F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > XHP in too high of hear in Sport mode?
ARMA SPEED

04-09-2021, 06:05 PM   #1
bandook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

XHP in too high of hear in Sport mode?

Just installed XHP (8hp) and I'm a bit confused. Before when I was in Sport/+ it would stay around 2k rpm when cruising. Now it feels like it's in a gear or two too high. Of course it doesn't feel as punchy around town. Also shifts into 8th at like 50mph. I like everything else. Shifts fast and firm. I'm using latest version, map 3. Asking anyone who's played with it, is there a better map version or a setting? Just use stock shift points?

Last edited by bandook; 04-09-2021 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 07:03 PM   #2
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandook View Post
Just installed XHP (8hp) and I'm a bit confused. Before when I was in Sport/+ it would stay around 2k rpm when cruising. Now it feels like it's in a gear or two too high. Of course it doesn't feel as punchy around town. Also shifts into 8th at like 50mph. I like everything else. Shifts fast and firm. I'm using latest version, map 3. Asking anyone who's played with it, is there a better map version or a setting? Just use stock shift points?
I use the same map and when I'm in Sport or Sport+ I rarely get into 8th gear. Do you have the shifter over to the left when you're driving and in these modes?
      04-09-2021, 07:15 PM   #3
bandook
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
I use the same map and when I'm in Sport or Sport+ I rarely get into 8th gear. Do you have the shifter over to the left when you're driving and in these modes?
In drive. Isn't to the left only manual mode? Or is it changed in XHP? Does it stay in a lower gear for you and stay around 2k rpm when cruising?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In drive. Isn't to the left only manual mode? Or is it changed in XHP? Does it stay in a lower gear for you and stay around 2k rpm when cruising?
Moving the shifter over to the left puts the trans into Sport Auto mode. Manual mode is engaged when you move the shifter UP or DOWN while the shifter is in the left position or by using your paddles. This is probably why you're experiencing this behavior.
      04-09-2021, 08:11 PM   #5
bandook
Private
Rep

Quote:
Moving the shifter over to the left puts the trans into Sport Auto mode. Manual mode is engaged when you move the shifter UP or DOWN while the shifter is in the left position or by using your paddles. This is probably why you're experiencing this behavior.
Oh! Crap, that was it. Just tried it and it's awesome! I didn't plan on getting xhp quite yet so I hadn't read up on it enough. I just started tuning my PS2 install and my tuner said I needed xhp like now because I was hitting torque limits. So there is an extra mode now. Wow, cool. The Rev matching down shifts are sweet. Thanks man.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:13 PM   #6
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh! Crap, that was it. Just tried it and it's awesome! I didn't plan on getting xhp quite yet so I hadn't read up on it enough. I just started tuning my PS2 install and my tuner said I needed xhp like now because I was hitting torque limits. So there is an extra mode now. Wow, cool. The Rev matching upshifts are sweet. Thanks man.
Nice! Glad I could help.
      04-10-2021, 12:43 PM   #7
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Oh! Crap, that was it. Just tried it and it's awesome! I didn't plan on getting xhp quite yet so I hadn't read up on it enough. I just started tuning my PS2 install and my tuner said I needed xhp like now because I was hitting torque limits. So there is an extra mode now. Wow, cool. The Rev matching down shifts are sweet. Thanks man.
XHP doesn't create an extra mode, that mode always exists so long as you have the sport transmission option on your car. I don't think XHP can even add that mode if you don't already have it. But the behavior of that mode is more pronounced with XHP vs. shifter to the right.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 07:55 PM   #8
bandook
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
XHP doesn't create an extra mode, that mode always exists so long as you have the sport transmission option on your car. I don't think XHP can even add that mode if you don't already have it. But the behavior of that mode is more pronounced with XHP vs. shifter to the right.
Well crap, I've been driving wrong the whole time lol. I've had the car for about 7 months but only driven it 1000 miles, if that. I thought shifter to left was paddle mode and would always use the paddles in that mode. So if you don't touch the paddles it will up/downshift by itself stock? I feel kinda dumb. But that's just another day for me ...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 08:08 PM   #9
bandook
Private
Rep

Still not sure that it's normal. Before when I was in drive, sport mode on, it would stay in a lower gear and never go below 2k rpm, so the throttle was always responsive. Now with xhp in same mode it drives like it's not in sport. I'm just gonna have to feel it out more. I've only driven it like 20 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 08:18 PM   #10
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well crap, I've been driving wrong the whole time lol. I've had the car for about 7 months but only driven it 1000 miles, if that. I thought shifter to left was paddle mode and would always use the paddles in that mode. So if you don't touch the paddles it will up/downshift by itself stock? I feel kinda dumb. But that's just another day for me ...
Shifter to the left changes transmission programming irrespective of drive mode (eco/comf/S/S+), and can be toggeled independently of drive mode.

Moving the shifter to the left increases shift speed and holds gears longer, downshifts earlier, etc. If you dont engage manual mode by moving +/- or pulling a paddle then yes, it continues to be an automatic - S and gear $ is displayed. If you engage manual its M# and the car will NOT shift on its own and you will hit rev limiter. Shifter to the left usually also prevents 8th gear all together unless you change that setting.

Once you flash XHP, in order to get maximum shift speed and instant paddle response, you need shifter to the left and sport + mode. You might notice a delay in paddle response if the shifter is to the right, regardless of drive mode.

There's a table that demonstrates all this but i cant find it right now.

Quote:
Still not sure that it's normal. Before when I was in drive, sport mode on, it would stay in a lower gear and never go below 2k rpm, so the throttle was always responsive. Now with xhp in same mode it drives like it's not in sport. I'm just gonna have to feel it out more. I've only driven it like 20 minutes.
Youre supposed to drive ~50 miles after flashing XHP for it to adapt fully. 10-20 miles highway in eco pro (for coasting and neutral shifts), 10-20 miles in comfort mode, all shifter to the right, then 10 miles in sport/shifter to the left before going all out in sport+ shifter to the left.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 09:09 PM   #11
bandook
Private
Rep

Quote:

Youre supposed to drive ~50 miles after flashing XHP for it to adapt fully. 10-20 miles highway in eco pro (for coasting and neutral shifts), 10-20 miles in comfort mode, all shifter to the right, then 10 miles in sport/shifter to the left before going all out in sport+ shifter to the left.
I did read a bit about letting it adapt. But two things left me confused I guess. 1. I didn't see it directly stated from xhp. Not on the purchase page not in the tutorial on the app. Maybe I missed it? 2. I read that xhp definitely does not reset transmission adaptations. So I assumed that any adapting it does is minimal.

Would it be wise to reflash it and drive cycle like you stated? It definitely lugs a lot more in drive/sport mode. And I really have to get in the throttle for it to downshift. I'll upload a screenshot of my adaptations. They look fine for 94k I believe. Not a big deal because now I can just put it to the left for the feeling I'm looking for. Also, I was thinking about trying linear throttle in MHD. Does it mesh we'll with XHP?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 12:19 AM   #12
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I did read a bit about letting it adapt. But two things left me confused I guess. 1. I didn't see it directly stated from xhp. Not on the purchase page not in the tutorial on the app. Maybe I missed it? 2. I read that xhp definitely does not reset transmission adaptations. So I assumed that any adapting it does is minimal.

Would it be wise to reflash it and drive cycle like you stated? It definitely lugs a lot more in drive/sport mode. And I really have to get in the throttle for it to downshift. I'll upload a screenshot of my adaptations. They look fine for 94k I believe. Not a big deal because now I can just put it to the left for the feeling I'm looking for. Also, I was thinking about trying linear throttle in MHD. Does it mesh we'll with XHP?
Correct that you do not want to reset transmission adaptations, and XHP does not with a flash either. XHP used to have the popup about doing the initial drive miles, but it has since disppeared. It did give me the message the first time i flashed, but that was more than a year ago. Not sure if it is still stated elsewhere like in the manual. It may just change the "normal" adaptations based on increased line pressure and other changes the tune makes.

Naw, you don't need to reflash and do the drive cycle. It's strange you are getting the bogging you describe. From what i read you do not want to do linear throttle and XHP as they are not really compatible. So i wouldn't do that.

If you really wanted to you could go into custom settings and change your shiftpoints so that you dont upshift as early (and downshift sooner), but it really shouldnt be necessary. I have been running XHP stage 3 and MHD stage 2+ E20 for well over a year with no complaints and no type of bogging.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 04:24 AM   #13
regomellor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640 xi GC

Same here. I have mhd stage 1 without linear throttle option and xhp stage 3 and I'm experiencing the same low revs and lag in throttle response in D sport mode. Very disappointed
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 04:47 AM   #14
regomellor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640 xi GC

Quote:
Could you fix this "lack" of sport mode?.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #15
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by regomellor View Post
Same here. I have mhd stage 1 without linear throttle option and xhp stage 3 and I'm experiencing the same low revs and lag in throttle response in D sport mode. Very disappointed
You mean shifter in D but car in sport mode?

XHP should not lower your shift points as compared to OEM trans tune so you might have something else going on.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 11:15 AM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
You mean shifter in D but car in sport mode?

XHP should not lower your shift points as compared to OEM trans tune so you might have something else going on.
I'm wondering if the 'Drivetrain' is still checked, for Sport mode. Many of our models of the period have the Sport mode option of Chassis or Drivetrain, or both.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 11:50 AM   #17
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm wondering if the 'Drivetrain' is still checked, for Sport mode. Many of our models of the period have the Sport mode option of Chassis or Drivetrain, or both.
Also a possibility. All i know is that XHP should not cause what he has described with default settings on stage 3.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #18
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

I just installed xhp today, the newest version for my trans, I believe 3.5. it has the same function. Stock the car would never go into 7 or 8th gear unless I was at least doing a hundo. Now it goes down to 8th as soon as I stop accelerating, and won't kick back down unless I romp on it hard. It is very unsporty in sport mode. With the shifter to the left, it will keep it in a lower gear. But with the trans in normal mode, drive mode selected as sport, it just goes down to 8th gear like OP states. This does not seem right
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #19
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
I just installed xhp today, the newest version for my trans, I believe 3.5. it has the same function. Stock the car would never go into 7 or 8th gear unless I was at least doing a hundo. Now it goes down to 8th as soon as I stop accelerating, and won't kick back down unless I romp on it hard. It is very unsporty in sport mode. With the shifter to the left, it will keep it in a lower gear. But with the trans in normal mode, drive mode selected as sport, it just goes down to 8th gear like OP states. This does not seem right
there is a setting for that.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 05:55 PM   #20
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
Care to elaborate instead of that super vague response?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:04 AM   #21
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
Care to elaborate instead of that super vague response?
I mean, if you go into the settings there is a ton of stuff you can change. that's one of them. I'm not sure how much less vague that is.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:47 PM   #22
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The car definitely goes into 7th and 8th earlier than 100mph with gentle acceleration on stock trans tune. Probably around 45 or 50 mph into 8th. 100 mph is excessively high and if that were true you would not be in 8th gear when driving on the freeway, which is definitely not right.

Which stage did you flash and did you check any of the other options? There are options that could cause exactly what you are describing that are designed more for fuel economy.

I run stage 3 with everything default except max RPM (which does not affect how early it shifts) and i have zero issues with how soon/low rpm the upshifts are in normal driving... It does shift relatively early because that's the ideal way to accelerate under low throttle inputs in D/comfort.
Appreciate 0