F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 191C02 code alone.
proTUNING Freaks

06-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
hollovoid7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 428xi Gran Coupe

*solved*

Greetings!

I am getting a 191C02 code, which ista is saying is "Fuel tank ventilation system, second inlet point: malfunction." That I can't seem to get to go away. Some context.
I originally had 3 codes.
191C02
190F08 "fuel tank ventilation system: malfunction"
And
195014 "differential pressure sensor, tank vent valve, signal permanently stuck"

And SAE code P0440 which is generic for evap small leak detected.

So I bought a new gas cap as mine had slight cracking on rubber seal, I also bought a new vent valve, and unhooked the line to the small Venturi (second Inlet point) and blew compressed air through it to check for obstructions as instructed by ABL from ISTA. I have a new venturi coming as a last resort but I did feel vacuum from the sensor port when I blew air through so I'm guessing it's not going to help. My question is, what else can cause the second inlet fault? Am I missing something? I have gone through the entire car for cracked lines and holes, re checked all connections and made sure all snap connections were on all the way.

I can reset it but within 40 miles it's back again, just the 191C02 by itself.

Any ideas or relevant experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sean
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #2
hollovoid7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Still trying to figure this one out, Any suggestions are welcome!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
hollovoid7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ok! I got it. So I replaced the Tank ventilation valve which got rid of 2 of the codes, but the second inlet one kept persisting. Even though it felt free of obstruction, and I couldn't find any leaks I changed the Venturi that hooks to the tank vent valve line and second inlet sensor, and 180 miles so far without issue.

In case anyone else runs into this, hope it helps!!
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ944.50

09-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Ur3sss
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollovoid7 View Post
Ok! I got it. So I replaced the Tank ventilation valve which got rid of 2 of the codes, but the second inlet one kept persisting. Even though it felt free of obstruction, and I couldn't find any leaks I changed the Venturi that hooks to the tank vent valve line and second inlet sensor, and 180 miles so far without issue.

Im having the same issue right now, 191C02 code is persisting. No leaks and vent valve is replaced. Do you have the part number for what solved your issue? I've been chasing this issue on and off for nearly a month now.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
hollovoid7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur3sss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollovoid7 View Post

Im having the same issue right now, 191C02 code is persisting. No leaks and vent valve is replaced. Do you have the part number for what solved your issue? I've been chasing this issue on and off for nearly a month now.
On Turner it's called the fuel tank breather valve line. Part number 13907601515.

Was about 65$, that is the bmw number so just
Make sure that's the one for your car and get it from your place of choice. Hopefully that does it for you! It was driving me crazy too!
Appreciate 0