F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > almost immediate buyer's remorse on BMW 440 GC
proTUNING Freaks

08-24-2019, 01:31 AM   #133
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

here another one to end this thread on a high note... love my car
Attached Images

Last edited by Gen13 F36; 08-24-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 6
Bogey4me152.00
kern4174446.50
GenXer1363.00
cfm56d7b5886.00
      08-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #134
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollpoll View Post
GC was not in my original shopping list though. I was eyeing a 440 coupe for long time and once thought who would actually buy a 4 door 4 series. the May/June 2019 model close-out sale made me finally pull the trigger.
I thought good lease incentive wouldn't last long.
so I hurried to a nearby dealer and they provided fairly good discount. But there were only a few Gran coupe version 440 left on their lot, not a single coupe.

(understandable the coupe looks much stylish and cooler. and sells better. So at the close-out sale, only slowly selling GC left on their lot which not many people would buy here in California)

I thought this incentive wouldn't last long so I just picked up one of their leftover 440 GC with M sport package.

I didn't have a coupe on their lot to compare at that time. Around that time I though there might not be much difference between coupe and GC except for two extra doors.

But later on, when I saw a coupe parking not far away from my GC, I see couple looks way much better than GC. GC is like a combination of 3 series wagon and 4 series coupe design. but the combination result may be even worse than F30 sedan's look? I start to regret I should have stick to my original plan with coupe. The GC is so much less beautiful and cool than coupe.

the dings on the look of GC I found
1. smaller front door and tiny rear door makes it a little funny when door opened
2. worse side view from smaller front door window
3. lifted roof line makes its rear silhouette swelled and beefy, this makes GC more like a sport wagon, other than coupe, or like... a coupe that loses control of its diet?
4. fitting 4 doors into a body originally designed for coupe finally somewhat kills the overall look of coupe. all doors have to be cut shorter than normal. but a coupe should have longer sleek doors shouldn't it?
5. I just feel 4GC and 4 coupe are different cars. In my opinion, in terms of looking, 4GC looks closer to F30 sedan than F32 coupe. Maybe GC shouldn't have been placed into 4-series lineup?
6. overall coupe is cooler than boring sedan look of GC.

I don't really need "practicality" as single and no kids.
The 4 series GC is one of the most beautiful cars BMW has made. Plus it's practical. You can put back seats down and fit sooo much in it when you need to. Also people can actually fit in the back seat, unlike in my M4. My boys both have the 4er GC and I think it's better looking than my M4.
Appreciate 2
DL335D580.00
      08-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #135
pollpoll
Rep
Drives: BMW 440 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
yeah, time to end this thread. I agreed GC is among the most beautiful cars on roads, if not parked besides a F32 Coupe.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2019, 09:03 PM   #136
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
yeah, time to end this thread. I agreed GC is among the most beautiful cars on roads, if not parked besides a F32 Coupe.
You would have stood a better chance of "ending this thread" if you omitted everything after most beautiful cars on the roads and just put a period there vs the comma and the parting shot...oh well :-)
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      08-27-2019, 12:44 AM   #137
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
everyones opinion is different, I don't like the look and wouldn't buy one. looks like a crossover, and think it's funny they call it a coupe when it has 4 doors.. 5 technically.. sucks, you shoulda stuck it out and got your REAL coupe. hindsight and all that.. how much time is left on your lease?
You might be confusing the gc with the 3 GT. The 3 GT looks more like a crossover and wagon fused together. The 4 gc looks nothing like a crossover. Maybe google 4 gran coupe and check out some images, you'll see what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 12:48 AM   #138
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
They're both nice cars, coupe and gran coupe. It sucks you ended up with the one you like less. I get it. We've all been there, getting stuck with cars we don't really want. I'll say the bmw 4gc isn't a bad car to be stuck with for a few years though. There are much worse "mistake cars" one can get stuck with.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #139
oregondonor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Garage List
Quote:
It is more accurate to be called 4 series wagon
Why isn't is a 3-series Grand Coupe? It has four doors.
2016 435i MSport ZHP #85

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #140
jordan35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
GC was not in my original shopping list though. I was eyeing a 440 coupe for long time and once thought who would actually buy a 4 door 4 series. the May/June 2019 model close-out sale made me finally pull the trigger.
I thought good lease incentive wouldn't last long.
so I hurried to a nearby dealer and they provided fairly good discount. But there were only a few Gran coupe version 440 left on their lot, not a single coupe.

(understandable the coupe looks much stylish and cooler. and sells better. So at the close-out sale, only slowly selling GC left on their lot which not many people would buy here in California)

I thought this incentive wouldn't last long so I just picked up one of their leftover 440 GC with M sport package.

I didn't have a coupe on their lot to compare at that time. Around that time I though there might not be much difference between coupe and GC except for two extra doors.

But later on, when I saw a coupe parking not far away from my GC, I see couple looks way much better than GC. GC is like a combination of 3 series wagon and 4 series coupe design. but the combination result may be even worse than F30 sedan's look? I start to regret I should have stick to my original plan with coupe. The GC is so much less beautiful and cool than coupe.

the dings on the look of GC I found
1. smaller front door and tiny rear door makes it a little funny when door opened
2. worse side view from smaller front door window
3. lifted roof line makes its rear silhouette swelled and beefy, this makes GC more like a sport wagon, other than coupe, or like... a coupe that loses control of its diet?
4. fitting 4 doors into a body originally designed for coupe finally somewhat kills the overall look of coupe. all doors have to be cut shorter than normal. but a coupe should have longer sleek doors shouldn't it?
5. I just feel 4GC and 4 coupe are different cars. In my opinion, in terms of looking, 4GC looks closer to F30 sedan than F32 coupe. Maybe GC shouldn't have been placed into 4-series lineup?
6. overall coupe is cooler than boring sedan look of GC.

I don't really need "practicality" as single and no kids.
F30 looks good though...

CURRENT: '18 340i
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #141
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondonor View Post
Quote:
It is more accurate to be called 4 series wagon
Because it is a sedan (haha)........
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #142
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondonor View Post
Here's my understanding of it, and it actually makes a lot of sense. They don't call it a "Coupe", they call it a "Grand Coupe". A coupe is usually characterized by 3 things:
  1. A fixed roof
  2. A sloping rear (the slanted rear greenhouse as opposed to a more upright boxed greenhouse of the sedan)
  3. Two doors

The Grand Coupe has #1 and #2 but adds to #3. In that sense it is a Coupe that "improves" on one category, #3. It has more than two doors, which makes it a "Grand" coupe rather than just a coupe. Kind of like how a Supermarket has more for sale than a Market.

Essentially, it is a sedan styled to look like a coupe's rear.

Trade magazines tend to cater to what is entertaining rather than what is factual, and poking fun and fanning the flames at the naming of a 4 door a coupe is more entertaining to read and gets more traffic. But here's the truth of it. I know, I must be fun at parties.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0