F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > F32 Xdrive Questions
ARMA SPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-23-2021, 09:27 AM   #1
black'n'redE92
Private
black'n'redE92's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The SF Bay

iTrader: (3)

Hello All,

I took a step into the Xdrive world not really know what I got myself into search for new wheels. I've been reading post after post, and see feedback all over the place. I'm looking for the aggressive look without destroying the AWD or wanting any rubbing.

Obviously a square setup is the safest, but that just not me, unless it's last resort. I will be commuting, so would like to stick with 19's. I'll be using the stock tires as they are new 225/40/19 255/35/19. Not sure of the stock wheel offsets, as the cars in transport to me currently.

According to calculators the tire height won't change going from a 19x8.5 to a 19x9.5 does this sound correct?

What would be the most aggressive, but safe offset I could go with on each, and what is my best option of the sizes listed below?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!



2015 435i Xdrive Coupe
M-Sport
M-Sport Break Package

I'm looking to go:

19x8.5 et35 225/40/19
19x9.5 et40 255/35/19

Or option B taking suggestions for the front/rear offsets.

19x8.5 225/40/19 255/35/19
__________________

'08 E92~ Black Saphire Metalic~Coral Red Interior~Brushed Aluminum Trim~ Black Kidney Grilles~ JB4 G5 Board~Powder Coated Black 189's~Blacked Out Roundels~ 20% Tint All The Way Around~BMS DCI~8K Angel Eyes~M Tech Side Skirts~Smoked Side Markers~15MM/12MM BMS Wheel Spacers
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 12:51 PM   #2
johnung
Colonel
United_States
1948
Rep
2,643
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by black'n'redE92 View Post
Hello All,

I took a step into the Xdrive world not really know what I got myself into search for new wheels. I've been reading post after post, and see feedback all over the place. I'm looking for the aggressive look without destroying the AWD or wanting any rubbing.

Obviously a square setup is the safest, but that just not me, unless it's last resort. I will be commuting, so would like to stick with 19's. I'll be using the stock tires as they are new 225/40/19 255/35/19. Not sure of the stock wheel offsets, as the cars in transport to me currently.

According to calculators the tire height won't change going from a 19x8.5 to a 19x9.5 does this sound correct?

What would be the most aggressive, but safe offset I could go with on each, and what is my best option of the sizes listed below?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!



2015 435i Xdrive Coupe
M-Sport
M-Sport Break Package

I'm looking to go:

19x8.5 et35 225/40/19
19x9.5 et40 255/35/19

Or if square:

19x8.5 225/40/19 255/35/19
"Square" refers to all four tires being the same irregardless of the wheel widths. So by keeping the current tires, you have already committed to running a staggered setup.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
black'n'redE92
Private
black'n'redE92's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The SF Bay

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by black'n'redE92 View Post
Hello All,

I took a step into the Xdrive world not really know what I got myself into search for new wheels. I've been reading post after post, and see feedback all over the place. I'm looking for the aggressive look without destroying the AWD or wanting any rubbing.

Obviously a square setup is the safest, but that just not me, unless it's last resort. I will be commuting, so would like to stick with 19's. I'll be using the stock tires as they are new 225/40/19 255/35/19. Not sure of the stock wheel offsets, as the cars in transport to me currently.

According to calculators the tire height won't change going from a 19x8.5 to a 19x9.5 does this sound correct?

What would be the most aggressive, but safe offset I could go with on each, and what is my best option of the sizes listed below?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!



2015 435i Xdrive Coupe
M-Sport
M-Sport Break Package

I'm looking to go:

19x8.5 et35 225/40/19
19x9.5 et40 255/35/19

Or if square:

19x8.5 225/40/19 255/35/19
"Square" refers to all four tires being the same irregardless of the wheel widths. So by keeping the current tires, you have already committed to running a staggered setup.
Got it.. Thanks... I've never ran square, so guess I need to learn what the actual definition is first.
__________________

'08 E92~ Black Saphire Metalic~Coral Red Interior~Brushed Aluminum Trim~ Black Kidney Grilles~ JB4 G5 Board~Powder Coated Black 189's~Blacked Out Roundels~ 20% Tint All The Way Around~BMS DCI~8K Angel Eyes~M Tech Side Skirts~Smoked Side Markers~15MM/12MM BMS Wheel Spacers
Appreciate 1
johnung1948.00

      02-26-2021, 08:18 AM   #4
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
294
Rep
646
Posts

Drives: BMW 435i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Swansea, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Here is an example of square vs. staggered.

My winter set up is square. All four tires are 225/45/18's

My summer set up is OEM staggered. The front tires are 225/40/19 and the rears are 255/35/19.

The sizes you are talking about appear to be OEM staggered for a RWD car like mine, though I don't recall the exact factory offsets and you don't mention your wheel size.

I think the tolerances are known for how much difference the AWD system can handle for tire circumference. You'll need to put the sizes into a tire size calculator to make sure what you want to do fits within those specs.
__________________
Stop by and check out my blog: The Car Geek
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b2948.00

      02-27-2021, 09:45 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Major General
United_States
2948
Rep
6,775
Posts

Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Here is an example of square vs. staggered.

My winter set up is square. All four tires are 225/45/18's

My summer set up is OEM staggered. The front tires are 225/40/19 and the rears are 255/35/19.

The sizes you are talking about appear to be OEM staggered for a RWD car like mine, though I don't recall the exact factory offsets and you don't mention your wheel size.

I think the tolerances are known for how much difference the AWD system can handle for tire circumference. You'll need to put the sizes into a tire size calculator to make sure what you want to do fits within those specs.
The zero risk approach is to select OEM 19" staggered wheels. I had identical wheels for both summer and winter driving wheels sets. Never a problem.
Appreciate 1
johnung1948.00

      02-27-2021, 11:27 PM   #6
black'n'redE92
Private
black'n'redE92's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The SF Bay

iTrader: (3)

Ok chose my setup. Had them installed Friday. I put about 100 miles on it doesn't feel like there's any issues. Need to close the wheel gap now.
Attached Images
     
__________________

'08 E92~ Black Saphire Metalic~Coral Red Interior~Brushed Aluminum Trim~ Black Kidney Grilles~ JB4 G5 Board~Powder Coated Black 189's~Blacked Out Roundels~ 20% Tint All The Way Around~BMS DCI~8K Angel Eyes~M Tech Side Skirts~Smoked Side Markers~15MM/12MM BMS Wheel Spacers
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #7
rgolding
Private
29
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: 2015 AW 428i xDrive
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Clemson, SC

iTrader: (0)

I have an F32 XDrive and I ran 19x8.5 front 225/40/19 19x9x5 255/35/19. Depending on what tire you run (i run Michelin) id go with 235/265. I stepped my rear up to a 265 and I have a set of 235's going on the fronts at the end of the month. the 225/255 is a little stretched. My transfer case didn't mind the 225/255 but since I've been running the 225/265 I've noticed my transfer case is ever so slightly clunky in low gears in traffic, other than that no problems at all. Lowered on H&R sport springs but BC Coilovers going on end of month as well. Pics on insta @alpinef32 .
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #8
black'n'redE92
Private
black'n'redE92's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The SF Bay

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
I have an F32 XDrive and I ran 19x8.5 front 225/40/19 19x9x5 255/35/19. Depending on what tire you run (i run Michelin) id go with 235/265. I stepped my rear up to a 265 and I have a set of 235's going on the fronts at the end of the month. the 225/255 is a little stretched. My transfer case didn't mind the 225/255 but since I've been running the 225/265 I've noticed my transfer case is ever so slightly clunky in low gears in traffic, other than that no problems at all. Lowered on H&R sport springs but BC Coilovers going on end of month as well. Pics on insta @alpinef32 .
Checked out your insta. That sits pretty. Are you running ET 35/40? Did the ride change much with the HR's? Any rubbing issues? Don't want to mess up the ride, but definitely need to close my fender gap.
__________________

'08 E92~ Black Saphire Metalic~Coral Red Interior~Brushed Aluminum Trim~ Black Kidney Grilles~ JB4 G5 Board~Powder Coated Black 189's~Blacked Out Roundels~ 20% Tint All The Way Around~BMS DCI~8K Angel Eyes~M Tech Side Skirts~Smoked Side Markers~15MM/12MM BMS Wheel Spacers
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST