F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > How could this of happened to my Engine *Pictures*
Studio RSR

05-24-2019, 12:34 AM   #1
bimmerdean
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive

How could this of happened to my Engine *Pictures*

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I own a 2013 BMW 328i x drive which has been wonderful until the start of this summer (summer break). A few weeks back the low oil pressure sensor alert on my car came on which I took it to the mechanic's shop and they said it was most likely a faulty sensor. Fast forward a few weeks the car had no other issues which was great until I got the infamous "Drivetrain Malfunction" alert and the car immediately started having issues. I bring it to Baron BMW and they said that there were metal chunks in the oil filter and is most likely the fault of the timing chain. They quoted me a new engine at 14k which wasn't even an option so I bring it to another friend who owns a mechanic shop and works on BMW performance vehicles. They open up the engine and found Oil Slug everywhere, it was disgusting. They said that most likely this engine cannot be saved and another engine is needed. The mechanic doesn't even know how this oil slug formed since we got routine check up's on the car and new oil and filters every 7-9k miles. I know we should of done it sooner but there's no way that it could of caused engine failure...

The engine is an N26 so the timing chain wasn't really a problem. The mechanic cleaned it and said theirs no way of using this again. What do you guys think caused this issue? And is there any way of reducing the cost of this because it seemed like a faulty engine almost... I'm a college student who worked my ass off to help pay for the vehicle and I'm just devastated about this since the car sells for about 13.5k with a working engine and I have no choice but to get a used one installed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:54 AM   #2
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Wow that’s bad
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:20 AM   #3
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Thats cray, so sorry you had to go through this, the sludge looks like prior to your ownership, the oil has never been changed. If you looked through the engine oil cap with a flash light, you could probably see the sludge before you bought the car.
      05-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
Moupe
Monobloc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 M Coupe - '19 F31 330ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post
Thats cray, so sorry you had to go through this, the sludge looks like prior to your ownership, the oil has never been changed. If you looked through the engine oil cap with a flash light, you could probably see the sludge before you bought the car.
+1, that's one of the many risks you take when buying a used vehicle. Many people treat leased -even bought- cars like shit as they know they will just pass the buck onto the next unsuspecting owner(s).

Hope you can get that sh!t figured out bruh. That engine don't look healthy mayn.
-2002 S54 M Coupé - Steel Gray / Dark Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #5
bimmerdean
Rep

**Update

The mechanic cleaned a lot of the sludge out and the car is already doing better. He recommends that we drive it and push the engine hard at this point so we can do oil changes every 1,000 miles to flush out all the sludge. Then I'm planning on trading it in for another beamer once the engines up to par.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmajidy View Post
The mechanic cleaned a lot of the sludge out and the car is already doing better. He recommends that we drive it and push the engine hard at this point so we can do oil changes every 1,000 miles to flush out all the sludge. Then I'm planning on trading it in for another beamer once the engines up to par.
I feel bad for the next guy then lol. Bimmer engines are so strong, it lives even after going through hell. What's the mileage on your car anyway ?
      05-24-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I wonder how many times has the oil been changed on your car. Do you have any service recs from prior owner(s) ?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 11:13 PM   #8
bimmerdean
Rep

Engine is dead...

The engine is completely gone, the other day there was engine knocking coming from the pistons, oil changes were done in a timely manner, every 6-9k miles (previous owner as well) and a ton of sludge built up? How is this possible, can I contact BMW or my insurance to cover this. This issue seemed inevitable.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 11:25 PM   #9
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

FWIW - did some reading...

"Sludge is usually caused by a poorly designed or defective crankcase ventilation system, low engine operating temperatures, the presence of water in the oil or crankshaft-induced cavitation, and can accumulate with use. Oil sludge that causes an engine to run poorly or even seize is a rare occurrence and typically happens only when oil changes have been neglected or if the car has been driven extensively with an extremely low oil level."

Personally, I'd find a wrecked BMW and pull that motor versus a new engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #10
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Damn. That is a bad hit. Look on car parts dot Com for used engines. Should be able to find some easily. Also run Shell Rotella T6. It's diesel rated oil but I've been using it on seversl turbo cars for years with no issues. The detergents in it will really clean the insides and prevent this kind of sludging. I would change it every 7-10K as well, and the filters every other oci.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
SW6Steve
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

I used https://www.auto-rx.com/ on my old VW Passat.
The VW 1.8 turbo engine was renown for this problem. Poor oil change routine (not by me) and high turbo temperatures caused the issues.
I followed the cleaning program to the letter.
I could not believe the amount of filth that was removed at filter changes.
The results were amazing for me. I could see how clean the top of the engine was through the oil filler cap.
I also kept up with the maintenance program afterwards, with no more issues.
As I said it worked for me!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 01:40 AM   #12
arvi604
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi SPORT

Get a used engine. The previous owner lied to you about how frequently they were getting oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

I used LKQ.com when I blew my 2006 is250 motor (radiator cracked on way to Vegas in summer) ended up getting a 2011 engine with only 50k miles on it... cars has been running like a champ ever since(my sons car now... with over 200k miles, with about 40k on the replaced engine with no issues)

You can get 2013 328i engines on there for about $1000 on up....could be back on the road for about $3000 after install. That's your best bet right now
Appreciate 0