F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Drivetrain Malfunction and Weird Turbo Sound
proTUNING Freaks

02-23-2022, 06:58 PM   #1
23hallkorr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

Drivetrain Malfunction and Weird Turbo Sound

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to put this in, if it is, please direct me to the correct one. Anyways..

I recently bought a 2016 328i, I love the car but in the 2-3 weeks I have had it I have had the drivetrain malfunction pop up twice. First time, was 3 hours after I bought the car, took it home 30 minutes away and while driving in my neighborhood going 25 mph, it popped up. Pulled the car over, it turned itself off, let it sit for a minute and turned it on and all was good. I took the car into the dealership for them to look at it with a code scanner and all he said was that the only thing that seemed a tiny bit suspicious was a past error about a "high pressure fuel pump low pressure" or something like that. So I took it home again and it drove normally for another 2 weeks.

And then, about 2 weeks after the first one, like 5 days ago, it popped up again. This time on the highway going 60 mph, no crazy driving or anything like that. Again, I pulled over, same thing happened, it stalled, I waited, turned it on, and drove normally yet again. I'm wondering if it is anything to worry about.

First time was maybe 1/4 full of gas, maybe more, maybe less. Second time was 1/2-3/4 full on gas. Should I be worried or is this something that I can feel safe ignoring until something more serious happens.

Now for the "issue" with the turbo.. not exactly as issue, it just sounds weird, never hear a turbo sound like this. I sounds more like its whooshing or like scratchy rather than a zoom sound if that if that makes any sense hah. Thanks in advance.

Edit: It would cost me $150 to get it diagnosed along with an overall check up so i'm wondering if that's worth it. I have a decent warranty so it might not be as risky.
Appreciate 0