F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 435i exhaust options?
GetBMWParts

09-25-2020, 02:55 AM   #1
conolulu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i

435i exhaust options?

Hi guys,

Just bought a 435i and the previous owner did a muffler delete. The car is too loud IMO and I want to make it pretty much like stock or maybe a bit louder than stock.

I have never done anything exhaust related to a car so I have no idea where to start. Would anyone be able to give me suggestions or point me in the right direction?

Ideally I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money.

Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 05:48 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by conolulu View Post
Hi guys,

Just bought a 435i and the previous owner did a muffler delete. The car is too loud IMO and I want to make it pretty much like stock or maybe a bit louder than stock.

I have never done anything exhaust related to a car so I have no idea where to start. Would anyone be able to give me suggestions or point me in the right direction?

Thank you so much!
First, you need an experienced assessment of what you have now on your exhaust system. The BimmerShops website will show you local independent BMW shops. Call around. Ask if they'll put it on a lift and tell you what you have on your exhaust and give you an estimate of putting it back to stock. Do not have them do it. You can save a lot of money by not doing that.

One you know the situation, you can take action.

A stock 435i exhaust system has three basic components, the downpipe that contains the catalytic converter, the stock midpipe and the axle-back exhaust.

Being in California hopefully they did not change out the downpipe with catalytic converters. There are tons of guys in your area who probably have changed out their stock midpipe and stock exhaust and have them just laying around. You can probably buy the used parts very inexpensively. Post on the local Bimmerpost forum and any local Facebook bmw pages that you are looking to buy the stock parts.

If you want a little better than stock then ask if anyone has a used M Performance Exhaust. It also came in what was called an MPPK package.

You can also call all of the BMW Indy shops and ask if they have any stock midpipes or exhausts.

Assuming that you find a stock midpipe which should be easy, there are other aftermarket axle back exhausts available as well. REMUS makes a nice sounding exhaust that's reasonably priced. The best sounding axle-back that I've heard is AWE. Extreme Powerhouse has both of those and other options.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2020, 05:58 AM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thank you so much!
Attached photos show diagrams from realoem website of the three 435i exhaust components. Put you VIN number in that website to search part diagrams and part numbers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 06:59 PM   #4
conolulu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
First, you need an experienced assessment of what you have now on your exhaust system. The BimmerShops website will show you local independent BMW shops. Call around. Ask if they'll put it on a lift and tell you what you have on your exhaust and give you an estimate of putting it back to stock. Do not have them do it. You can save a lot of money by not doing that.

One you know the situation, you can take action.

A stock 435i exhaust system has three basic components, the downpipe that contains the catalytic converter, the stock midpipe and the axle-back exhaust.

Being in California hopefully they did not change out the downpipe with catalytic converters. There are tons of guys in your area who probably have changed out their stock midpipe and stock exhaust and have them just laying around. You can probably buy the used parts very inexpensively. Post on the local Bimmerpost forum and any local Facebook bmw pages that you are looking to buy the stock parts.

If you want a little better than stock then ask if anyone has a used M Performance Exhaust. It also came in what was called an MPPK package.

You can also call all of the BMW Indy shops and ask if they have any stock midpipes or exhausts.

Assuming that you find a stock midpipe which should be easy, there are other aftermarket axle back exhausts available as well. REMUS makes a nice sounding exhaust that's reasonably priced. The best sounding axle-back that I've heard is AWE. Extreme Powerhouse has both of those and other options.

Hope this helps!
Dude this was literally so helpful, thank you so much! Hopefully I can get this fixed soon!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:00 PM   #5
conolulu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Attached photos show diagrams from realoem website of the three 435i exhaust components. Put you VIN number in that website to search part diagrams and part numbers
This is really helpful, thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

The stock exhaust is actually one long piece, mid-pipe to muffler is in one piece. M-performance exhaust (MPE) is muffler only and you have to cut your original exhaust as indicated in picture 2 and 3 above.

But as John mentioned, check if the downpipe is changed. If the only modification is muffler delete, you can replace it with the stock one or MPE. MPE is slightly deeper than stock and burble becomes more obvious, but still quieter than aftermarket ones.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #7
Torquey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i GT | 550i 6MT

If you can jack up the rear of the car and take a few pics of the 'muffler delete'... this forum can definitely help you with the info on what is needed. My personal recommendation would be a quality axleback system like AWE, Remus or BMW's own MPE. The N55 actually sounds pretty decent for a turbo engine when setup correctly.
Appreciate 2
johnung4528.00
      09-28-2020, 06:14 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

REMUS sounds the best in my opinion. It's perfectly balanced with no drone

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 03:30 AM   #9
conolulu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquey View Post
If you can jack up the rear of the car and take a few pics of the 'muffler delete'... this forum can definitely help you with the info on what is needed. My personal recommendation would be a quality axleback system like AWE, Remus or BMW's own MPE. The N55 actually sounds pretty decent for a turbo engine when setup correctly.
Thanks man, I finally was able to get pictures of underneath. Here is what I am working with.

Ironically, the more I drive the car, the more I like the sound of it. When I put the car in sport and rev the engine, I think I hear burbles and it's pretty cool. I've never had a car that could do that. The only problem is that the drone is a little much and even my girlfriend complains. Is there a way to keep the aggressive sound but eliminate drone?

johnung
AK415
Attached Images

Last edited by conolulu; 10-01-2020 at 03:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 03:32 AM   #10
conolulu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
REMUS sounds the best in my opinion. It's perfectly balanced with no drone
I definitely want something without drone. I'll look into REMUS 🤔
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 06:53 AM   #11
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
AWE. I have it on my 435i and love it.
      10-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #12
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man, I finally was able to get pictures of underneath. Here is what I am working with.

Ironically, the more I drive the car, the more I like the sound of it. When I put the car in sport and rev the engine, I think I hear burbles and it's pretty cool. I've never had a car that could do that. The only problem is that the drone is a little much and even my girlfriend complains. Is there a way to keep the aggressive sound but eliminate drone?

johnung
AK415
Looking at the picture, it doesn't only have muffler deleted, a resonator was also removed. If you take a look at John's post earlier, the midpipe has item #2, which is the resonator. Adding the resonator should eliminate the drone.

I also attached a picture I took when installing my exhaust, the muffler in the picture is Akrapovic

Edit: Looking at the 2nd and 3rd picture you uploaded again, part of the heat shield is significantly darker, seems like carbon deposit. You may also want to check for leaks in that area. Of course you can install a resonator at the same spot to kill two bird with one stone.
Attached Images

Last edited by AK415; 10-01-2020 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #13
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I have stock F30 335i - and ive been tempted to chop the muffler off however i've heard reports it will make the car slower if not remapped.

Can anyone confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
I have stock F30 335i - and ive been tempted to chop the muffler off however i've heard reports it will make the car slower if not remapped.

Can anyone confirm this?
Um, no. Zero effect on performance in either direction.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 10:10 AM   #15
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK415 View Post
Looking at the picture, it doesn't only have muffler deleted, a resonator was also removed. If you take a look at John's post earlier, the midpipe has item #2, which is the resonator. Adding the resonator should eliminate the drone.

I also attached a picture I took when installing my exhaust, the muffler in the picture is Akrapovic

Edit: Looking at the 2nd and 3rd picture you uploaded again, part of the heat shield is significantly darker, seems like carbon deposit. You may also want to check for leaks in that area. Of course you can install a resonator at the same spot to kill two bird with one stone.
+1 for adding resonator back in. I am not sure it will eliminate ALL your drone, but it should help significantly if you have OEM DP still. You can probably fine a OEM resonator for super cheap in the classifieds from everyone who has removed theirs, or just pick an aftermarket one of your liking. Resonator will also remove some rasp, but that's a bit muted by OEM DP already.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #16
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

+1 on reintroducing a resonator into the exhaust tract. It will definitely remove some of that drone as that is their only purpose. You can find an oem resonator or midpipe, or just get any old resonator installed at an exhaust shop. Maybe install something with the same dimensions ad the oe section, or go a bit bigger. The options are there.

Also +5 for the remus axleback. It sounds good with the stock downpipe.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I definitely want something without drone. I'll look into REMUS 🤔

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #18
conolulu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
+1 on reintroducing a resonator into the exhaust tract. It will definitely remove some of that drone as that is their only purpose. You can find an oem resonator or midpipe, or just get any old resonator installed at an exhaust shop. Maybe install something with the same dimensions ad the oe section, or go a bit bigger. The options are there.

Will any resonator similar to the oem one work? I found some amazon that were the same dimensions.

Also thank you so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 01:55 PM   #19
conolulu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK415 View Post
Quote:

johnung
AK415

Dude thank you so much for the help. This has helped me so much. Ok cool I'll make sure to tell them to put the resonator in where that carbon deposit is!

Also will any resonator work? Or does it have to be oem?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 01:55 PM   #20
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post

Will any resonator similar to the oem one work? I found some amazon that were the same dimensions.

Also thank you so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it!
Any resonator will attach. It's essentially just a straight through pipe most of the time. Once you get into chambering and sound deadening it's technically a muffler. Same dimensions and you are good to go.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 09:36 PM   #21
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dude thank you so much for the help. This has helped me so much. Ok cool I'll make sure to tell them to put the resonator in where that carbon deposit is!

Also will any resonator work? Or does it have to be oem?
Anytime man, that is what the community is for.

I don't have much experience on resonator, but like Logicoeur said, any would work. OEM gives you a starting point of what does it sound like out of the factory. I did read about Vibrant being a popular option for BMWs.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #22
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Resonator will get you to where I think you'll be happy
I like vibrant stuff
Used their resonator on my old e36 and it took the drone down massively, sounded really good honestly with it.
Appreciate 1