F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Weird noise after pte 6466 install
proTUNING Freaks

02-01-2024, 11:47 AM   #1
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Need some help since I’m stumped, I just installed a full doc race kit with a pte 6466, hearing this noise not consistently but happens while cruising in comfort. Usually happens when I’m in high gears and low rpm’s while building boost to about 3 psi. I don’t know if it’s the waste gates or downpipe rubbing trans, any help or insight is good. Wasn’t hearing this before I put the new downpipe and turbo on with waste gate dumps. Attached a drop box link to hear the noise, happens right at the end of the video on max volume, sounds almost like grinding of some sort, maybe it’s the flap inside the turbo since I’m just on a base mapping?

Weird noise
      02-01-2024, 04:50 PM   #2
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update: after building boost and coming to a stop then rolling off I see a little puff of white smoke coming out the exhaust in comfort mode. Are my turbo seals already bad? I’m still on the base map my tuner sent me and just running gate pressure of 20lbs. So now I am real concerned since smoke is never a good thing. I replaced my injectors about 5k miles ago, any help is appreciated
      02-01-2024, 05:54 PM   #3
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Post a picture of how your oil drain line is installed and oriented. Did you ever end up using that T fitting that’s supplied with the kit?
      02-01-2024, 06:10 PM   #4
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
Post a picture of how your oil drain line is installed and oriented. Did you ever end up using that T fitting that’s supplied with the kit?
I ended up contacting doc race, they said it should be fine since the hose that’s included is for stock cars that don’t already have a vent to atmosphere, I attached a image of the oil drain line
Attached Images

02-01-2024, 06:50 PM   #5
B58
Major
Rep

How does the line look connecting to the block? Is it straight as possible? Also post up your oil feed line.
      02-01-2024, 07:01 PM   #6
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How does the line look connecting to the block? Is it straight as possible? Also post up your oil feed line.
You think it be because I’m running a base map tune rn and need to have the fueling and all adjusted in correspondence to the big turbo? I’m on gate pressure of 20 lbs rn and dropping down to 17 tomorrow
Attached Images

02-01-2024, 08:18 PM   #7
B58
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxrger View Post
You think it be because I’m running a base map tune rn and need to have the fueling and all adjusted in correspondence to the big turbo? I’m on gate pressure of 20 lbs rn and dropping down to 17 tomorrow
It’s possible, but my main concern is the line circled in red. That line connects to the block and it appears to have some sort of a check valve in it. I purchased the doc race oil catch can and returned it back because it caused my car to smoke a lot as soon as installed it. It required me to remove that line and install their own fitting so the oil would drain back into the block. I’m not exactly sure what that line is for, but I’m hoping someone can verify it. I ended up just using the stock pcv diaphragm and the silver T fitting supplied by Doc and connected the valve cover hose and all those smal lines to the T fitting and everything went back to normal.
Attached Images

02-05-2024, 02:02 PM   #8
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It’s possible, but my main concern is the line circled in red. That line connects to the block and it appears to have some sort of a check valve in it. I purchased the doc race oil catch can and returned it back because it caused my car to smoke a lot as soon as installed it. It required me to remove that line and install their own fitting so the oil would drain back into the block. I’m not exactly sure what that line is for, but I’m hoping someone can verify it. I ended up just using the stock pcv diaphragm and the silver T fitting supplied by Doc and connected the valve cover hose and all those smal lines to the T fitting and everything went back to normal.
I put the doc house one on, does my oil drain line look correct? That’s about as straight as I could get it but it seems to be wedged against the frame
Attached Images

02-05-2024, 02:28 PM   #9
B58
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxrger View Post
I put the doc house one on, does my oil drain line look correct? That’s about as straight as I could get it but it seems to be wedged against the frame

Yeah the drain looks fine. Mine is basically the same. It’s pretty straight at the bottom also?