F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Banned from the house!
Extreme Powerhouse

07-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
Dave-ncl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Black Shadow Edition

Banned from the house!

I'm considering banning these sugarfree, zero, max type drinks from the house.

By the time you get a bit ice in the glass, you might as well be drinking coloured water.

I was part of the irn bru petition but did the twats listen. Even full fat coke seems to have been diluted even tho they claim they'd never alter the recipe.

I'm just a bit pissed that the change has been forced upon me. I don't drink loads but would like the choice and paying a little extra to satisfy the governments conscience/moneymakingscheme isn't a problem.

Even these cordials have hit too. Robinsons is terrible with this, 'no added sugar'. Had a bottle of ribena recently.... Terrible! Thankfully the original lemon or orange barley water (not fruit and barley) is the saving grace in a depleted line up.

Sad state of affairs.

The only thing currently banned in my house is durian (for perfectly good reasons) but these drinks could join the growing list.

What don't you allow through your door?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Fussy buggers
Appreciate 2
OneExtra810.50
JustChris17487.50
      07-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ncl View Post

By the time you get a bit ice in the glass, you might as well be drinking coloured water.

I was part of the irn bru petition but did the twats listen. Even full fat coke seems to have been diluted even tho they claim they'd never alter the recipe.

I'm just a bit pissed that the change has been forced upon me. I don't drink loads but would like the choice and paying a little extra to satisfy the governments conscience/moneymakingscheme isn't a problem.

Even these cordials have hit too. Robinsons is terrible with this, 'no added sugar'. Had a bottle of ribena recently.... Terrible! Thankfully the original lemon or orange barley water (not fruit and barley) is the saving grace in a depleted line up.

Sad state of affairs.

The only thing currently banned in my house is durian (for perfectly good reasons) but these drinks could join the growing list.

Ian Bru should be banned full stop. Horrible drink with no benefits.

Try Pepsi Max as a sugar free drink that tastes better than the original.

Robinson’s have some new fruit cordial flavours that might be more up your street than one of the squash range aimed at kids - they obviously have to be very careful of the content of those.

What do I ban. Coke. Irn Bru. This may be a clue about where I used to work...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Coca Cola hasn't tasted right since they started using corn syrup 'as sugar' in the mid 80s. Corn syrup as a sugar substitute in a lot of foods is 'possibly' responsible for the obesity epidemic in western countries. The body can't process it the way it processes sugar.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18393391
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post

The old recipe used to be great if it was ice cold and you had a stinking hangover man. Never touched it otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ncl View Post

Sad state of affairs.

durian. Do you live in Asia?!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloo6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post

The old recipe used to be great if it was ice cold and you had a stinking hangover man. Never touched it otherwise.
This:

Fat coke & Mars bars = break glass in emergency
      07-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #8
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M3CP View Post
This:

Fat coke & Mars bars = break glass in emergency
Pepsi Max and a mars bar works brilliantly.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #9
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

San pellegrino lemons used to be good aswell before they reduced the sugar.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #10
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

San pellegrino lemons used to be good aswell before they reduced the sugar.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Apart from class A + B drugs then nothing is banned from the house, no point in banning stuff if it can be bought in any shop should the urge take you.

If you want some full fat Bru or a butter chicken curry then have it , but in sensible moderation.

We have a chap in work who preaches to anyone who will listen about the "bad" dietary habits that we all have and how he leads a very healthy lifestyle along with rigorous eating regime , one thing he hasn`t picked up on is how fuckin ill he looks plus he gets more colds and viruses than anyone i know and was off sick , again , just last week.

As long as consumers are aware of what they are eating / drinking then they can make up their own mind providing they have the facts and intelligence to realize the long term implications

Kenny.
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      07-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #12
Dave-ncl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Black Shadow Edition

I don't drink, don't smoke so need a little comfort and one of my pleasures has been pulled from under my feet.

I had 3 sweet plessures:coke, irn bru and iced lemon teh. Luckily I can still get Nestea or Liptons from a Chinese supermarket.but the other two are up the swanny.

225... I've spent a lot of time in Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Brunei. Durian is putrid in smell. I've never managed to eat any as I can't get past the gas. It's translated to King of fruit (or similar). More like King of stinks.

I've tried the new Robinsons strawberry and kiwi. Yuk. Synthetic shite. Won't try the others as I don't like mango. Are these artificial sweeteners that much better than sugar?

Why don't they take the harmful ingredients out of beer and cigarettes? Civil unrest and a big dent in the coffers. Yeah, typical government... Target the weak.

Oh... Don't get me started on Mars bars. It's an insult to call it a bar. They've shrunk in every direction and the thick chunk of chocolate on the top is now a slither. It's now a Mars finger.

Might have to smuggle some coke on my next trip to Amsterdam.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #13
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Coca Cola hasn't tasted right since they started using corn syrup 'as sugar' in the mid 80s. Corn syrup as a sugar substitute in a lot of foods is 'possibly' responsible for the obesity epidemic in western countries. The body can't process it the way it processes sugar.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18393391
The last time I checked, UK Coke still used sugar, not corn syrup (called glucose fructose syrup in the UK).
      07-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #14
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Honestly you really shouldn’t drink sugary drinks, they are fucking bad for you! I have actually just given up sugar 4 weeks ago and I’ve already lost 8lbs!

Most of that loss I’m pretty sure is visceral fat, which is a main cause of type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

This sugar includes simple carbohydrates, i.e. white bread, white pasta, white rice and potatoes. Just stop eating it, it’s crap your body really doesn’t need.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #15
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Honestly you really shouldn’t drink sugary drinks, they are fucking bad for you! I have actually just given up sugar 4 weeks ago and I’ve already lost 8lbs!

Most of that loss I’m pretty sure is visceral fat, which is a main cause of type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

This sugar includes simple carbohydrates, i.e. white bread, white pasta, white rice and potatoes. Just stop eating it, it’s crap your body really doesn’t need.

Shut. Up. You can't live without bread pasta and potatoes.

That means, no pizza and no pasta and pesto and no baked potatoes. What dafuq are you smoking?
dizzy619446.50
      07-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #16
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
The last time I checked, UK Coke still used sugar, not corn syrup (called glucose fructose syrup in the UK).
That's good if your right

Although they've changed something in the recipe over the years I'm sure .. coke used to taste better back in the day.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #17
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:

Everything in moderation is the key. I eat whatever I want.. but I don't over indulge.

Example: a KFC once every couple of weeks won't hurt most people, but one every day for 10 years .. hmm..get ready for that heart bypass.

Exercise is important too.. you can get away with eating more crap if you exercise more.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #18
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
That's good if your right

Although they've changed something in the recipe over the years I'm sure .. coke used to taste better back in the day.
UK ingredients:

Carbonated Water, Sugar, Colour (Caramel E150d), Phosphoric Acid, Natural Flavourings Including Caffeine.

As taken from https://www.coca-cola.co.uk/drinks/coca-cola/coca-cola

Now, in the USA, coke has high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar and it tastes like shit. It's far too sweet and makes my teeth hurt pretty much as soon as it touches them.
      07-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #19
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Fun Fact: Since the introduction of the so called 'Sugar Tax' the price of Fanta and Fanta Zero in Sainsburys has stayed exactly the same, i.e. they charge the same whether you buy the sugar-free or sugary version.
Attached Images

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 07-20-2018 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #20
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
Shut. Up. You can't live without bread pasta and potatoes.

That means, no pizza and no pasta and pesto and no baked potatoes. What dafuq are you smoking?
I didn’t say no bread, pasta or potatoes, i said no white bread pasta and potatoes! I just eat wholemeal bread, brown pasta and rice, and sweet potatoes.

It doesn’t have to be 100% of the time, eating them once or twice a week isn’t going to matter much.

Oh and I don’t eat any sort of carbs in evening meals, you don’t need carbs when you’re just going to sit on the sofa then lie in bed.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #21
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep

Quote:
I didn’t say no bread, pasta or potatoes, i said no white bread pasta and potatoes! I just eat wholemeal bread, brown pasta and rice, and sweet potatoes.

It doesn’t have to be 100% of the time, eating them once or twice a week isn’t going to matter much.

Oh and I don’t eat any sort of carbs in evening meals, you don’t need carbs when you’re just going to sit on the sofa then lie in bed.
Brown pasta ain't real pasta, that's health food. Sweet potatoes ain't potatoes, they're wedges or sweet potato fries.

White bread is pants, but you don't get brown bread pizza ffs, that needs to be white!
      07-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #22
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:

I like wholemeal bread .. but it's shit toasted.. sorry for toast it has to be white bread only.

A lot of these things are down to genetics anyway .. my grandad had bacon for breakfast every day for years .. he's just passed away at 97!
Appreciate 0