F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPPSK without tune
Extreme Powerhouse

03-11-2024, 11:17 PM   #1
xuxxed
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: f36 440i, e90 335i

Question MPPSK without tune

I'm planning on installing MPPSK myself since the dealer's quote was out of my budget. Does anyone have sound clips of the exhaust without the tune that comes with it? I've been searching for a video but haven't had any luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 03:32 AM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I don't think you will find any clips of that. It will sound boring (compared to the real thing). But of course you can get the "sound effects" through an external, thrid-party tune.

Probably not a concern where you are, just be aware that the exhaust without the software, has no type-approval for your vehicle. In most of Europe you would have issues passing technical inspection.
      03-12-2024, 07:37 AM   #3
p0p
Ninja
Rep
Drives: N54 & B58

Garage List
not sure if it has the tune
https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/5...-AND-SOUND-KIT
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 07:39 AM   #4
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Wouldn't make sense to advertise with just half of the product installed.... of course it would have the tune too. The exhaust is not offered by BMW separately.
      03-12-2024, 03:56 PM   #5
p0p
Ninja
Rep
Drives: N54 & B58

Garage List
I really don't care what others put on their cars. But BM3PSK or a MHDPSK would be kinda cool I guess.

Part Number: 18-30-2-406-953 You will also need the tips.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 04:39 PM   #6
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

I think you can buy at least part of the exhaust from the mppsk kit without the tune. Makes sense from a replacement standpoint (like if I got rear-ended).

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...MtMGwtbDYtZ2Fz

If you search harder than I did, I wouldn't be surprised if the midpipe sections are available, too. but if not, that would be the easiest part for an exhaust shop to build
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 06:06 PM   #7
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Yes, you can buy it as a spare part. But legally it is not type-approved for installation on its own. Just FYI.
      03-12-2024, 07:56 PM   #8
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

If you're going to buy just the exhaust why not just get the whole kit with the tune? I've yet to hear an aftermarket tune that sounded as good as the MPPSK tune. Although the MPPSK tune would become your stock map if you ever flashed an aftermarket tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 07:56 PM   #9
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

they sell the engine bay mppsk badge as a part you can purchase as well. the tune requires a FSC key that gets uploaded to bmw servers and gets tied to your vin. only a dealer can do this, and it comes in an envelope with the mppsk kit. this is why getting the mppsk tune is virtually impossible if you buy the exhaust as just parts to install yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 05:01 AM   #10
Samuaw
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
If you're going to buy just the exhaust why not just get the whole kit with the tune? I've yet to hear an aftermarket tune that sounded as good as the MPPSK tune. Although the MPPSK tune would become your stock map if you ever flashed an aftermarket tune.
Are you talking about the full rev range including the MPPSK burble?

If so, i agree- the MPPSK burble cannot be replicated with any after market tune as it is just so dynamic with how the car is driven and isn't as simple as just burble strength and duration as per BM3 criteria

As for the rest of the sound range, i didn't really notice a difference from Stage 1 BM3, to MPPSK. so i assume Stock would also sound the same up until the burble/over run part.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 05:09 AM   #11
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

The MPPSK burble / gunshots are available via MHD. I have not noticed any difference between the stock MPPSK and MHD's MPPSK settings. And to me - those burbles/gunshots are extremely well balanced, never had the need to have more of either.
      03-13-2024, 03:21 PM   #12
Samuaw
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
The MPPSK burble / gunshots are available via MHD. I have not noticed any difference between the stock MPPSK and MHD's MPPSK settings. And to me - those burbles/gunshots are extremely well balanced, never had the need to have more of either.
If that’s the case…. I need to give MHD a go!
So if anything that means good news for OP, that he could get the exhaust and MHD and he has peiced together the MPPSK with more power for less than the original whole kit
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 04:39 PM   #13
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I can't say for sure but there was a thread on here about the MHD MPPSK map and people were saying it doesn't sound like the MPPSK tune. I haven't used the MHD MPPSK tune myself so I can't speak first hand though.

In general I'm referring to the mild rumbles from overrun that varies based on throttle input not the loud burbles or bangs. That low rumble is bliss.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 07:34 PM   #14
andyb313
Private
Rep
Drives: F32 440i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
I can't say for sure but there was a thread on here about the MHD MPPSK map and people were saying it doesn't sound like the MPPSK tune. I haven't used the MHD MPPSK tune myself so I can't speak first hand though.

In general I'm referring to the mild rumbles from overrun that varies based on throttle input not the loud burbles or bangs. That low rumble is bliss.
Is was a little bit disappointed with burbles going from MPPSK to mhd stage 1 , they are fine on mhd but there's just something not the same, maybe less pops etc.

Now I'm stage 2 with a 200 cel cat with xhp and I have to say I'm very happy with how it sounds with burbles set to 1 and OEM aggressiveness
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 01:49 PM   #15
DrinCW
Rep
Drives: E92

I installed the MPPSK exhaust without the tune.

It sounds better than the stock exhaust and you still get some pops and burbles in sport mode. Not sure how it compares to someone with the MPPSK tune.

Sorry, I don't have any videos.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 12:36 PM   #16
E90lova
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinCW View Post
I installed the MPPSK exhaust without the tune.

It sounds better than the stock exhaust and you still get some pops and burbles in sport mode. Not sure how it compares to someone with the MPPSK tune.

Sorry, I don't have any videos.
Any increase in go?
Appreciate 0