F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 340i Touring - built status thread
Studio RSR

09-28-2022, 08:26 AM   #639
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos ZimZimma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
That always has been - and still is - a big factor for me too, despite 2.5 years in a Tesla. But, strangely, I don't miss engine/exhaust noise at all when driving the Tesla.

What are you thoughts on the subject MashinBenzin
Interesting you guys saying you don't miss ICE noise. I guess there's pros and cons to EV and ICE and you just accept the plus points of each. I feel like I'm light years away from an EV: partly down to cost, partly down to convenience, partly because I just love the sound of a good engine/exhaust
I see the lack of noise as a positive. Might be different if I was driving full bore through tunnels with the window down for a high proportion of the time, but I'm not, I'm rattling around town. Except not rattling anymore.

The high point for me was the RRS Phev in electric mode - with the luxuries of the Autobiography trim, the intrinsic isolation of the platform and the EV silence, it was an utter dream. Slightly different when the 2.0 four cut in. I'd have it over the SVR (which sounds glorious) any day of the week. A full EV version of a car like that is going to be absolutely mega.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 11:40 AM   #640
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Interesting you guys saying you don't miss ICE noise. I guess there's pros and cons to EV and ICE and you just accept the plus points of each. I feel like I'm light years away from an EV: partly down to cost, partly down to convenience, partly because I just love the sound of a good engine/exhaust
I also love the sound of a good exhaust note (or even better, decent induction noise). This is why my Caterham runs on ITBs and I have 3 different exhausts (with matching ECU maps for each ).

But whilst I've loved the noise from my previous 340i MPPSK/Z3M-Coupe/C63 AMG, I just don't miss having noise when driving the Tesla, which was and still is a complete surprise to me. And the added benefit is that I can bomb around in it without it upsetting anyone, as no-one seems to realise you've accelerated hard away from a corner other than the fact you're disappearing rapidly down the road.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 2
      09-30-2022, 07:07 AM   #641
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
I also love the sound of a good exhaust note (or even better, decent induction noise). This is why my Caterham runs on ITBs and I have 3 different exhausts (with matching ECU maps for each ).

But whilst I've loved the noise from my previous 340i MPPSK/Z3M-Coupe/C63 AMG, I just don't miss having noise when driving the Tesla, which was and still is a complete surprise to me. And the added benefit is that I can bomb around in it without it upsetting anyone, as no-one seems to realise you've accelerated hard away from a corner other than the fact you're disappearing rapidly down the road.
I feel the same about my Tesla - as much as I am a petrolhead, the Tesla craps over almost every normal fossil car on the road, on almost total silence.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:05 AM   #642
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbles View Post
the Tesla craps over almost every normal fossil car on the road, on almost total silence.
As some kind motorist thought he would try to demonstrate to me yesterday and did his GP traffic light start in his fridge on a straight road and wooshed off to excessive speed..... in a 40mph limit !! who then got caught in traffic and seemed to come to realise that on the derestricted B roads that followed he errr didn't know how to drive with bends, so he wasn't so smug and waving his flag then ...or perhaps he was trying to recharge by banging on the brakes all the time.. who knows but it was funny to watch ... for a while

Just don't understand some folk at times but guess it's the same if it's elec or iCE, there's always one.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:11 AM   #643
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones View Post
Quote:
And, of course, crazybones special "9646 Open Workshop Job" code for 2 x new rear tyres...
Grant_7 Congratulations - glad to hear that your collection date is all set. It has been a long journey for you, but with MashinBenzin, we had some fun along the way.

Apologies for the delayed response. I've had a busy few days including delivering our youngest to uni!

My pick up is tomorrow morning, so despite my early lead, you only narrowly missed out on 2nd place I will check my tyres to ensure that all 4 are the same.....
Resurrecting this old thread and the race that our x40is had from factory to driveway (let's remind ourselves that I won, crazybones came second and Grant_7 was last despite ordering months earlier ).

Having run into Crazybones on another forum, it's interesting to see that both he and Grant have had Model 3s for some years. I'm the Tesla newbie, but now both Crazybones and I have Model Ys.

Three happy September 2016 40i owners are now three happy Tesla owners.
It must be the expected way to run… I'm another abandoning the lovely noise of the B58…

I'm now waiting for an i4 M50 to replace my 340i Touring.

Showing to finally start build a week on Monday… 11 month wait so far…

My September 2016 340i came up for replacement mid COVID, so I bought out the PCP and kept it.

The BMW i4 caught my eye and I pre-ordered one last November. The dealer got an 20" wheeled M50 demonstrator last December. I did 101 miles in it and handed it back with 126 remaining. 227 miles from 265 quoted range. I ordered the 19" option for 310 miles range to give a real 250 mile range.
Grant_72020.50
      09-30-2022, 10:05 AM   #644
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
As some kind motorist thought he would try to demonstrate to me yesterday and did his GP traffic light start in his fridge on a straight road and wooshed off to excessive speed..... in a 40mph limit !! who then got caught in traffic and seemed to come to realise that on the derestricted B roads that followed he errr didn't know how to drive with bends, so he wasn't so smug and waving his flag then ...or perhaps he was trying to recharge by banging on the brakes all the time.. who knows but it was funny to watch ... for a while

Just don't understand some folk at times but guess it's the same if it's elec or iCE, there's always one.
There are bellends everywhere, just because they drive an EV does not exclude them from the bellend club
Appreciate 1
Grant_72020.50
      09-30-2022, 02:36 PM   #645
Markos ZimZimma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F31 335i

Quote:
Quote:

This is all massively interesting re 'loved ICE noise yet don't miss it with an EV' as I've never considered this POV before. The recent posts on this thread have been quite enlightening!