F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > One year with my F30 330i
Studio RSR

11-25-2021, 12:44 AM   #1
schnellwagen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i SULEV

One year with my F30 330i

Last year, I bought my 2017 F30 330i BSM with sport, driver assistance, and premium packages certified pre owned with 20,000 miles on it.
Fast forward to today, and I've put 11,500 miles on it, driven it from my home in the Bay Area all the way to Vancouver BC and back, and taken it on a bunch of backroads. Every situation this car has been so far it has performed very well, and I can't believe owning a low option 4 cylinder BMW could be so fun.

Overall, I would have to say my favorite aspects of this car would have to be:
1. The looks. It's subtle enough that I don't draw too much attention to myself (especially in the Bay Area where cars 3-4 times the value of mine are common), but it's elegant, sleek, and attractive. The interior is clean, streamlined, and basic but tasteful. It's not cluttered, the lines flow well, and everything is purposive.

2. The performance. It's not a M car. It's not a B58 or N54/55 powered beast. It has a turbo 4 cylinder, albeit a very good turbo 4 cylinder that accelerates quickly, responds to my inputs without much delay, and has an aggressive but unintrusive exhaust note in sport mode.
The ZF 8 speed sport steptronic transmission is the best transmission available for a mass market car, the steering is well weighted in sport and communicative in all driving modes. Compared to the B8 Audi A5 which I drove in October 2020, the steering on this car feels a lot more natural and connected.
I can take my car around corners with confidence. I can cruise at high speeds on the highway feeling firmly planted on the road. Driving this car is a pleasure, not a chore.

3. The comfort. My first experience with BMWs was in my sophomore year of high school, when my friend's dad picked us up in his 128i coupé. It didn't have sport package, and the seats were horribly uncomfortable. I thought I was compromising on seats with this car until I sat in the sport seats. The sport seats are very comfortable, accommodating, and adjustable for whatever type of driving I'm doing. The thigh extender is a nice addition.
The car was very comfortable on my road trip this summer, and I arrived in Vancouver without a backache.

4. The social component. Owning a BMW opens the door to meeting other BMW owners who share the same passion for cars. It helps start conversations with other enthusiasts and brings my friends and I together for media projects like the rolling shots we did with my car.

I know that to many of you it may seem odd that I love my 330i so much, especially for those of you with more powerful and/or more luxurious F30s. However, this car is very special to me because I'm a young driver who worked hard to save for the downpayment and works to pay for the financing in addition to being a student. From an Iranian perspective (I'm Iranian-American), 255 horsepower is a lot, and owning a car like mine is a massive sign of privilege in a country where the typical car is a Saipa Pride (I dare you to look it up) and the driving situation is so chaotic that even the few relatives of mine who could conjure up 100,000 dollars for a BMW decide to stick to more modest vehicles. Therefore, I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to own this amazing piece of driving fun.
Attached Images

Appreciate 11
HarryTee214.00
F30lolz6798.50
adhrp1266.00
j2dad5389372.00
sspade2464.50
JR16641146.50
sygazelle11329.50
      11-25-2021, 01:19 PM   #2
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Great review! Here's to many more smiles per gallon
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      11-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #3
2017F30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330iX AT

Enjoyed your post @schnellwagen - we’re basically on the same page. Purchased a 2017 330i xD in January 2021 with 18,250ish miles and currently at 26,875 miles approaching the one year anniversary. I located the vehicle on a Thursday thanks to a tip and purchased it on Saturday from a BMW store. After an I-Level update and a transmission reset I’m absolutely satisfied with the daily drive and couldn’t be more pleased with my purchase. Looking forward to plenty of snow this winter season!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 04:37 PM   #4
schnellwagen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i SULEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017F30 View Post
Enjoyed your post @schnellwagen - we’re basically on the same page. Purchased a 2017 330i xD in January 2021 with 18,250ish miles and currently at 26,875 miles approaching the one year anniversary. I located the vehicle on a Thursday thanks to a tip and purchased it on Saturday from a BMW store. After an I-Level update and a transmission reset I’m absolutely satisfied with the daily drive and couldn’t be more pleased with my purchase. Looking forward to plenty of snow this winter season!
Glad you've been enjoying your car. Enjoy the snow! Won't be getting any of that down here in California
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 07:37 AM   #5
Walker_CW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellwagen View Post
Last year, I bought my 2017 F30 330i BSM with sport, driver assistance, and premium packages certified pre owned with 20,000 miles on it.
Fast forward to today, and I've put 11,500 miles on it, driven it from my home in the Bay Area all the way to Vancouver BC and back, and taken it on a bunch of backroads. Every situation this car has been so far it has performed very well, and I can't believe owning a low option 4 cylinder BMW could be so fun.

Overall, I would have to say my favorite aspects of this car would have to be:
1. The looks. It's subtle enough that I don't draw too much attention to myself (especially in the Bay Area where cars 3-4 times the value of mine are common), but it's elegant, sleek, and attractive. The interior is clean, streamlined, and basic but tasteful. It's not cluttered, the lines flow well, and everything is purposive.

2. The performance. It's not a M car. It's not a B58 or N54/55 powered beast. It has a turbo 4 cylinder, albeit a very good turbo 4 cylinder that accelerates quickly, responds to my inputs without much delay, and has an aggressive but unintrusive exhaust note in sport mode.
The ZF 8 speed sport steptronic transmission is the best transmission available for a mass market car, the steering is well weighted in sport and communicative in all driving modes. Compared to the B8 Audi A5 which I drove in October 2020, the steering on this car feels a lot more natural and connected.
I can take my car around corners with confidence. I can cruise at high speeds on the highway feeling firmly planted on the road. Driving this car is a pleasure, not a chore.

3. The comfort. My first experience with BMWs was in my sophomore year of high school, when my friend's dad picked us up in his 128i coupé. It didn't have sport package, and the seats were horribly uncomfortable. I thought I was compromising on seats with this car until I sat in the sport seats. The sport seats are very comfortable, accommodating, and adjustable for whatever type of driving I'm doing. The thigh extender is a nice addition.
The car was very comfortable on my road trip this summer, and I arrived in Vancouver without a backache.

4. The social component. Owning a BMW opens the door to meeting other BMW owners who share the same passion for cars. It helps start conversations with other enthusiasts and brings my friends and I together for media projects like the rolling shots we did with my car.

I know that to many of you it may seem odd that I love my 330i so much, especially for those of you with more powerful and/or more luxurious F30s. However, this car is very special to me because I'm a young driver who worked hard to save for the downpayment and works to pay for the financing in addition to being a student. From an Iranian perspective (I'm Iranian-American), 255 horsepower is a lot, and owning a car like mine is a massive sign of privilege in a country where the typical car is a Saipa Pride (I dare you to look it up) and the driving situation is so chaotic that even the few relatives of mine who could conjure up 100,000 dollars for a BMW decide to stick to more modest vehicles. Therefore, I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to own this amazing piece of driving fun.
Sums up nicely why I absolutely love my 2018 330xi.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 01:19 PM   #6
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Congratulations and welcome to the club.

I, too, opted for the F30 4 cylinder instead of the more powerful inline 6 option. My previous car was a BMW 540. I was worried that going from 8 cylinders to 4 might be a mistake, but after I test drove the 328i I was hooked. I've had it 8 years now and still smile every time I get in it. No regrets opting for the smaller engine at all.

All the best to you. Enjoy your ride.
Appreciate 0