F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Door Ding On Loaner, Question
GetBMWParts

12-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #23
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
I had two incidents in the past 12 months:

Hit a brick in a bmw loaner on the highway, and then hit a deer before that in my own car.

It's the comprehensive deductible, not the collision. It's less than $100 a year more.
I’m surprised those were covered under comprehensive - hitting the deer in particular sounds like collision. Rule of thumb I was told is that if you were in the car and it was moving, then it’s collision.
If it jumps in front of you and you cannot avoid it: That is not your fault

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #24
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
And the loss of value on your car with 2 Carfax accidents in less than 12 months.

Geez.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #25
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
That sounds like a no-fault collision. Hey, I’m not arguing with the insurance company’s determination, just super confused that hitting a deer falls under comprehensive coverage.

I always figured comprehensive was for stuff like your parked car getting vandalized. If you live in deer country then it does sound like $0 deductible comprehensive is a wise decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #26
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
And the loss of value on your car with 2 Carfax accidents in less than 12 months.

Geez.
It was my old 335 which was a lease, and the other was a loaner from the dealer.

Again, it's a no lose for me. Keep trying to be negative and wishing ill will on people. Great way to go through life.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 05:28 PM   #27
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That sounds like a no-fault collision. Hey, I’m not arguing with the insurance company’s determination, just super confused that hitting a deer falls under comprehensive coverage.

I always figured comprehensive was for stuff like your parked car getting vandalized. If you live in deer country then it does sound like $0 deductible comprehensive is a wise decision.
Yea! Most deer accidents are comprehensive. In PA they are everywhere. Especially this time of year.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #28
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Again, I’m the only one that has posted 3rd party facts as to cost etc.

Obviously, you cannot handle reality.

A SINGLE Comprehensive Claim raises your rate an average of 2% for 3-5 years.

Multiple Comprehensive Claims, especially within 12 months such as your case....get ready.

https://www.nbcnews.com/businessmain...ums-2D11757507

Quote:

Accidents with Deer are always considered under comprehensive.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 12-09-2018 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #29
YodaMan79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i Xdrive

So I'm basically out $500 no matter what from what I'm reading. Such garbage. In all the years of ownership on my 3 not one ding on my car. Gotta love inconsiderate people. Pretty expensive loaner.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #30
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again, I'm the only one that has posted 3rd party facts as to cost etc.

Obviously, you cannot handle reality.

A SINGLE Comprehensive Claim raises your rate an average of 2% for 3-5 years.

Multiple Comprehensive Claims, especially within 12 months such as your case....get ready.

https://www.nbcnews.com/businessmain...ums-2D11757507

Quote:
That sounds like a no-fault collision. Hey, I'm not arguing with the insurance company's determination, just super confused that hitting a deer falls under comprehensive coverage.

Accidents with Deer are always considered under comprehensive.
The last incident happened 8 months ago. Insurance has already been renewed at same rate.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #31
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaMan79 View Post
So I'm basically out $500 no matter what from what I'm reading. Such garbage. In all the years of ownership on my 3 not one ding on my car. Gotta love inconsiderate people. Pretty expensive loaner.
Again, pay the bill for YOUR car repair with a credit card that has rental insurance coverage and file for the $500 from them as the “loaner” was a essentially a rental covered by the repair bill.

Not saying it will work 100% but it sure won’t if you do not try.

I’d sure press hard for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:44 PM   #32
kikcaffine
Private
Rep
Drives: 1m

Bummer, they arent even trying to remove the dent, just spraying the entire panel.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #33
Zentan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C / 6MT / SO

I'm just here chillin with my popcorn listening to the debate between IK6SPEED and Blubaron79. I was always under the impression that insurance companies increase your rates if you report ANYTHING to their database. But who knows.

I live in NY now but when I lived in Dallas for a few years, they have a "Hit and Run" coverage (something along those lines). So technically, if you accidentally rear end a pole, you could call the police for a hit and run report and call it in through that coverage plan. Did it twice and all is good! Rates have not gone up.
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791430.50
      12-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #34
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentan View Post
I'm just here chillin with my popcorn listening to the debate between IK6SPEED and Blubaron79. I was always under the impression that insurance companies increase your rates if you report ANYTHING to their database. But who knows.

I live in NY now but when I lived in Dallas for a few years, they have a "Hit and Run" coverage (something along those lines). So technically, if you accidentally rear end a pole, you could call the police for a hit and run report and call it in through that coverage plan. Did it twice and all is good! Rates have not gone up.
I was rear-ended and was assured by my insurance agent that they would not raise my rates. This was Allstate in CA. I filed a claim and my insurance subrogated the claim with the person who hit my car. So I did pay my deductible but received a full refund once everything was paid by the other insurance company. My rates didn't go up at all until a few years later when I moved to Southern California but everyone's rates are going up here.

Also, what you're talking about is insurance fraud. That's just wrong. It takes away from people who really have to use the hit and run coverage. You're the type of person to buy a TV at Best Buy, use it for the Super Bowl, and then return it the next weekend. A loser who abuses good faith policies and ruins them for everybody. I hope eventually you get caught and punished accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #35
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I'll have to get a copy of what I signed, if I did. I don't remember doing so.

*this is the dealers body shop too
As it's the dealers bodyshop...

You could ask them how much it would be to repair the door at full retail price, not cost. If they say the $1100 is full retail, then you can ask why they want to profit from a customers misfortune.

At full retail they are essentially using your misfortune to get an additional order for their bodyshop

That would be very harsh when the only reason you had their car, was because you were paying them to work on your own. And had you been in your own car and dinged the door, you could of course have taken it to any bodyshop, almost all of which would gladly have undercut the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #36
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by movietub View Post
As it's the dealers bodyshop...

You could ask them how much it would be to repair the door at full retail price, not cost. If they say the $1100 is full retail, then you can ask why they want to profit from a customers misfortune.

At full retail they are essentially using your misfortune to get an additional order for their bodyshop

That would be very harsh when the only reason you had their car, was because you were paying them to work on your own. And had you been in your own car and dinged the door, you could of course have taken it to any bodyshop, almost all of which would gladly have undercut the dealer.
Try reading the Estimate in OP and tell us how many Dealers charge $52 an hour for labor.....or any Independent worth a damn that charges that little that you claim would Undercut the price.

Furthermore, you are arguing the owner of a vehicle has no right on where their vehicle is repaired. Are you one that also piles on against Insurance Companies telling posters to get their car repaired where they want in an accident? Cannot have it both ways.

And finally, they should charge MSRP. I’m shocked they didn’t. It’s the OPs Insurance that should be paying. Not the OP.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #37
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

Quote:
Try reading the Estimate in OP and tell us how many Dealers charge $52 an hour for labor.....or any Independent worth a damn that charges that little that you claim would Undercut the price.

Furthermore, you are arguing the owner of a vehicle has no right on where their vehicle is repaired. Are you one that also piles on against Insurance Companies telling posters to get their car repaired where they want in an accident? Cannot have it both ways.

And finally, they should charge MSRP. I’m shocked they didn’t. It’s the OPs Insurance that should be paying. Not the OP.
I'm not arguing that at all, I think if the insurance is paying out they will arrange the fix, so who cares where they choose, if they do choose. That has nothing to do with this case however, as it isn't the OP's own car. My point is that the OP should ask if the dealer is telling them the price they would give a new customer, or if they are asking for the money just to cover costs to get the car back into good order.

I think it's a fair question - although from your comments it sounds like you think the $1100 is quite cheap, so maybe they are already doing it for 'cost', or less than normal at least.

My point was that there is a difference between a dealer being fair about how to sort out an unfortunate incident so that they are not left with a damaged car.. Or instead choosing to pounce on a customer to effectively get their car repaired and make some extra profit in doing so.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #38
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by movietub View Post
Quote:

I'm not arguing that at all, I think if the insurance is paying out they will arrange the fix, so who cares where they choose, if they do choose. That has nothing to do with this case however, as it isn't the OP's own car. My point is that the OP should ask if the dealer is telling them the price they would give a new customer, or if they are asking for the money just to cover costs to get the car back into good order.

I think it's a fair question - although from your comments it sounds like you think the $1100 is quite cheap, so maybe they are already doing it for 'cost', or less than normal at least.

My point was that there is a difference between a dealer being fair about how to sort out an unfortunate incident so that they are not left with a damaged car.. Or instead choosing to pounce on a customer to effectively get their car repaired and make some extra profit in doing so.
They are losing money as they need to disclose the "new" car has been repainted.

And that you think an Individual Owner’s rights are different than a Dealer owning the car is comical.

Again, OP paying same deductible whether bill is $600, $1200 or $2400. So asking for discount is mute.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 12-10-2018 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 03:43 AM   #39
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Again, pay the bill for YOUR car repair with a credit card that has rental insurance coverage and file for the $500 from them as the "loaner" was a essentially a rental covered by the repair bill.

Not saying it will work 100% but it sure won't if you do not try.

I'd sure press hard for it.
Paying for the repairs, after the fact, with the card would not be considered, in their language as the cost of "rental." Hence, denial of the claim on that basis.

The issue with loaner cars is that in my years of getting them, the dealer never actually charged the card for any dollar amount. As a result, the "rental" coverage does not kick in.

I have the $25 Amex Premium Car Rental Protection and they confirmed that something, even a $1, needs to be charge to card for the insurance to be considered active, under the rental coverage.

So that's the little caveat that makes credit card coverage unless for loaner cars..

Works well and painless for rental car though.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #40
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Again, pay the bill for YOUR car repair with a credit card that has rental insurance coverage and file for the $500 from them as the "loaner" was a essentially a rental covered by the repair bill.

Not saying it will work 100% but it sure won't if you do not try.

I'd sure press hard for it.
Paying for the repairs, after the fact, with the card would not be considered, in their language as the cost of "rental." Hence, denial of the claim on that basis.

The issue with loaner cars is that in my years of getting them, the dealer never actually charged the card for any dollar amount. As a result, the "rental" coverage does not kick in.

I have the $25 Amex Premium Car Rental Protection and they confirmed that something, even a $1, needs to be charge to card for the insurance to be considered active, under the rental coverage.

So that's the little caveat that makes credit card coverage unless for loaner cars..

Works well and painless for rental car though.
I agree with everything you posted with one exception.

You left out an important part of what I stated....Paying for the Service Bill with a Credit Card that has Rental Insurance.

A car has always been listed on my printed bill. Usually the last item. It is considered part of the total bill for doing the repair there. So it is included in the total charge. If you had 100% warranty work, yes, you would be SOL in that case. Then again, if a chargeable item happened, perhaps something should be added before taking the car to make sure there is a small charge. Balance a tire, lol.

I believe a strong case could be made that this should be covered.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #41
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Agree with Poochie. Can't see how a $20 replace item like windshield wipes on an otherwise clean bill could be construed as payment for or toward a loaner car rental.

Trying to remember but outside of the pre-drive off damage walk around sheet don't remember signing any kind of rental contract. Not sure about the actual service agreement wording is regarding the loaner.

Be interest to see what would happen but BMWUSA has a building full of lawyers & since any number of loaners get wacked on any given day there must be case law already.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #42
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

have them get a quot on paintless dent repair. that price is bullshit.

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #43
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Agree with Poochie. Can't see how a $20 replace item like windshield wipes on an otherwise clean bill could be construed as payment for or toward a loaner car rental.

Trying to remember but outside of the pre-drive off damage walk around sheet don't remember signing any kind of rental contract. Not sure about the actual service agreement wording is regarding the loaner.

Be interest to see what would happen but BMWUSA has a building full of lawyers & since any number of loaners get wacked on any given day there must be case law already.
Because the loaner car is part of the service.

BMWNA is not involved with loaners.

Thats entirely on the local level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6 View Post
have them get a quot on paintless dent repair. that price is bullshit.
The paint is chipped.

You can always not take a loaner if you do not want to be responsible and do not agree to their terms.

If it was your car, bet you’d feel different.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #44
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e CB M Sport

Quote:
You experience is unique as almost all Dealers in Florida require you to present your current Insurance Card which they make a copy of and, in the agreement you sign, that your Insurance is the primary.

Well, that’s $250 a year HIGHER than $1000 Deductible in my case.

Considering I’d pay out of my pocket for anything under ~$2000 instead of filing a claim that would increase rates, seems like a waste to me.

Technically, using a credit card with Rental Auto Insurance that you charged the repair to, as the credit card coverage is for anything your Insurance DOES NOT COVER, they would cover the $1000 Deductible in my case.

Better check your receipt.

The part alone with no labor, prep, paint or anything else is $1,047.
Why would a comprehensive claim increase your premium?
Appreciate 0