F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 broken camshaft / vanos control valve help needed!
ARMA SPEED

01-05-2024, 12:43 PM   #1
AlpineVt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340 X drive,

B58 broken camshaft / vanos control valve help needed!

We have a 2017 BMW 340x drive. The car started running very rough and threw a CEL. We towed it to a BMW shop in NH, where they diagnosed it as a bad cam sensor. The car ran the same after installation, and after the car sitting in the shop for a few months, we towed it home and found a broken exhaust camshaft. The cam journal was damaged, so we obtained a used head on ebay and installed it, but we cannot find the correct Vanos control valves. The ID for the vanos valve bore in the cams on the replacement head are 19.6mm, the OD of the vanos control valves which were in the original cams is 22.07mm. We have spoken with our local BMW dealer, and they cant figure out which valves we need, or if the head will in fact work on this motor. The heads look the same. Does anyone have any input which may help us here?
I have part numbers form the old head, new / used head, camshafts from both heads, the vin from our car, etc. if that will help.
Thanks.
Appreciate 1
isenc2146.50
      01-06-2024, 12:22 AM   #2
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I found this out the hard way as well and posted about it a few days ago. It was in the kelford cams thread and the b58 versions thread just down below a bit. I did get the puma PDFs that tis talks about for this in the cylinder head replacement procedure. They didn't really say much, just update the car software with ISTA+ and proceed accordingly. If you want send me a PM I can email you these files.

In August 2017 they changed the cams, gears, and vanos central valves. As well as the oil pressure sensor, and the software to control everything.

The original version, the cam gears are a 22mm hex head. (Actually maybe it was 24 I forget). The newer version it's a 16-point spline special socket. You can't mix and match the gears valves and cams old and new, you have to run the whole set from the new or old version. The head is otherwise the same you can put the old or new set of cam components in an old or new head and it should be fine. As long as you have the software right. You couldn't buy the newer cam and put your old gear and valve in it for instance.

If your DME is old and came with the 22 mm version you should to run those cams gears and valves. Or you can run the newer stuff but you have to update the dme to a version after August '17, as far as I know. I still don't know if it actually writes anything to the VO. I'm actually working on that a little bit trying to figure that out still. You guys won't reply to my update without DME locking thread in the coding section though.

Original version, part 6, hex head https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_6408

Updated version, part 16, https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_6408

You can see the valve and gear part differences there. And if you go up a level and look at the cams pages you can see it there as well.

Last edited by B58 parts; 01-06-2024 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
isenc2146.50
      01-07-2024, 02:16 PM   #3
AlpineVt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340 X drive,

B58 parts

Thank you for responding, this has been very confusing!
I will PM you for the files, thanks once again for your help!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 12:35 PM   #4
Pepsipz9
Registered
Rep
Drives: 340iX

I have exactly problem, anything new?

Hi! I've changed the engine head and I've installed new engine head with their camshafts and vanos, but when I turn on the engine, it's working very rough just only the first 30 second and after this everything's fine. Every start, first 30 seconds are bad and after this everything's ok. The fault code is camshaft position
Appreciate 0