F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Custom tune response time. What is and is not acceptable
proTUNING Freaks

02-16-2024, 03:39 AM   #1
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 440i Odin Tuned DAW turbo

Custom tune response time. What is and is not acceptable

Installed the turbo and ds25 in December of 2023 and began the tuning process immediately. Bimmerinvasion is tomorrow and im driving there, carefully, on an unfinished tune. 7 weeks and counting.

Revisions and responses have been super slow and almost every time they come with an excuse/ apology as to why its taken so long. Average 1 per week. There have been issues of course one of which was an installation issue, which is why we rely on professionals and expect a dialogue along the way in resolving them. I've not heard from this guy since Monday when he answered his phone and promised this would be looked at in good time for the event.

I've tried sending multiple logs and I've tried going quiet and being patient. Not once have i been demanding or rude.

I'm now reflashing old revisions and using the limited knowledge I have to make sure the car is driven in the safest condition possible. I should not be making these calls.

We have hotels and reservations and missing the event would be a huge loss.

I'm not a difficult person or an asshole but I'm starting to get very frustrated by this whole process. I get people are busy but surely this individual should be taking care of customers and not overwhelming themselves to such a degree that people are without fully functional cars for so long?

Had I known I'd be without a fully drivable car for this length of time I'd have gone elsewhere or left the stock turbo on the car.

When I've dyno tuned in the past its been a day max but here we are 7 weeks in and 7 revisions in and not even.a guarantee that the tune is safe to drive on for any distance. This event has already been tarnished.because of this.

Are my expectations too high or is is this an unacceptable timeline for a relatively common tune?

I'm really close to getting shitty and asking for a refund. This guy came highly recommended and it seems they are being overwhelmed by their demand. A victim of their own success.

I'm not out here to hurt reputations so I will NOT name names. I fully expect people to defend the tuner which is why im.asking for feedback.

Last edited by B58 _gran_coupe_; 02-16-2024 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 04:00 AM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I haven't gone that route yet, but I have heard many similar stories. Given that - it is like with everything else - you have options:

1. Go to someone reputable and accept his conditions. A reputable doctor or engineer will not see you next day either
2. Go to a less known and reputable tuner and "be the boss" in terms of demands. I am sure you will get served faster... potentially at the cost of quality
3. Try your luck with negotiating with a reputable one in advance of engaging, trying to get him to commit about sensible time-lines

I understand your frustration, but it is quite a common issue in many fields. People do what they do because the can.... So if you want to change the system (at a cost) - don't feed them.

(Side story: I have a friend who ordered an expensive, custom kitchen. The contract stated he needed to pay 100% up-front, because you know - that's their "standard contract" and business as usual. Most people would accept that when they hear "business as usual" and "standard contract"... If it is good for everyone else, then it must be fine... My friend however put his fist down and said "No", as this was just wrong in principle. He negotiated 70% up-front, 30% upon successful completion. The kitchen got delayed and the quality was not as expected. The supplier however was motivated to make improvements, as they had money to collect. Long story short - at the end he got a 98% kitchen for 85% of the price, the rest he never paid due to deficiencies. Not ideal, but everyone else would have received a 90% kitchen for 100% price, with a longer delay. And this is how you change a system in your favour. Think and act before you sign.)

Last edited by Skyhigh; 02-16-2024 at 04:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2024, 04:32 AM   #3
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

In my field of construction management payments are always staged in order to protect both parties. I think it's a great way to do business as both ends keep a degree of leverage should they need it and it keeps both ends honest.

With this thing, the project cost was relatively low, I mean well under $1000 so how much leverage are you gonna have with a couple of hundred dollars realistically.

My biggest mistake was not discussing timeline from the start. This individual actually called me up and we discussed my requirements. Many of the other tuners did not even respond so it was a very easy decision to award them my business.

I guess my expectations were wrong but let's hope I can limp through this weekend which will be a 6 hour round trip and get a great tune as and when they finish it.

I just want to open her up with confidence finally

Thank God this isn't my daily driver.

Last edited by B58 _gran_coupe_; 02-16-2024 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 04:44 AM   #4
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

I was offered the opportunity to "be done in a day" I have reached out several times with the offer to take an annual leave day off to get it done but the tuner never responded to my proposals. I guess the offer to block time for intensive tuning was horseshit.. I feel strung along a bit by this.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 12:04 PM   #5
Fast_Rabbi
Private
Rep
Drives: M140ix

I bet his name start by Mar and end by in.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 02:40 PM   #6
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

If it’s once a week I’m probably assuming it’s Chris from Motiv. I was getting a new revision every morning when tuning with Fabian from Pure Boost and I’ve tuned with him twice. Once a week is overboard especially when you’re on a revision that runs like ass.
n55david1295.50
      02-16-2024, 08:26 PM   #7
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Are you using MHD or BM3? If you’re worried about driveability or reliability can’t you run the OTS tune with the fuel pump option enabled? I know it won’t be at it’s full potential but from what I’ve seen/read the aftermarket turbo doesn’t require a custom tune, but recommended. Also, take a log and see how the current revision is holding up? It might be fine if not for a few things theyre still dialing in, but may not be anything bad. How does the car drive?
      02-16-2024, 08:48 PM   #8
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update here. I was stressed out and anxious this morning. I am going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I know many ressons why people may be off their game. It's not for anyone to be the judge and jury. Life is too complex and definitely too short for that. I know this guy has a fantastic reputation and that is hard earned. He will forever remain nameless and I hope things calm down and get back on track. Having spoken to the guy below he explained that the tuning community is a family, a collective of ideas and research and they all pull together to help each other, despite offering similar services and being in competition, somewhat.

Anyway, having posted this, I set to work detailing the car. Tune not ready and no idea if it's safe or not but the car had to look good. Right? Quick snowfoam and wash and dry and I saw a private message on my phone from someone offering to help to get me a safe tune/ basemap that I can rev out and won't cause me issues.

Within 30 minutes I had sent my stock backup, a recent log and my Vin and had a basemap flashed to my dme..

The following 3 hours were spent messaging logging tweaking and logging again.. the pulls got more and more crazy and soon we were at revision 5 which was a final polished tune. He got me safe then kept goin lol. Running on close to e50 the power delivery is buttery smooth, boost to around 30lb and all the parameters happy.

My tune is done and it making a very safe 625 hp ish and around 600ftlb. Fueling is happy and little to no corrections. Still power on the table but at that power I wanted to stop ha.

I'm still shocked that a stranger from the other side of the world would help another stranger get to a car event with a few hours to spare.

I'm still in disbelief that after all this time 3 hours of intensive work the car is ready and feeling so dialed in.

The man that read this post and worked into the night to help me?

That man was Odin Tuned.

Sir, it's an honor and a blessing to have crossed paths with you and I will forever be in your debt. I'm so happy the car is finally done and making such nice power and I cannot begin to thank you enough. What a legend!

Last edited by B58 _gran_coupe_; 02-16-2024 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 5
Skyhigh1889.50
n55david1295.50
      02-18-2024, 05:32 AM   #9
Fast_Rabbi
Private
Rep
Drives: M140ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
If it’s once a week I’m probably assuming it’s Chris from Motiv. I was getting a new revision every morning when tuning with Fabian from Pure Boost and I’ve tuned with him twice. Once a week is overboard especially when you’re on a revision that runs like ass.
Chris send 1 maybe 2 files a week but he's a goat.
Fabian answer fast but his tune isn't really as good as others well knowed tuners...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 12:40 PM   #10
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Rabbi View Post
Chris send 1 maybe 2 files a week but he's a goat.
Fabian answer fast but his tune isn't really as good as others well knowed tuners...
You’d be surprised how well Fabian’s tune is if I post up a couple of logs, but my logs are private for a reason.
      02-19-2024, 05:15 AM   #11
alyabiev
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 _gran_coupe_ View Post
Quick update here. I was stressed out and anxious this morning. I am going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I know many ressons why people may be off their game. It's not for anyone to be the judge and jury. Life is too complex and definitely too short for that. I know this guy has a fantastic reputation and that is hard earned. He will forever remain nameless and I hope things calm down and get back on track. Having spoken to the guy below he explained that the tuning community is a family, a collective of ideas and research and they all pull together to help each other, despite offering similar services and being in competition, somewhat.

Anyway, having posted this, I set to work detailing the car. Tune not ready and no idea if it's safe or not but the car had to look good. Right? Quick snowfoam and wash and dry and I saw a private message on my phone from someone offering to help to get me a safe tune/ basemap that I can rev out and won't cause me issues.

Within 30 minutes I had sent my stock backup, a recent log and my Vin and had a basemap flashed to my dme..

The following 3 hours were spent messaging logging tweaking and logging again.. the pulls got more and more crazy and soon we were at revision 5 which was a final polished tune. He got me safe then kept goin lol. Running on close to e50 the power delivery is buttery smooth, boost to around 30lb and all the parameters happy.

My tune is done and it making a very safe 625 hp ish and around 600ftlb. Fueling is happy and little to no corrections. Still power on the table but at that power I wanted [...]
Thanks for the kind words! Special thanks for the fast logging and quality data obtained on every run - this was definitely a positive factor to get the car running properly in that short period of time.

The car was dialed in for E50-ish blend as the tank was already having E in it. There is still more work left as I’m looking forward to finish up lowest E (already pre-set as a very conservative temporary map) and highest E content range to wrap it all up in a complete FlexFuel setup😌
      02-20-2024, 09:52 PM   #12
e30 4 life!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyabiev View Post
Thanks for the kind words! Special thanks for the fast logging and quality data obtained on every run - this was definitely a positive factor to get the car running properly in that short period of time.

The car was dialed in for E50-ish blend as the tank was already having E in it. There is still more work left as I’m looking forward to finish up lowest E (already pre-set as a very conservative temporary map) and highest E content range to wrap it all up in a complete FlexFuel setup😌
This guy is the GOAT. We spent a lot of time tuning my X3m. I was about to recommend him and then was not shocked to see he was the one who helped. A true asset to the community
Appreciate 2