F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Runflat tyre recommendations ?
GetBMWParts

07-21-2023, 03:43 PM   #1
Jimmy12
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Runflat tyre recommendations ?

Hi,
I need to replace all 4 tyres shortly and want to keep with runflats

Any recommendations? and prefered sites to look on?

Sizes
Front: 225/45R18 Y 91
Rear: 225/45R18 Y 95

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 03:47 PM   #2
Jimmy12
Rep

£883.96 on BlackCircles
For Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Zero Pressure including fitting + wheel alignment
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 05:33 PM   #3
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

I've just done about 1500 miles on a pair of Pirelli PZ4* RFT in the 225/40/19 and 255/35/19 which replaced a set of PS4S non-RFT. Without running the Michelin version back to back this is subjective, but I'm unimpressed and would suggest that you go for the Michelin option you note, especially as the price seems pretty reasonable for RFT. While I accept there's a performance trade-off between RFT and non-RFT, my experience of these PZ4's is that they remind me of every other single Pirelli I've ever used on damp, wet or greasy roads by being glidey and generally not confidence inspiring (albeit better in Traction DSC mode as it allows more slip before shitting itself). I've been meaning to write up a bit of a review and this reminds me I still need to do that.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 07:43 PM   #4
Jimmy12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
I've just done about 1500 miles on a pair of Pirelli PZ4* RFT in the 225/40/19 and 255/35/19 which replaced a set of PS4S non-RFT. Without running the Michelin version back to back this is subjective, but I'm unimpressed and would suggest that you go for the Michelin option you note, especially as the price seems pretty reasonable for RFT. While I accept there's a performance trade-off between RFT and non-RFT, my experience of these PZ4's is that they remind me of every other single Pirelli I've ever used on damp, wet or greasy roads by being glidey and generally not confidence inspiring (albeit better in Traction DSC mode as it allows more slip before shitting itself). I've been meaning to write up a bit of a review and this reminds me I still need to do that.
Thanks for the info
I was considering either the PS4s or the Goodyear F1s but the prices are similar anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 01:47 AM   #5
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Go to Tyrereviews for Jons videos etc

But you'll not go wrong with either the Goodyears or Michelins etc

I'm running non RFT Goodyear Assym 6s on my F31 and so far they've been superb tyres
      07-22-2023, 05:37 AM   #6
sl13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive Msport

I've had the eagle F1 gen 2 if I remember correctly, they were plenty grippy enough and not badly priced. The key for us though was the side wall damage over potholes. We had several that developed hernias, some were virtually new. In total I think we replaced four or six over a couple of years because it kept happening. I've ditch rfts never to go back..
Appreciate 1
danb19791891.00
      07-22-2023, 06:14 AM   #7
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

I had a new 3 series with Bridgestone Potenza S001 run flats and I found them very noisy.
Changed the car for a new 4 series that came with Goodyear Eagle F1 run flats and they are much better. When they need replacing I will get the same again.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 03:34 AM   #8
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
I had a new 3 series with Bridgestone Potenza S001 run flats and I found them very noisy.
Changed the car for a new 4 series that came with Goodyear Eagle F1 run flats and they are much better. When they need replacing I will get the same again.
Snap my F31 came with S001 which I hated but was a massive improvement over the RE050 from the E91. I switched out the S001 for Conti SportContact 5 and found them to a lot quieter and less trashy. The current car came with Goodyear F1 Asymmetic 3 which I really do like even quieter than the Conti.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 07:55 AM   #9
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Snap my F31 came with S001 which I hated but was a massive improvement over the RE050 from the E91. I switched out the S001 for Conti SportContact 5 and found them to a lot quieter and less trashy. The current car came with Goodyear F1 Asymmetic 3 which I really do like even quieter than the Conti.
I remember that the RE050 won the Evo tyre test a few times, and when I tried them I thought they were utter garbage. Then I realised that the winning tyres were the RE050 'Pole Position', and I got a chance to try them too. And they were still underwhelming. Personally I think it's more down to manufacturers philosophies and their testing facilities/priorities that lead to whether a tyre works or not. It's not necessarily down to whether they're good or crap necessarily but whether they work well in cold/warm/damp/greasy given different countries have different prevailing conditions. The same goes with tarmac and how sun baked it is, or whether it's the crap low noise/rolling resistance that has bugger all grip and increases surface water and spray, or if it's chippings which bikers complain about voraciously but is actually grippy and in wet areas allows water to run off effectively while reducing spray.

For all Jonathan at Tyre Reviews does for reviewing tyres, I don't think that circuits are really representative of tyre use in the real world given the tyre temperatures and how good quality the tarmac usually is. The same for snow; cold, dry arctic snow is not the same as the damp snow or slush we predominantly get in this country. Obviously the tests can give a bit of a barometer, and a tyre that has no grip on a track isn't going to have any grip on roads, but discussing the subtleties seems needless. How a tyre deals with broken tarmac, mid corner surface changes, dropping and regaining grip etc are much more important on a road. Similarly, the Bridgestone Potenza Sport got some rave reviews but it needed temperature. That's not much use in the UK for a daily, IMO.

My personal experience (being broad) is that the Japanese tyres like Yokohama, Bridgestone and Toyo struggle in the cold and generally wear worse than the average for its comparable peers. Pirelli have always struggled for both wear and performance on greasy roads. Continental are reasonable but wear quickly. Michelin, for me, whether as a performance tyre or an eco tyre, seem to work best in the UK. They wear well, they perform well and they have a broad spectrum of performance too which is important. Good Year are up there too as number two, but tend to wear faster than the Michelin and perhaps have marginally less feel. For all the talk of the new Conti Sport Contact being way better than the PS4S I think it would have to really go some to be as comfortable, as precise, as long lasting and as good an all rounder on roads in the UK across the full spread of weathers we get. The ability to ride smoothly on rough roads and yet still be precise in the corners is something not many tyres manage to balance that effectively.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 08:13 AM   #10
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

My pal's F31 320D is running Uniroyal RS3 RFTs:

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s477..._Noise%3A_72dB

The car came with Pirelli RFTs which he said were absolutely horrible; only 6months old but said they felt really unsure underfoot and had to change them

It was the Uniroyals or top price Michelin RFTs he was offered in Germany; he went for the Uniroyals as we've both ran them and the RS5s non RFTs and they've been superb tyres and well suited to the UK roads and climate

So far he's really impressed with them; said they take the rough UK roads perfectly; grip superbly and do well on the autobahns at speed in any weather.

The only niggle he feels is their sidewall is a bit soft; but then that's how they cope well with the UK roads...

He's got PS4s on his E91 320D (dead currently at 217k miles); but once that's back up and running; he'll be using that again for his commutes and will be putting Uniroyal RS5 non RFTs on the alloys as he runs that with a spare 18x8 wheel in the boot, just in case.

Michelins & Goodyears are always going to be up there; but there are some good alternatives out there too...

Shame Vredestein don't do RFTs; always been a fan of their Ultrac Vorti's non RFTs
      07-23-2023, 02:54 PM   #11
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

I have Good Year F1 Assym 2 all round, need to replace the two fronts soon. Assym 3s are cheaper at £198 from Halford that's for 225/40/19s, so I'll get them.
They are supposed to be quieter as well.
      07-23-2023, 04:51 PM   #12
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybunny View Post
I have Good Year F1 Assym 2 all round, need to replace the two fronts soon. Assym 3s are cheaper at £198 from Halford that's for 225/40/19s, so I'll get them.
They are supposed to be quieter as well.
If your a Costco member or know someone who is you can a pair of Asymmetric 2 RFT (225/40/19) for £312
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 03:12 AM   #13
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
If your a Costco member or know someone who is you can a pair of Asymmetric 2 RFT (225/40/19) for £312
Thanks for that, I'm not a member but just had a look on Costco, and they are £181 each with an amazing £50 off for two. They are rated at 89Y whereas mine are 93Y presume that not a big issue. I think it's an extra £9 per tyre fitting. Costco is over an hour away in Bristol, so will have a think about membership. Thanks for the tip.