F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F series adaptive - Bilstein damptronic PnP dampers
GetBMWParts

04-06-2021, 08:31 AM   #419
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc View Post
Those that installed the b4s, did you notice the vehicles's ride height change at all?

Ride higher?
Ride lower?
Exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #420
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewricha View Post
Come across a "new" set of Adaptive Damper from Bilstein, but appear to be for the Gxx cars (I know this thread is for Fxx, but useful info)

BILSTEIN EVO SE coilover kit (DAMPTRONIC)

https://www.bilstein.com/int/en/blog...e-driving-fun/

Looks cool in metallic grey coating with better anticorrosion apparently. Would be Interesting to understand if they differ from the 49-255935 Fxx B16 kit.

49-303391:
https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-g...duct=49-303391
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bilstein/15483621
https://shop.bilstein.com/de/evo-se/...nic-_49-303391
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-640612-evo-se/

Also passive version (S and R) (47-300118):
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/bilstei...-bls47-300118/

I've bought some Eibach Pro springs for my car, so will see how they work with the B4 DT's over the MP Springs, when I get a chance to fit them.
It looks to me like Bilstein is just rebranding their previous lines. B14 > EVO S, B16 damptronic > Evo SE, Clubsport > Evo R.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 02:05 PM   #421
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
It looks to me like Bilstein is just rebranding their previous lines. B14 > EVO S, B16 damptronic > Evo SE, Clubsport > Evo R.
I was thinking the same, but they are labelled as being not used on Fxx cars so wonder if the development/calibration is different for Gxx classis'?

Quote:
Those that installed the b4s, did you notice the vehicles's ride height change at all?

Ride higher?
Ride lower?
Yes, definitely front and possibly rear slightly higher, perhaps 5 mm maybe more. Pretty much negated my very moderate MP Springs drop.

Here is a comparison, slightly different angles, the same springs:

Last edited by Matthewricha; 04-08-2021 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 08:58 PM   #422
cleaver
Private
Rep
Drives: white F31 328xi

I've been following this thread closely. I had Bilstein B6 Damptronics installed in my 2014 M-adaptive F31 about 3 weeks ago. I now have almost 500 miles on them so I assume they're broken in.
I chose the B6s as I wanted it a bit stiffer, although the factory Sport setting was actually pretty good. (I tried Dinan Shockware several years ago but didn't like it so had it removed). I know some have said the B6s were too stiff, but since I probably have the heaviest variant I thought they'd be OK.
In Comfort it's a bit firmer than what Sport used to be, and in Sport it's firmer still. Not harsh, but perhaps more than what most would want. (Note: I believe Sport+ is the same setting, but with stability control dialed back.) Moral: be careful what you wish for. I don't regret it, as it's really confidence inspiring when I'm hotrodding it.
Yes, the ride height did increase - perhaps a 1/2" in back and maybe a bit more in front. I did not measure before or after and I'm on stock springs (xDrives supposedly ride 1/2" higher anyway).
Overall, I'm satisfied, but thought I'd share my experience.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00
      04-12-2021, 08:00 PM   #423
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

cleaver, thanks for sharing.

"In Comfort it's a bit firmer than what Sport used to be, and in Sport it's firmer still."

What's your impression of B6 DT compression and rebound cycle? More responsive than OEM? The compression and rebound cycle of stock M Adaptive shocks can be best described as "lazy and delated", especially in Sport mode: the shock does not have a chance to compress as quickly as desired, the vehicle bounces up, and the pattern repeats.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #424
cleaver
Private
Rep
Drives: white F31 328xi

cfm56d7b, I'm hardly an expert, and have to assume any changes are due to Bilstein's valving, as the M Adaptive programming has not changed (no Shockware). That said, the compression seems more responsive, but that's probably due to the increased firmness. The rebound is probably better as well, as it's well-snubbed after a bump, especially in Sport and Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #425
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Keep in mind I also have H&R springs, but the B6 adaptive struts fixed most of my gripes with my suspension.

I've had them for over a year and put lots of highway miles on them, and I'm super pleased.

The other mods that made the largest difference were upgraded tension arms, the front strut brace, and solid rear subframe bushings.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #426
Acuavit
Registered
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Thought I would follow up with my experience with now over 1000 miles and my summer wheels on.

Setup:
2018 340ix m/t
Track package includes adaptive suspension
19"wheels and goodyear exhilarate non-runflats (big improvement)

At 40k the stock suspension was not confidence inspiring (it was good at 14k when I bought the car).. sport+ really floated and bounced in corners when pushed. Made me want to sell tha car.

I installed the Bilstein B6 damptronics and Eibach pro-kit springs (thank you all for you wisdom)

Car height is similar to stock after settling so I am pleased (need snow clearance).

Ride:

Comfort: firmed up nicely and still compliant. Really great ride all around on highway and backroads. Not really for pushing but lives between stock comfort and sport. Great for zoning out when I start out of the garage.

Sport: Although the suspension gets quite aggressive and can be pushed I find the vertical jarring to be a bit annoying on rough B roads. It's good for smooth roads and speedy highway cruise control but when it gets bumpy it just jars you up and down too much.

Sport+: My new favorite mode. I find the ride firms up a touch more than sport and also becomes more compliant. You can really thrash it on any road and it does not send you vertically as much as sport. It actually smooths out rough roads. I don't know what wizardry Bilstein has created but I did notice this to a lesser extent with stock dampers.

The confidence this setup inspires is leading to me driving and cornering much faster. The car is glued to the road and the chassis translates it nearly perfectly. It's great.

Steering: I am sorry to say that although the steering feels a little tighter and seems to be an improvement, the road feel is still very faint and this is my main gripe.

Overall my 340 has a whole new attitude... really really great upgrade, worth the $2500 all in. I even look back at it now when I walk away and think how much better it looks (and now drives) than the G series. (got the right light sorted as well... simple pulled fuse).

BTW I had a M440ix loaner and the steering feel was the same... I could tell no difference... and that car is waaaay too stiff, was actually making my back sore on bumps.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00
      04-23-2021, 01:42 PM   #427
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Acuavit, very informative review especially notes about Sport+ mode.

I am considering B6 Damptronic shocks and debating whether to replace OEM springs at the same time or install Eibach Pro springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 11:11 PM   #428
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I hate to break it to you guys, but I'm pretty sure sport+ is identical to sport beyond enabling dynamic traction mode. Non-M cars only got a soft and firm setting on the shocks.

However, I don't know if the adaptive suspension ECU changes how it reacts to bumps.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 08:35 AM   #429
Acuavit
Registered
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
I hate to break it to you guys, but I'm pretty sure sport+ is identical to sport beyond enabling dynamic traction mode. Non-M cars only got a soft and firm setting on the shocks.

However, I don't know if the adaptive suspension ECU changes how it reacts to bumps.
If that is true I am totally good with it since the Sport+ ride is more compliant with my setup. I switch modes regularly the difference is very clear to me.

Maybe Bilstein has an answer, maybe turning off the nannies relaxes the dampers somehow... don't know. Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has a similar experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 12:40 PM   #430
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Quote:
Come across a "new" set of Adaptive Damper from Bilstein, but appear to be for the Gxx cars (I know this thread is for Fxx, but useful info)

BILSTEIN EVO SE coilover kit (DAMPTRONIC)

https://www.bilstein.com/int/en/blog...e-driving-fun/

Looks cool in metallic grey coating with better anticorrosion apparently. Would be Interesting to understand if they differ from the 49-255935 Fxx B16 kit.

49-303391:
https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-g...duct=49-303391
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bilstein/15483621
https://shop.bilstein.com/de/evo-se/...nic-_49-303391
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-640612-evo-se/

Also passive version (S and R) (47-300118):
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/bilstei...-bls47-300118/

I've bought some Eibach Pro springs for my car, so will see how they work with the B4 DT's over the MP Springs, when I get a chance to fit them.
You get the eibachs with the b4 damptronic installed?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 03:07 PM   #431
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You get the eibachs with the b4 damptronic installed?
Hi! Unfortunately not, they are in their box waiting to be fitted. Rubbish weather here in the UK and busy life at the moment.. might pay for a garage to fit just the rears and see what their like and then decide on the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 03:17 PM   #432
Shorepower
Rep
Drives: 435d xDrive. Ex. m140i

Quote:
Hi! Unfortunately not, they are in their box waiting to be fitted. Rubbish weather here in the UK and busy life at the moment.. might pay for a garage to fit just the rears and see what their like and then decide on the fronts.
Did you eventually install them? How was that combo?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 02:05 PM   #433
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorepower View Post
Did you eventually install them? How was that combo?
Been running B4's for about 3 years, although only 15k miles. I replaced the rear M Performance (red) springs with Eibach and it definately softened up the rear, but can tell the shocks are still a little harsh on abrupt changes in road surface. I do have low profile tyres though .. 255 30 R19's
The Front B4's still have the M Performance springs.. As the adaptive suspension on the F22 only has motion sensors on the front axle I do wonder if the spring rate and therefore movement of the fronts affects how the rear shocks behave. I have been procrastinating as to what to move to. Fit Eibachs front, or move back to stock, or move to MP Springs all round with OE Shocks.

The B4's definately improve handling, you can really chuck the car about and around corners with comfidence in sport mode. How do you find your B4's just on the front of your car?

P.S. I've replied to you on the other thread on availability of rears B4's
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 12:47 PM   #434
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Does anyone recall if bilstein provided a washer to place between the strut mount and the strut nut?

I am having noise issues with my millway camber plates, and noticed there is a washer between the camber plate bushing and the strut nut. Trying to figure out if this is something that came with the B6 damptronic struts and the shop just transferred them from the old strut mount.

Edit: I found a TUV document for the B14s and the answer is yes, a washer was included and goes between the strut nut and the mount.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327

Last edited by Eschmacher; 06-26-2023 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0