F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > First time logs
ARMA SPEED

03-10-2024, 02:35 PM   #1
paulnur
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i & 2018 S560

First time logs

Hey everyone,

I feel like I am in a good place as the car stands and will be in this configuration for awhile (aside from a TU pump that I have on the way). I want to start getting a better understanding on how to read logs and what to look for,

Main reason for this post is I wanted to get some input from some of you who have experience taking a look at logs,

My current set up is,

MHD stage 2 with 93 mutli tune with flex enabled
Targeting e40
Stock intake
Catless downpipe

From my understanding reading around and speaking with MHD e40 is the best to target with stock turbo and stock fueling to get the most power,

https://datazap.me/u/paulnur/file-1-2-3-3102024

Last edited by paulnur; 03-10-2024 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 07:52 PM   #2
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Using MHD right? Upload the logs to datazap and re-post
      03-10-2024, 08:50 PM   #3
paulnur
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
Using MHD right? Upload the logs to datazap and re-post
I saw that when exporting, I was wondering if there was a service out there to plot these datapoints on a graph lol, just updated post, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 12:07 AM   #4
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnur View Post
Hey everyone,

I feel like I am in a good place as the car stands and will be in this configuration for awhile (aside from a TU pump that I have on the way). I want to start getting a better understanding on how to read logs and what to look for,

Main reason for this post is I wanted to get some input from some of you who have experience taking a look at logs,

My current set up is,

MHD stage 2 with 93 mutli tune with flex enabled
Targeting e40
Stock intake
Catless downpipe

From my understanding reading around and speaking with MHD e40 is the best to target with stock turbo and stock fueling to get the most power,

https://datazap.me/u/paulnur/file-1-2-3-3102024

The log looks absolutely excellent. Nice and healthy.
      03-11-2024, 04:54 AM   #5
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

This is a very nicely written article if you are wanting to learn more about reading your logs.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26340913
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 12:39 PM   #6
DieselDuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWB58

Log is good. But if you're targetting max power on stock hpfp you should probably target 20 to 30% ethanol, as on 40% the flexfuel kit will target lower boost in order to prevent the stock hpfp from losing railpressure.

With TU hpfp on the other hand on E40 the difference will be big. I'm at around ~21 psi tapering down to 19 psi on E40 MHD with tu hpfp and 18° of timing advance.
M140i - MHD Stage 2+ E40 - XHP Stage 3 - Catless DP - TU HPFP - MP LSD - MP Exhaust - Endless ME20 brakepads w/ Castrol SRF fluid - Bilstein B12 - Millway solid rear subframe bushings - Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 06:16 PM   #7
paulnur
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrxToBeamerGuy View Post
The log looks absolutely excellent. Nice and healthy.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigterm2.0 View Post
This is a very nicely written article if you are wanting to learn more about reading your logs.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26340913
Wow, will definitely read over this tonight, thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDuck View Post
Log is good. But if you're targetting max power on stock hpfp you should probably target 20 to 30% ethanol, as on 40% the flexfuel kit will target lower boost in order to prevent the stock hpfp from losing railpressure.

With TU hpfp on the other hand on E40 the difference will be big. I'm at around ~21 psi tapering down to 19 psi on E40 MHD with tu hpfp and 18° of timing advance.
Ah gotcha. Yeah boost looked a little low but I assumed it was because of that, need the TU pump or better to make use of the extra flow.

That is really good to hear it will be a big difference as my new intake & TU pump just got deliver today. New intake & TU pump going in on the same day? I can’t wait.

I will be installing them both shortly. I unfortunately can run any logs tonight as I picked up a large bolt/nail in one of my brand new Michelin 4S ☹️ and that will be replaced in the next few days. I’ll have logs soon with intake & TU
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 10:59 PM   #8
paulnur
Private
Rep

Regardless of the nail I did some runs

What do you think

So cool to see how the computer calibrates and progressively improves after each pull

Run 1 https://datazap.me/u/paulnur/3112024-stage-2-file-run-1

Run 2 https://datazap.me/u/paulnur/3112024-stage-2-file-run-2

Run 3 https://datazap.me/u/paulnur/3112024-stage-2-file-run-3

Run 4 https://datazap.me/u/paulnur/3112024-stage-2-file-run-4

Run 5 https://datazap.me/u/paulnur/3112024-stage-2-file-run-5

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 10:40 AM   #9
DieselDuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Looks good. I find it interesting even though you have the flexfuel kit you seem to have slightly more timing corrections than me (in 95% of my logs I have 0 timing corrections). But as you said it seems to clear up in the latest log. By no means the corrections are worrysome anyways. Your car seems to run well.

Comparing your logs with mine, yours seems to run similar although I seem to get more timing advance. I must note that I use the multi-map slots on the steering wheel depending what fuel (mix) I'm driving on, I calculate it myself and don't use a flexfuel kit. I have availability of 93oct and even 95oct sometimes (102ron) and also E85. Most of the time I am running the MHD E40 OTS. Every few months I run a full tank of pump gas.

As a reference this is a recent log of mine (I healthcheck 1-2 times a year), but I have the stock intake system (personal preference).

https://datazap.me/u/zd/log-17069652...45-46-47-48-49

This was with lower outside temperatures than yours. When it starts getting hotter outside I notice higher boost levels which is normal due to change of air density and the DME doing its job to get the AFR's right.
M140i - MHD Stage 2+ E40 - XHP Stage 3 - Catless DP - TU HPFP - MP LSD - MP Exhaust - Endless ME20 brakepads w/ Castrol SRF fluid - Bilstein B12 - Millway solid rear subframe bushings - Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 03:07 PM   #10
paulnur
Private
Rep

Quote:
Looks good. I find it interesting even though you have the flexfuel kit you seem to have slightly more timing corrections than me (in 95% of my logs I have 0 timing corrections). But as you said it seems to clear up in the latest log. By no means the corrections are worrysome anyways. Your car seems to run well.

Comparing your logs with mine, yours seems to run similar although I seem to get more timing advance. I must note that I use the multi-map slots on the steering wheel depending what fuel (mix) I'm driving on, I calculate it myself and don't use a flexfuel kit. I have availability of 93oct and even 95oct sometimes (102ron) and also E85. Most of the time I am running the MHD E40 OTS. Every few months I run a full tank of pump gas.

As a reference this is a recent log of mine (I healthcheck 1-2 times a year), but I have the stock intake system (personal preference).

This was with lower outside temperatures than yours. When it starts getting hotter outside I notice higher boost levels which is normal due to change of air density and the DME doing its job to get the AFR's right.
I was told by MHD it is safer to run the flex analyzer as it will in real time adjust the tune. Agreed, this was the 5th time doing a pull with a brand new fuel pump, after a few hundred more miles I will do some more data logging to see if it improves,

When you run at e40 tune aren’t there two sides of the coin where it’s only e35 and the timing is lower or higher? Or e45 and the timing is higher or lower? I don’t know which side of the coin would result in more timing more or less e,

I’ll take a look at the logs tonight, I appreciate you sharing them.

Last edited by paulnur; 03-13-2024 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 10:07 PM   #11
paulnur
Private
Rep

Quote:

Any idea why your mean rail pressure is not as constant as mine? Excited to run some logs this weekend and see how the car is behaving vs the first 5 initial runs. Hope I can get some more timing out of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 12:43 AM   #12
DieselDuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnur View Post
Any idea why your mean rail pressure is not as constant as mine? Excited to run some logs this weekend and see how the car is behaving vs the first 5 initial runs. Hope I can get some more timing out of it.
I was running a bit too much ethanol 😅 E85 is cheap so I always try to put a bit more than needed but this is clearly the limit haha
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 12:48 PM   #13
paulnur
Private
Rep

Quote:
I was running a bit too much ethanol 😅 E85 is cheap so I always try to put a bit more than needed but this is clearly the limit haha
Oh lmao
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 04:56 AM   #14
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Since this is my first experience using ethanol, is the "E85" in your areas branded as "51%-83%" Flex Fuel, or do you guys have places that actually sell you E85?!

I can't find actual E85 in this city... And how they can call it "E85" when the percentage they're advertising doesn't even include "85%" is beyond me...

And are either of you running a flex fuel kit (if your E85 is a wildly large range of ethanol content like mine)? I get that it's branded as "Flex Fuel".. but damn... Makes it hard to get a constant octane to dial in your tune. I want consistent power... Not "safety adjusted because I have inconsistent octane" power. 😂🤣
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 07:51 AM   #15
g340ix
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i xdrive

Quote:
Since this is my first experience using ethanol, is the "E85" in your areas branded as "51%-83%" Flex Fuel, or do you guys have places that actually sell you E85?!

I can't find actual E85 in this city... And how they can call it "E85" when the percentage they're advertising doesn't even include "85%" is beyond me...

And are either of you running a flex fuel kit (if your E85 is a wildly large range of ethanol content like mine)? I get that it's branded as "Flex Fuel".. but damn... Makes it hard to get a constant octane to dial in your tune. I want consistent power... Not "safety adjusted because I have inconsistent octane" power. 😂🤣
gas stations usually have a winter mix with lower ethanol content depending on where you are in the country and time of year. I'm in new york, i've seen from 65% up to 80%
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 12:54 PM   #16
DieselDuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Nah I don't have a flex fuel kit. I mix myself but at this point it's just 2nd nature for me.

I been running the E40 map for some years and go to the same two gas stations where I know as good as exactly how much "E85" I have to put in to then fill up with 93 oct(98ron) to have the car running perfectly.

When I started this back in the day it was just a matter of logging and analyzing until the logs were perfect. I run a log still now and then just to make sure all is running okay.

Color of spark plugs look fine every time, as do the logs, and I am pretty anal about my preventive maintenance too, I'm not saving a penny on the car. In the beginning I had sent some logs to MHD to ask their opinion, and Momir from MHD told me my mix looked perfect based on the logs and the car was running as it should.

About the ethanol percentage, I'm based in Europe but I'm sure it's similar in the US.. it's just as g340ix above says, it's not really ever 85%, usually more around the 65-75% mark and in the winter is when they usually blend in a little more pump gas.

You also want to mix with the best pump gas available, 93 or 95 aki (98 or 102 ron) to make sure you have the highest octane rating possible, as this is the entire point.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 11:39 PM   #17
paulnur
Private
Rep

Installed new CCV hose becasue I got a code and aparently mine was cracked, most likely it being a high milagage car & messing with the intake having it flex about,

Did some runs this evening after installing the new one, what do you think,

From looking at my logs anyone have any idea what I am pushing to the wheels? I am hoping close to advertized with the MDH stage 2+ e40~ close to 500,

Second to last run: https://datazap.me/u/paulnur/3252024...34-35-36-37-38

Last run: https://datazap.me/u/paulnur/3252024...34-35-36-37-38
Appreciate 0