F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Can this be the notorious Timing Chain issue? VIDEO
Studio RSR

06-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #23
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10kredline View Post
Here is finally the noise I was talking about. Notice that it gets louder when I turn on the A/C, the knocking/ticking is more noticeable along with the whining noise that everyone mentions about as a Timing Chain/Oil pump chain guide issue.

That might be the closest forum post I've seen to the "real" timing chain whine. I would definitely take that in. It's that very high pitched whine that they seem to look for when doing the work under warranty. I have them give mine a quick check every time I'm in for service, but they won't replace it because it doesn't sound like this. I'm a 2013 n26 with 54k
      06-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #24
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

When the timing chain is shot the whine of the chain drowns out the rest of the engine noise. Yours may be on the way out but judging by the level of whine it's not there yet. What would be definitive is a borescope of the guides to see if they're cracked or have pieces missing. There's no solid evidence of which goes first, the guides or the chain, but if the guides go the chain will surely follow.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 01:58 AM   #25
10kredline
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRii328i View Post
That might be the closest forum post I've seen to the "real" timing chain whine. I would definitely take that in. It's that very high pitched whine that they seem to look for when doing the work under warranty. I have them give mine a quick check every time I'm in for service, but they won't replace it because it doesn't sound like this. I'm a 2013 n26 with 54k
Dude, makes me want to cry because I'm wayyy past the warranty mileage. Each day I'm hearing the knocking and whining more and more. Just gonna have to not drive it from now on until I get it replaced.
      06-08-2020, 02:05 AM   #26
10kredline
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
When the timing chain is shot the whine of the chain drowns out the rest of the engine noise. Yours may be on the way out but judging by the level of whine it's not there yet. What would be definitive is a borescope of the guides to see if they're cracked or have pieces missing. There's no solid evidence of which goes first, the guides or the chain, but if the guides go the chain will surely follow.
The whine does not stand out to me in my opinion. It's not a dramatic whine that I see in other videos but the knocking is what bothers me. It really sounds like a diesel trunk when it's in idle and when I drive. I can hear it from inside the cabin when I drive and seems to be getting loud each time I drive the damn car.