F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 / N26 Timing Chain Failure Log
Extreme Powerhouse
View Poll Results: Did you experience timing chain failure on your N20 engine?
Yes, my timing chain failed or required replacement. 28 14.21%
No, I have not experienced timing chain failure. 164 83.25%
I replaced my timing chain as a preventative measure. 5 2.54%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #287
Wojtasso
New Member
2
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: F36
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: EU

iTrader: (0)

Hi everyone.
I have read that after 03/2015 BMW changed materials used in timing chain system (chain, rail guides etc) and after that, the colour of rails should be white. I just checked mine thru the oil filling cap and its seems that I have old rails because they are yellowish! But my car is produced on 09/2015. Should I be prepared for timing chain replace? I have 80kkm.
Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #288
obert
Brigadier General
obert's Avatar
United_States
1696
Rep
4,262
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle Wa

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtasso View Post
Hi everyone.
I have read that after 03/2015 BMW changed materials used in timing chain system (chain, rail guides etc) and after that, the colour of rails should be white. I just checked mine thru the oil filling cap and its seems that I have old rails because they are yellowish! But my car is produced on 09/2015. Should I be prepared for timing chain replace? I have 80kkm.
Kind regards
Over time the white will turn to brown due to heat even with the new rail material. You are fine
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #289
Wojtasso
New Member
2
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: F36
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: EU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
Over time the white will turn to brown due to heat even with the new rail material. You are fine
Thank a lot for your reply! What do you think about timing chain scoring marks? Is this normal for this milage? I have absolutly no whilling noise etc.

Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #290
//Melon
Designer, Builder, Thrasher of Tires.
//Melon's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
51
Posts

Drives: 1987 BMW 325, 2014 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: BR, Louisiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtasso View Post
Thank a lot for your reply! What do you think about timing chain scoring marks? Is this normal for this milage? I have absolutly no whilling noise etc.

Kind regards
The guide looks good to me, I'd keep up with your oil changes, and keep taking a look, and listen.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #291
chrisca70
New Member
27
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: E84 N20B20, E30 M42B18
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Treasure coast

iTrader: (0)

I hope this get a sticky on the original post. The way they diagnose the chain guides at the dealership is by hearing the engine between 3-4k rpm. There is a unique noise that sounds like a whine caused by friction between the failing guides and the chain. This is a tell tale sign. Even if your car is working fine and not generating any codes, if it has the whine, you better bring it to BMW to get it officially diagnosed. If you are under 7yr/70k miles and your car is eligible you get a free repair. If not there is a class action suit against BMW that has been settled and will pay partially this repair if your car is less than 8yr/100k mi. The benefits of this settlement start in February 2021.

Here some videos so you can recognize the sound: link

Last edited by chrisca70; 09-26-2020 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
sspade980.00

      09-27-2020, 04:13 AM   #292
Wojtasso
New Member
2
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: F36
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: EU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by //Melon View Post
The guide looks good to me, I'd keep up with your oil changes, and keep taking a look, and listen.
Thanks for kind words, I'll keep the oil change intervals at 10kkm and I hope it should be fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisca70 View Post
I hope this get a sticky on the original post. The way they diagnose the chain guides at the dealership is by hearing the engine between 3-4k rpm. There is a unique noise that sounds like a whine caused by friction between the failing guides and the chain. This is a tell tale sign. Even if your car is working fine and not generating any codes, if it has the whine, you better bring it to BMW to get it officially diagnosed. If you are under 7yr/70k miles and your car is eligible you get a free repair. If not there is a class action suit against BMW that has been settled and will pay partially this repair if your car is less than 8yr/100k mi. The benefits of this settlement start in February 2021.

Here some videos so you can recognize the sound: link
Unfortunately here in EU we don't have recall for timing chain issues, we do have to pay for the labour and parts around 4k USD...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 04:47 PM   #293
alx.
Second Lieutenant
alx.'s Avatar
32
Rep
201
Posts

Drives: F30 320iA M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bucharest

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtasso View Post
Thanks for kind words, I'll keep the oil change intervals at 10kkm and I hope it should be fine!



Unfortunately here in EU we don't have recall for timing chain issues, we do have to pay for the labour and parts around 4k USD...
In Romania it's around $1000 USD, I recently purchased an F30 320i with the N20B20 2013 dated and I have the TC bill done at 185.000 KM, car is now at 218.000 KM. It was on the original chain and guides until 185.000, it was done by the PO as PM.

Oil changes have been at max 10.000 KM or 1 year since 140.000 KM, before that I think around 30.000 KM. ASS has been disabled since the TC was done.
__________________
Bmw e46 320d '04 - Sold
Bmw e46 330ci '01 - Sold
Bmw 3-er e90 325i '06 - Sold
Bmw 3-er e92 325xi '08 - Sold
Appreciate 2
sspade980.00

      09-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #294
kerny7678
High Miler
United_States
24
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: 2015 328xi Mineral White
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dayton OH

iTrader: (0)

hey guys I have a thread documenting a whine I am experiencing.

Worried a little on timing issues, check out my videos:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1761991

Thanks
__________________
CTK
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:08 AM   #295
335terp
Enlisted Member
United_States
1
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: '12 328i - 64k mi
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Silver Spring, md

iTrader: (0)

Currently at about ~64,000 miles and experiencing some whining but it's most noticable at lower speeds only. In case this is the guide, I wanted to know anyone's experience after they had the replacement done.

Has anyone had any residual issues or anything like that after changing the assembly?
I am assuming that if the job is done properly that everything should be smooth with it going forward. I just want to make sure before I think about getting the job done.

(Oil changes were very poor before I bought the car, around 12-15k miles per change up to 50,000 miles.)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST