM   #12
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
Honestly, go FTP charge pipe. Charge pipes are known to break on bmws especially when increasing the boost. Increase your throttle response and you won't have to worry about it ever again.

Intake wise i personally would go afe power front grill scoop into their closed box intake system. Friends have this and it works well. You get the scoop from the grill, air is routed through the stock air vent into the afe air box and into the turbo. Cars likes it on the highway. You're looking at ~350 here for both the scoop and closed box intake to compare to a eventuri system which does something similar (closed system + scoop).

You'll have the intake side of the car complete in a sense other than upgrading the heat exchanger.

Downpipe + tune and you'll reach your power goal with ease.
There is no chargepipe braking issue with the B58 engine. If you want to change it for the other reason, so go ahead.
jmack548.50