F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Chirp sound before operating temp
proTUNING Freaks

02-12-2024, 09:36 PM   #1
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Chirp sound before operating temp

I have a 2017 340i m sport, dorch stage 2, catless, mhd e40 tune and car runs amazing, BUT… first few minutes of driving I hear a squeeking or chirp sound between gear shifts, could it possibly be the DV? It’s only the first few minutes of driving if I go a little heavy on throttle (not WOT, I won’t do that until it’s warm), regular driving is normal and no problems impacting performance, more annoying than anything, and if my DV is on it’s way out I’d rather replace it. Car has appx 69k miles and will be installing a Vargas GC soon.
      02-13-2024, 02:26 AM   #2
alyabiev
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
I have a 2017 340i m sport, dorch stage 2, catless, mhd e40 tune and car runs amazing, BUT… first few minutes of driving I hear a squeeking or chirp sound between gear shifts, could it possibly be the DV? It’s only the first few minutes of driving if I go a little heavy on throttle (not WOT, I won’t do that until it’s warm), regular driving is normal and no problems impacting performance, more annoying than anything, and if my DV is on it’s way out I’d rather replace it. Car has appx 69k miles and will be installing a Vargas GC soon.
First I’d inspect the serpentine belt for wear and if it’s looking ok check the exhaust flap for that squeaky sound next.
      02-13-2024, 02:54 AM   #3
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyabiev View Post
First I’d inspect the serpentine belt for wear and if it’s looking ok check the exhaust flap for that squeaky sound next.
I’ll take a look, the only thing that made me think DV is it happens for that split second between gear shift and only under higher load. But still worth looking into, thanks 👍
      02-13-2024, 03:18 AM   #4
alyabiev
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
I’ll take a look, the only thing that made me think DV is it happens for that split second between gear shift and only under higher load. But still worth looking into, thanks 👍
There is no diverter valve for the B58 engine - excess air is vented through the cylinders with a help of cams moving to min lobe separation angle.