F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech CarPlay MMI - Unboxing and Installation
ARMA SPEED

12-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #111
Chris_ks
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 lci

When choosing option aftermarket camera (which normally should work), i see the following screen although i connected the yellow plug and the brown one(reverse input called) for extra power, hopefully when choosing factory camera i just see my factory sensors as usual without any malfunction so i choosed this option and i didn’t need to remove again the camera plugs until i find the solution to work normal..

Something more, i selected a song from car’s usb and exactly the same song playing from CarPlay, i compared them(for 10 sec listening from usb then 10 sec listening from CarPlay) and I found that I have the same volume when aux in is +8 and not +5 as suggested from BimmerTech..
I made the comparison with car’s usb to be accurate because radio was always higher on stock too.. I think that on CarPlay my bass is a little bit lower than when I was using car’s usb.. (I have hifi system with optical cable)

General it works great, no lag, it “fits” perfect for my screen.. I tested navigation and music and it’s working like it should be..

I have read somewhere in the threat that it has been fixed and when using reverse and the again forward it comes back to CarPlay and not in multimedia menu, for me it doesn’t work this way, when i take out the reverse it doesn’t go to CarPlay but on multimedia menu or Bluetooth menu...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:15 PM   #112
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

Good tip on the volume. I’ll adjust my settings.

Yes, there is a patch available for the reverse bug, reach out to bimmertech and they’ll send it to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #113
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

But shouldn’t my MMI be updated?? I received it last week.. I will send them for this patch when they answer me on my email about the cable which i asked.. I am still waiting their answer..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #114
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ks View Post
But shouldn’t my MMI be updated?? I received it last week.. I will send them for this patch when they answer me on my email about the cable which i asked.. I am still waiting their answer..
Yeah, I would have thought they’d apply the patch but I guess not. It is very easy to do, just copy the patch file to a usb stock, plug it in and switch the car/box on and it’ll patch itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #115
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

I will send them for this and if any other update available..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #116
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

I sent again to support BimmerTech because Nelson answered me after I sent him second email and wrote me to send email to support....

I sent and Patryk replied to me with a file for the update and said me about the question for the cable that is an optional one in case that microphone doesn’t work.

But in my opinion my new MMI should come already updated OR at least inform me via an email to make the update without asking them first...
That was something i didn’t like , but on the other hand Patryk was very helpful and answered me very fast to my questions..

I tried for the update and my screen is restarting continuously.. Is it normal?? What showed to you when updating? (I removed the usb and stopped restarting and then when reverse and then forward it doesn’t come off the CarPlay like before)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #117
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Quote:
I sent again to support BimmerTech because Nelson answered me after I sent him second email and wrote me to send email to support....

I sent and Patryk replied to me with a file for the update and said me about the question for the cable that is an optional one in case that microphone doesn’t work.

But in my opinion my new MMI should come already updated OR at least inform me via an email to make the update without asking them first...
That was something i didn’t like , but on the other hand Patryk was very helpful and answered me very fast to my questions..

I tried for the update and my screen is restarting continuously.. Is it normal?? What showed to you when updating? (I removed the usb and stopped restarting and then when reverse and then forward it doesn’t come off the CarPlay like before)
Yep, it’s a bit odd with the update. It just keeps updating and restarting until you pull out the usb. I think once it’s been through one cycle then it’s done.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 05:21 AM   #118
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

Yes Patryk confirmed this..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #119
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

Just some CarPlay tips..
First important thing is to use the original Apple cable.. I used a shorter one at first and the sound wasn’t as good as it should be!! Even more I had some disconnects from CarPlay.. I changed to original one and it’s working fine and sound is great now!
Second one when on music app, if you click the i drive knob on next “button” and when is already pressed you turn it right it keeps going faster forward until moving the knob..
Third one, for Anyone who have Apple Watch, you can skip songs or make a call from the watch if you find it more useful and it works just like pressing the idrive knob.. But you can’t receive a call from watch(It doesn’t ring probably because iphone Bluetooth is off)..

If anyone else have any tips, are welcome ..
Appreciate 2
x-m4n148.00
      12-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #120
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
Just some CarPlay tips..
First important thing is to use the original Apple cable.. I used a shorter one at first and the sound wasn’t as good as it should be!! Even more I had some disconnects from CarPlay.. I changed to original one and it’s working fine and sound is great now!
Second one when on music app, if you click the i drive knob on next “button” and when is already pressed you turn it right it keeps going faster forward until moving the knob..
Third one, for Anyone who have Apple Watch, you can skip songs or make a call from the watch if you find it more useful and it works just like pressing the idrive knob.. But you can’t receive a call from watch(It doesn’t ring probably because iphone Bluetooth is off)..

If anyone else have any tips, are welcome ..
How do you run the USB cable. Through the center console?

Did you notice differences with audio call quality (you and the other party)?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 04:44 PM   #121
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

Yes through the center console and it comes out next to the passengers seat.. It’s very useful for me there because I have my iphone cable connected and then the phone mount on grills next to alarm lights button.. So cable position is better than before(oem)..
(I will post a photo tomorrow)

I made a comparison as i said while listening to music from car’s usb and CarPlay, playing the same song.. (I did it 5-6 times each day for two days)
I found better aux sound at +8.. When I had the shorter cable connected to iphone(not oringinal of course) the sound was good but somehow with a little bit lower bass... Plus i had two disconnects(stopped playing and showed me CarPlay main menu)..

When i replaced cable with original one i saw difference in sound and bass was even better from the one from usb.. So great sound for my CarPlay.. I think it’s easy for everyone to do this test and confirm this.. Just make sure to use same songs for comparison and don’t change the volume during “test”..

About phone calls my sound is not exactly the same as Bluetooth, I can’t explain the difference between them but they are both clear in a different way.. Maybe there is less “noise” in CarPlay calls than Bluetooth..
From the other part i asked they hear me better as they said me but i prefer to check it myself and see the difference.. By first chance i will put my girlfriend in car and i will make a call when connected from Bluetooth and then from CarPlay.. That’s a “real” test for me..
Edit: i did this too, I didn’t hear any serious difference in volume, just a little bit higher in CarPlay but for sure I had clear sound when in CarPlay mode and there is always some noise in sound when connected with Bluetooth.. But it’s just details.. Both ways are useful..
Attached Images

Last edited by Chris_ks; 12-15-2018 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Photos attached
Appreciate 2
x-m4n148.00
      12-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #122
ocas23
Rep
Drives: 11 535i

Couldn't I just hide most of the USB cable behind the dash, then route the Iphone cable thru the vent so if I used a vent mount for the iPhone it would complete a minimalist look?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #123
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocas23 View Post
Couldn't I just hide most of the USB cable behind the dash, then route the Iphone cable thru the vent so if I used a vent mount for the iPhone it would complete a minimalist look?
I am looking into that as something I need to figure out once I decide to get the MMI device. I just think maybe if the cable could run all the way to the center console (armrest) and then continue running the cable in there
Appreciate 1
ocas233.50
      12-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #124
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

You can put it everywhere you like, I like it there and I have the option to use usb as media player too..
but you need to have access to mmi usb in order to make any update etc
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #125
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You can put it everywhere you like, I like it there and I have the option to use usb as media player too..
but you need to have access to mmi usb in order to make any update etc
This is interesting. The existing (armrest) USB cable can be used for CarPlay!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #126
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

I guess you mean next to the original one, not to replace it.. This way yes of course you can fit it there..

Just for me is more useful next to passengers seat in order to have it closer to the center grills and in a hidden place like this..
I moved the seat to take the photo, when seat is in place no one ca see it.. I am just happy with it and I like very much how google maps etc is made for CarPlay..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #127
chesterflaps
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Msport X30D

Hi.

I have a Dec 2017 F20 with business nav and idrive 5. Can I get the bimmertech box? If so how much is it? And are there plans for wireless capability?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #128
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

Hi, I have it in my 2016 F20 too.. You can go at BimmerTech site and use your vin to check for sure if it’s compatible and see the price too.. I made the same before I order..
They have said that there are no plans for wireless..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #129
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I have one for sale

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post24135289
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #130
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

Can anyone make the following “test”?
Get in car, connect iphone and when is normally connected to CarPlay press the button with the phone icon from the steering wheel(photo attached) and tell me if you have immediately a pop up on your iphone screen which asks “the phone app to contact with MMI” ???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #131
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
@Patrys@BimmerTech

Any word on full screen yet? My money is burning a hole in my wallet waiting for it.

12-31-2018, 09:31 AM   #132
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not sure what went wrong with their plans to include full screen!

The alternative device available that uses car's OEM mic would be unique-ad.co.uk

Cheaper and includes screen mirroring as well.
Appreciate 1
ooshnoo877.50