F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Strange Knocking Noise from Steering
GetBMWParts

05-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Strange Knocking Noise from Steering

I know this is the F30 forum but many of you have/had F20s and i'm guessing the F30 is the same steering rack of some sort.

Our F21 has started a strange knocking noise from the steering wheel (Servotronic Steering) - it's definitely the steering wheel and not the suspension. When you turn the wheel you get the odd knock every so often and you feel it through the wheel and hear it (It's not loud, you have to turn the radio off to hear it). It does it whether it's in Normal or Sport mode.

My question is, is this normal and does anyone else experience it in their F20/F30s?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
amsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Like this ?

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1264026
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
Senna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G21 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
I know this is the F30 forum but many of you have/had F20s and i'm guessing the F30 is the same steering rack of some sort.

Our F21 has started a strange knocking noise from the steering wheel (Servotronic Steering) - it's definitely the steering wheel and not the suspension. When you turn the wheel you get the odd knock every so often and you feel it through the wheel and hear it (It's not loud, you have to turn the radio off to hear it). It does it whether it's in Normal or Sport mode.

My question is, is this normal and does anyone else experience it in their F20/F30s?
Steering rack, known fault, stick to your guns and get it replaced under warranty,I did and it cured the problem
      05-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsbmw View Post
I found this just after i'd posted!

Not quite, it's no where near as bad as that or loud but yes a very similar noise. It's looking like a common problem but don't think they'd even consider replacing the steering rack on mine yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna View Post
Steering rack, known fault, stick to your guns and get it replaced under warranty,I did and it cured the problem
How bad was yours when it was replaced?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 04:37 AM   #6
Senna
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
How bad was yours when it was replaced?
It was not bad at all, in fact did to do it when going over pot holes in a straight line, much to my embarrassment when a BMW technician drove it down a country road they use to identify where any knocks or rattles are coming from.
I went away feeling like a bit of a plonker, then realised it only did it when steering wheel was on lock, say turning into a car park with a dropped kerb.
Took it back to same technician and he drove it over some dropped kerbs, he heard it then !
Even then the dealership were not going to replace it as BMW have issued a statement about the problem stating it is not dangerous and would not fail an MOT when it was due.
As you can understand I was not happy and on the recommendation of a forum member complained to BMW finance.
They were very good and authorised the rack replacement under warranty.
That cured it, it was soooo much better.
Stick to your guns and they will replace yours.
      12-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #7
BimmerSkunk
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 340i

Quote:
It was not bad at all, in fact did to do it when going over pot holes in a straight line, much to my embarrassment when a BMW technician drove it down a country road they use to identify where any knocks or rattles are coming from.
I went away feeling like a bit of a plonker, then realised it only did it when steering wheel was on lock, say turning into a car park with a dropped kerb.
Took it back to same technician and he drove it over some dropped kerbs, he heard it then !
Even then the dealership were not going to replace it as BMW have issued a statement about the problem stating it is not dangerous and would not fail an MOT when it was due.
As you can understand I was not happy and on the recommendation of a forum member complained to BMW finance.
They were very good and authorised the rack replacement under warranty.
That cured it, it was soooo much better.
Stick to your guns and they will replace yours.
Senna,

Sorry to post this video in so many threads, but did it sound like this?

This is something the dealer has diagnosed as the VSS and says is normal. I think it's a bad strut or mount. Trying to determine what I want to insist they look at when I go back Friday.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
Senna
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanSkiVT View Post
Senna,

This is something the dealer has diagnosed as the VSS and says is normal. I think it's a bad strut or mount. Trying to determine what I want to insist they look at when I go back Friday.
Sorry not been on for a while,did you get it sorted?
I am sure it is your steering rack,get BMW US involved and demand it is fixed.
That is what I did.
      06-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
BimmerSkunk
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 340i

Quote:
Sorry not been on for a while,did you get it sorted?
I am sure it is your steering rack,get BMW US involved and demand it is fixed.
That is what I did.
Believe it or not it was actually the front shocks, not the rack. Rack was step 1, no improvement. Shocks were step 2, that fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 03:41 AM   #10
UKF30
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 LCI Black Saphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanSkiVT View Post
Senna,

My F10 has developed exactly same sound from driver front side and I did think it was something to do with shock , I never had time to get it checked yet but will soon

Already had new steering rack put in after 6 weeks of delivery

Thanks for sharing the video mate
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:55 AM   #11
black_sb
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI 530d

Knocking on steering wheel F10 LCI

Hi all,

I see that this subject is old, but I am experiencing the same problem like it is described, knocking on my F10 steering wheel when car is standing or on low speed.
I went to BMW and after they install new software (program the car) problem still remain, but reduced 30%. So their suggestion (or better say diagnostic report) is that I need to change cable between Active Steering control unit and plug adapter and between plug adapter servo motor.
Did somebody have the same problem and did this resolve the issue?
Thanks!

Last edited by black_sb; 10-31-2018 at 06:01 AM..
Appreciate 0