F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Paddle shifters: basic questions
Extreme Powerhouse

03-09-2020, 04:07 PM   #23
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinopath View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuefordTjustice View Post
If you have a pre LCI the up shift hold won't work
My 2017 440i is pre LCI and the holding upshift works, 4 series didn't go LCI until 2018 model year.
Technically, yes. I guess N-series engines vs. B-series engines is more accurate. LCI in the context of the F30 is MY2016 and up.
      03-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #24
Sinner328
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2016

Thank you for all y’all’s responses. I’ll be trying the pulling + paddle and both paddles and see what happens (2016 N20)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #25
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428 F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
A flick of the lever left then right is pretty quick, imo. My car is pre-LCI, so the paddle pull method is not an option. I wonder if this can be coded. Though I really wish it was like some DCTs where pulling both paddles puts it in neutral.
It is quick but it gets annoying if you're downshifting 10 + times during a drive you and you constantly have to do that
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 11:50 AM   #26
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiolli View Post
Quote:
A flick of the lever left then right is pretty quick, imo. My car is pre-LCI, so the paddle pull method is not an option. I wonder if this can be coded. Though I really wish it was like some DCTs where pulling both paddles puts it in neutral.
It is quick but it gets annoying if you're downshifting 10 + times during a drive you and you constantly have to do that
If you're downshifting that often, wouldn't it make more sense to just leave it in manual mode?
      03-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #27
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you're downshifting that often, wouldn't it make more sense to just leave it in manual mode?
The downshift is more for engine breaking. I have the habit of downshifting whenever a red light or stop is ahead to save my brakes a little bit. Then when I get to a stop or slow down I don't want to have to shift up through 1, 2, 3, etc so I do that whole exercise
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #28
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The downshift is more for engine breaking. I have the habit of downshifting whenever a red light or stop is ahead to save my brakes a little bit. Then when I get to a stop or slow down I don't want to have to shift up through 1, 2, 3, etc so I do that whole exercise
Ok. The transmission does downshift automatically as you're coming to a stop, though not as pre-emptively as you might to engine brake. I remember an old teacher once told me replacing brakes is easier and cheaper than a clutch/tranny and that's why he doesn't engine brake as often. I'm not sure how much added strain it puts on the ZF and engine and how that might affect longevity, but if it's brakes vs. tranny/drivetrain, I'd rather replace brake components. Obviously, it's different if you're coming down a long incline where not overheating your brakes becomes a consideration.
      03-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #29
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ok. The transmission does downshift automatically as you're coming to a stop, though not as pre-emptively as you might to engine brake. I remember an old teacher once told me replacing brakes is easier and cheaper than a clutch/tranny and that's why he doesn't engine brake as often. I'm not sure how much added strain it puts on the ZF and engine and how that might affect longevity, but if it's brakes vs. tranny/drivetrain, I'd rather replace brake components. Obviously, it's different if you're coming down a long incline where not overheating your brakes becomes a consideration.
True, I probably do it way too often. I should stop. Lol
Appreciate 0