F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Tracking with a Stage 2+ B58 - should I be worried?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-16-2024, 03:04 AM   #1
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I know many of you do occasional race tracks - I am considering finally getting into that as there is a convenient track not too far away. Should I be worried though about doing it with a Stage 2+ and xHP Stage 3 ...? Anything in jeopardy (incl driveshafts, etc.)?

I will make sure to look into the various cooling enhancement options in MHD...
      02-16-2024, 05:23 AM   #2
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 440i Odin Tuned DAW turbo

My experience with stage 2+ and xhp stage 3 in Florida has been road based. Temperature management has been my biggest concern because it's anywhere between 70 and 105 Fahrenheit here. I think you live in Northern Europe so that would be of lesser concern. I have experienced some light wheeping of my diff from launching but aside that it's been fine for 20k miles or more.

I know you're a smart guy so as long as your car is maintained well and you drive with a degree of mechanical sympathy... don't bang it into 2nd at 130mph etc, then you'll be fine.

I'd set your mhd up to read oil temp and pressure, fuel pressure, fuel trims maybe transmission temp too and keep a casual eye on the important stuff

Note, I never use LC or make full bore launches and my diff wheeps..take from that what you will
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1889.50
      02-16-2024, 12:33 PM   #3
DieselDuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWB58

Your ZF8 will get whiny (but technically no problem at all), but especially in North EU temps I wouldn't be too concerned in terms of IAT's and oil temps.

Make sure you are on proper tyres, proper tyre pressure, good brakepads and brake fluid (stock brakepads and brakefluid are NOT up to the task of tracking), maybe get an alignment done, etc, those things are probably more important as long as your engine is always properly serviced on (before) time.

I'm not sure what fuel you have to your disposal but as 20-50hp probably won't make much difference on most tracks, you could flash the "lowest" octane map i.e. Stage 2+ 93oct/98ron and fill it up with 95oct/102ron or 93oct/98ron with a bit of E85 to guaruantee your engine is really happy.

Personally when I've really sent the car in the past I had zero issues, temps stayed fine too. Not sure if this MHD sport cooling option that I use contributes to it but I think it might. I noticed the harder I push the car, that sometimes, the oil temps seems to go even lower than when I'm driving normal.

It also doesn't harm that after a few laps, you do a cooldown lap and then let the car cool down for a bit in between stints.

Next month I'll be tracking again also, let's have fun and keep it safe
M140i - MHD Stage 2+ E40 - XHP Stage 3 - Catless DP - TU HPFP - MP LSD - MP Exhaust - Endless ME20 brakepads w/ Castrol SRF fluid - Bilstein B12 - Millway solid rear subframe bushings - Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1889.50
      02-16-2024, 01:08 PM   #4
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Well… I am clearly not intending to upgrade brakes and tires solely for a few hours of tracking, at least initially… I will hope the stock M Sport brakes are M Sport for a reason

Good to know about the gearbox…. Whine considered normal then and disappears on its own? (Remember reading a thread where someone complained about a whine during/after sporty driving).

I typically drive Stage 2+ RON 98 with a tad of E for minimum corrections. Clearly I can increase the E content for the sake of tracking.
      02-16-2024, 01:20 PM   #5
DieselDuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWB58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Well… I am clearly not intending to upgrade brakes and tires solely for a few hours of tracking, at least initially… I will hope the stock M Sport brakes are M Sport for a reason

Good to know about the gearbox…. Whine considered normal then and disappears on its own? (Remember reading a thread where someone complained about a whine during/after sporty driving).

I typically drive Stage 2+ RON 98 with a tad of E for minimum corrections. Clearly I can increase the E content for the sake of tracking.
I see. I would strongly discourage you going on track with stock brake pads and fluid. Yes the stock M Sport calipers and discs are sufficient, but the stock pads and brake fluid are definitely not. I talk out of experience, they will fade 100% on track, it just isn't safe. I'm not the only person who experienced this in my circle with the m sport brakes so it's not a me problem. Even on really fast road driving (obviously on remote area's) I would get fading (especialy when running more power). Proper pads and fluid fixes the problem pretty much completely.

Yep the ZF8 gearbox whine is normal, you're good. It comes and goes when pushing the car, had it with multiple cars I driven sporty with ZF8 box and never had any issues or failing gearbox.
M140i - MHD Stage 2+ E40 - XHP Stage 3 - Catless DP - TU HPFP - MP LSD - MP Exhaust - Endless ME20 brakepads w/ Castrol SRF fluid - Bilstein B12 - Millway solid rear subframe bushings - Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1889.50
      02-17-2024, 01:05 PM   #6
J3Vr6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (RWD)

I agree with DieselDuck . I've done the short track at Homestead Miami Speedway, and I can absolutely confirm that you need to upgrade your brake pads with track-grade pads and go to a track brake fluid. Regardless of having the M Sport discs and calipers, you'll be doing some pretty intense and hard braking at speeds well above normal road use. Your brake fluid will cook and your pads will severely start to fade... FAST. You will first notice that your car shudders at hard braking when they begin to fade. You do NOT want to lose braking at the track.

As inconvenient you think replacing your pads and brake fluid, it's much more inconvenient to meet at wall at 130+ mph.
Appreciate 3
      02-17-2024, 04:50 PM   #7
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

My only concern for you would be timing corrections once you start to heat soak. Stage 2+ can be pretty aggressive timing wise. Can you splash in some e85 or does the track have higher octane non leaded gas available?
      02-18-2024, 02:33 AM   #8
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

No e85 in the country, but I do usually add a splash of race fuel (100% E + lubricant additives) to my RON 98 to address corrections. And I certainly will conservatively add more of it before going on the track.

It will get quite hot I anticipate, despite subjectively low ambient temp, as the track is relatively small (2,3 km) with plenty of turns and slopes.
Attached Images

02-18-2024, 05:30 PM   #9
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Not to pile on, but unless you're really babying it, that short, tight, multi-elevation track will smoke street tires and stock brakes very quickly. I understand you don't want to spend the extra $ but assuming your track days are the somewhat standard ~4 15-20 minute sessions per day, for 2 back-to-back days) the street tires you showed up with will be toast by end of the weekend and you're going to need new tires anyway. The same will likely be true with your pads unless you cook the fluid first and have to stop early. All of that will be made worse with the car running at 2.5. An already big, heavy having to stop from an even higher speed won't do your street equipment any favors. Just don't want to see you waste a weekend, travel time, hotel bills, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 02:32 AM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Given that approx 70% of the braking is delivered from the front, would it be sufficient to upgrade just the front pads for the occasional tracking? (M Sport brakes)

Again I am not intending to turn this into a track-racing vehicle - just enjoy an occasional set of laps. I find it a bit hard to believe I need to take into account new tires, pads and fluid after every track day.
I have never looked into it, but I am happy to look into higher grade brake fluid for the next change, which is anyway due in September.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 02-19-2024 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 07:17 AM   #11
J3Vr6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (RWD)

Quote:
Given that approx 70% of the braking is delivered from the front, would it be sufficient to upgrade just the front pads for the occasional tracking? (M Sport brakes)
First question: No. front and rear brakes work as a system, especially at the track. You might as well swap out for track pads on both front and rear.

Quote:
Again I am not intending to turn this into a track-racing vehicle - just enjoy an occasional set of laps. I find it a bit hard to believe I need to take into account new tires, pads and fluid after every track day.
I have never looked into it, but I am happy to look into higher grade brake fluid for the next change, which is anyway due in September.

First off, replacing pads and brake fluid every event isn't the end of the world and should be your first thought when considering tracking this car. I want to be clear: You don't need to THROW AWAY your pads when you take them out to replace with track pads. I know people who will put them back in after a track event. Secondly, when you're looking at brake fluid, bear in mind that track brake fluid is not meant for street use. It's too thick and will sludge. It's only meant for the track where the high heat keeps it fluid.

As for tires... Yes, you may get away with keeping your tires after an event, but if you do this semi occasionally, you should look into a dedicated set of wheels with 200 tread wear extreme summer tires that you put on for track days.

Again, swapping pads and replacing the brake fluid isn't the end of the world.
Appreciate 0