F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension questions
Extreme Powerhouse

04-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #23
js 84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterifle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by js 84 View Post
Hi I have Bilstein B6 on my car with stock springs. Had them for 12 months. The difference was significant. The floaty feeling was was almost gone. The car feels much more planted. The ride is stiffer but, to me it still comfortable. One of the best mods on my car.

I am will install Eibach springs next Monday. They have similar drop to ACS, but are slightly cheaper. I understand that ACS is also produced by Eibach. So you can consider Eibach springs instead of ACS. In one week I will be able to tell how is the ride with B6 and lowered springs.
Hey js! Yeah man, that would be awesome! If you don't mind me asking, could I see a photo of your gap with the B6 w/ stock springs? I was looking at the gap recently, and my back seems shorter than the front. Which is kind of odd, the shocks might be blown out? I'm not too sure.
Hi, picked up my car few hours ago. Here are the picks on wheel gap when picked up the car. To me it is hard to tell the diff in the drop in back, but front is noticeable. I understand that the springs will settle in next 2 weeks so will se how the gap changes. Had short drive of 50km mostly city driving and first impressions are good. I am happy that the springs did not have negative effect on the driving comfort, at least for me. The car is stiffer but not too stiff. I drove approx 2km on bad cobble stone road and car felt the same as before.

Tomorrow I will have 250 km drive outside city with some bends, so I will be able to tell more
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 03:30 PM   #24
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 + 2015 335i xDrive

Quote:
Hi, picked up my car few hours ago. Here are the picks on wheel gap when picked up the car. To me it is hard to tell the diff in the drop in back, but front is noticeable. I understand that the springs will settle in next 2 weeks so will se how the gap changes. Had short drive of 50km mostly city driving and first impressions are good. I am happy that the springs did not have negative effect on the driving comfort, at least for me. The car is stiffer but not too stiff. I drove approx 2km on bad cobble stone road and car felt the same as before.

Tomorrow I will have 250 km drive outside city with some bends, so I will be able to tell more
That drop looks pretty good to me compared to your previous photos. I ended up buying ACS springs yesterday for my 2015 335i xDrive Sedan. I will be DIY installing them sometime in the next few weeks most likely. I'll take some good pictures and measurements before/after. Curious to see if ACS gives me too much reverse rake and hopefully I won't wish I went with Eibach. If mine comes out close to yours or just a tad lower I'll be very pleased. Does your car have xDrive? I noticed your before photo had huge front wheel gap just like my 335i xDrive car.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 03:09 AM   #25
js 84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe89 View Post
Quote:

That drop looks pretty good to me compared to your previous photos. I ended up buying ACS springs yesterday for my 2015 335i xDrive Sedan. I will be DIY installing them sometime in the next few weeks most likely. I'll take some good pictures and measurements before/after. Curious to see if ACS gives me too much reverse rake and hopefully I won't wish I went with Eibach. If mine comes out close to yours or just a tad lower I'll be very pleased. Does your car have xDrive? I noticed your before photo had huge front wheel gap just like my 335i xDrive car.
My car is RWD. It was on stock springs, not M-sport, therefore it was sitting higher. Now the wheel gap looks similar front and back.

The guys in the service said that one of my old rear springs was damaged so it was perfect timing to change springs.

I had a trip of 250km through country side and I can tell you that I am pleased with the result. The car is more planted and the body roll is reduced. With stock springs and B6 in some rare cases with compression at higher speeds you could still feel car being slightly unsettled, now I think this has been solved.

I drove also on some bad roads and driving comfort has not suffered, for me it is now perfect balance between sporty and still comfortable.

It will be in interesting to hear about your impressions after ACS install and to see the drop difference.

I actually got quote for ACS springs from local distributor before I purchased Eibach, it would have been twice the price of my Eibachs.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #26
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
My car is RWD. It was on stock springs, not M-sport, therefore it was sitting higher. Now the wheel gap looks similar front and back.

The guys in the service said that one of my old rear springs was damaged so it was perfect timing to change springs.

I had a trip of 250km through country side and I can tell you that I am pleased with the result. The car is more planted and the body roll is reduced. With stock springs and B6 in some rare cases with compression at higher speeds you could still feel car being slightly unsettled, now I think this has been solved.

I drove also on some bad roads and driving comfort has not suffered, for me it is now perfect balance between sporty and still comfortable.

It will be in interesting to hear about your impressions after ACS install and to see the drop difference.

I actually got quote for ACS springs from local distributor before I purchased Eibach, it would have been twice the price of my Eibachs.
Thanks JS!

The review was awesome! I would most definitely get the B6 then, but my only downfall is that I might have to go with Koni Sports or Koni FSD cause B6's are impossible to find at the moment.

Most likely i'll be getting the Eibach or ACS, especially with your review.

If you had to choose, which struts would you go with?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 01:58 AM   #27
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quick update, I received my rear Bilstein B8's and I'm just waiting for the fronts.

I was wondering can I run the B8's with stock springs, how well would that be? Since i'm waiting for the front pair, I still have time to make my decision!

Thanks for all the help guys! You've all been awesome!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #28
D041987
Big Turbo Boys N Girls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I 6speed

Running Stock springs with B8's:

1. Will cause the top hats to break more than likely.
2 They are shorter body overall and the stock springs when not compressed are very tall even with stock shocks and will be a pain to install!
3. Just save up money and do it once and do it right!
4. Also with B8's in the back, you will need to trim 1 bump in the rear bump stop or get the M3 bump stops for proper travel of the shock or you will be riding on the bump stop or very close to it and that is a NO NO.

I have the B8's with Red H&R fronts and Blue H&R Rear and it gives the proper level front and rear on a 328i and I have also changed out the Top hats to new ones as mine were worn at 62K and went with the M3 rear bump stops as they were cheap. Car rides very well for a daily and I track her here and there and it works well with the setup.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #29
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D041987 View Post

2 They are shorter body overall and the stock springs when not compressed are very tall even with stock shocks and will be a pain to install!
4. Also with B8's in the back, you will need to trim 1 bump in the rear bump stop or get the M3 bump stops for proper travel of the shock or you will be riding on the bump stop or very close to it and that is a NO NO.

I have the B8's with Red H&R fronts and Blue H&R Rear and it gives the proper level front and rear on a 328i and I have also changed out the Top hats to new ones as mine were worn at 62K and went with the M3 rear bump stops as they were cheap. Car rides very well for a daily and I track her here and there and it works well with the setup.
Thank you so much for the advice, I’m gonna order a pair of springs when I get back from vacation then. I’m probably gonna go with the ACS or Dinan springs!

For the bump stops, would you happen to know the model number of the M3 ones? I could just trim the ones I have, but I think having a back up would be nice.

Oh and I won’t need front ones right? Since the B8’s have internal bump stops
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #30
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
ACS springs do not require new/different bump stops.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #31
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Oh okay! So I can run the B8 + ACS combo with my old bump stops? Or should I trim them?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #32
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Oh okay! So I can run the B8 + ACS combo with my old bump stops? Or should I trim them?
Yes. You sure can. Do not trim bump stops.

I am actually looking at B8's to compliment my ACS springs as well...

Where are you getting yours from?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 01:00 PM   #33
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
B8 shock absorbers are shorter than B6. Using B8 shock absorbers with stock springs may cause bump stops to be too short. But bumps stops are incorporated in the front B8 shock absorbers and cannot be swapped.

I suggest to use B6 shock absorbers with stock OEM springs.
Shouldn't the B6 shocks be fine with Dinan springs? They give the least amount of drop and IIRC they are well within the amount of drop the B6 can handle
      06-23-2018, 02:45 AM   #34
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes. You sure can. Do not trim bump stops.

I am actually looking at B8's to compliment my ACS springs as well...

Where are you getting yours from?
I ordered my set from Bavauto, originally I purchased from TireRack, but it was $20 cheaper to get it from BavAuto!

If I were to order bump stops, they would have to be the M3 version right?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 02:46 AM   #35
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Shouldn't the B6 shocks be fine with Dinan springs? They give the least amount of drop and IIRC they are well within the amount of drop the B6 can handle
From what others on this post and I've read, yeah that's the case! Dinan is a .75 drop right?

I believe the ACS are the same, well the version i'm looking at. But I'm going for ACS because I've heard only good things about their springs.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 02:05 PM   #36
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D041987 View Post

Actually I feel the problems like you mentioned already, we installed the B8's in the rear to try it out with the stock bump stop. When I go over bumps or dips I hear a bang sound in the rear. I'm not too sure what it is, but i'm assuming it's the bump stop hitting the shock. But that isn't a good thing is it?

If that's the case what can I do? I haven't received the front pair yet, but would it be better if I put in the fronts?

Last edited by busterifle; 07-31-2018 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 02:27 AM   #37
Bimiz
Rep
Drives: BmW 2002

Nice review on the Bilstein shocks. I'm still undecided what springs to buy between Eibach and H&R. I've seen a few reviews mentioning those springs but I haven't decided yet what to choose.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #38
Marlinman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

You certainly can run lowering springs with B6's. There is a 6 page thread on it just below this one. The guys that did this report great riding, etc. I think a few of them have had the combo for 2 years or so.

I'm waiting on B6s. Have the ACS springs sitting in garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #39
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Anyone have the M3 bump stops part numbers?

Running ACS springs with stock shocks for now but about to order B8's to compliment them.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #40
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimiz View Post
Nice review on the Bilstein shocks. I'm still undecided what springs to buy between Eibach and H&R. I've seen a few reviews mentioning those springs but I haven't decided yet what to choose.
Personally, i'm gonna get the ACS springs, but if I had to choose between those two it would be Eibach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
You certainly can run lowering springs with B6's. There is a 6 page thread on it just below this one. The guys that did this report great riding, etc. I think a few of them have had the combo for 2 years or so.

Oh yeah I saw that, I actually picked up B8's and i'm having issues with bottoming out on my back right struts. I'm thinking it has to do with the normal bump stop and that it has less travel.

Would it be a bad idea to just lower the car a tad bit then? Or would I have to get the bump stops replaced?

Quote:

Running ACS springs with stock shocks for now but about to order B8's to compliment them.
I'm not sure about the M3 bump stop #'s I hope someone can get that to us.

But how do you like your ACS springs on your stock shocks? Did you have to get an alignment?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #41
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimiz View Post
Personally, i'm gonna get the ACS springs, but if I had to choose between those two it would be Eibach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post

Oh yeah I saw that, I actually picked up B8's and i'm having issues with bottoming out on my back right struts. I'm thinking it has to do with the normal bump stop and that it has less travel.

Would it be a bad idea to just lower the car a tad bit then? Or would I have to get the bump stops replaced?

Quote:

I'm not sure about the M3 bump stop #'s I hope someone can get that to us.

But how do you like your ACS springs on your stock shocks? Did you have to get an alignment?
I love my ACS springs... perfect height adjustment from stock.

Obviously we know that springs alone are not going to make our cars handle like a track star but... these are without a doubt an improvement over stock.

If there was one complaint... ride can be a bit bouncy at times on highway but that has nothing to do with springs and everything to do with stock dampers.

Im addint Bilstein B8 as soon as I can find a complete set. Seem to be out of
stock everywhere!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:06 PM   #42
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Obviously we know that springs alone are not going to make our cars handle like a track star but... these are without a doubt an improvement over stock.

If there was one complaint... ride can be a bit bouncy at times on highway but that has nothing to do with springs and everything to do with stock dampers.

stock everywhere!
That sounds so nice! I'm still debating on getting them. I'm glad you're enjoying your springs!

Were you able to get your new dampers? I'm still waiting on my front pair of B8's supposedly they're delayed till second week of September.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:16 PM   #43
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:

stock everywhere!
That sounds so nice! I'm still debating on getting them. I'm glad you're enjoying your springs!

Were you able to get your new dampers? I'm still waiting on my front pair of B8's supposedly they're delayed till second week of September.
I have my rears... still trying to source fronts... any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #44
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
I think the bumpstop dilemma depends on the exact set up you have... I confirmed with Bilstein that for their shocks without internal bumpstops (like the B4/B6/B8)... they suggest going with the SPRING manufacturers recommendation for trimming/changing OEM bumpstops.

So, in my case - AC Schnitzer designs their springs to work with stock bumpstops therefore I will not be adjusting/changing mine.

For people with other aftermarket springs, could be a different story.
Appreciate 1