F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW F30 318d n47t Engine noise check
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #1
Jaypit
New Member
United Kingdom
5
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 318d Luxury
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

BMW F30 318d n47t Engine noise check

Hi All

Just wanted to get your opinions on the sound of my n47t motor. Does it sound healthy or like it has a wearing timing chain system? it was a cold start and i was holding down the air filter housing for the first half of the video.

https://youtu.be/pBvaxjm6L1M

Apologies for the stretched video.

Last edited by Jaypit; 01-13-2021 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:15 PM   #2
eugene89us
Second Lieutenant
United_States
156
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 328d
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: MS

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypit View Post
Hi All

Just wanted to get your opinions on the sound of my n47t motor. Does it sound healthy or like it has a wearing timing chain system? it was a cold start and i was holding down the air filter housing for the first half of the video.



Apologies for the stretched video.
The actual diesel rumble sounds nice. What I do not like is that chirping sound. Mine does not chirp like that. Wonder if anyone else can chime in.

Edit: Here is mine from a few months ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 03:52 AM   #3
Jaypit
New Member
United Kingdom
5
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 318d Luxury
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
The actual diesel rumble sounds nice. What I do not like is that chirping sound. Mine does not chirp like that. Wonder if anyone else can chime in.

Edit: Here is mine from a few months ago.
Sounds nice! was that on a cold start? or did you get a recent oil change because your motor sounds much more subtle than mine. Wondering if mine is a healthy sound (minus the chirp, i think thats beacause there was some water left in the engine bay which got to the pulleys)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
eugene89us
Second Lieutenant
United_States
156
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 328d
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: MS

iTrader: (0)

I think mine was warmed up at that time, but it sounds basically the same cold or hot. It was between 40K-50K miles at a time, the engine is about 3 years old. With the only exception if it is really cold (close to or below freezing), the engine idles about 100rpm higher for the first few minutes, which is also a normal occurrence. I don't hear any unusual sounds from yours, to be honest. Sounds like a diesel. LOL. The chirp certainly sounds like it may be coming from a pulley, would be worth fixing for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #5
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
15
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: X3d
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Southern WI

iTrader: (0)

Both sound normal to me, and healthy. The chirping on the first one is very slight, and if the engine wasn't warmed up first, it could be anything from moisture on the belt to a cold, slightly underlubed pulley. I would check it again when it's fully up to temp, even have someone gently rev it up and see if the chirp increases in frequency.

You could try using one of those magnetic wands that's used to grab fallen bolts and touch each individual pulley (including the alternator) to see if the chirping can be isolated.

Bottom line though is that, to me, it doesn't sound serious in any way.
__________________
X3 x28d // 66xxx miles // 35 MPG // Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5w30
GLK250 // 123xxx miles // 33 MPG // M1 ESP 5w30
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 04:24 PM   #6
Jaypit
New Member
United Kingdom
5
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 318d Luxury
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
I think mine was warmed up at that time, but it sounds basically the same cold or hot. It was between 40K-50K miles at a time, the engine is about 3 years old. With the only exception if it is really cold (close to or below freezing), the engine idles about 100rpm higher for the first few minutes, which is also a normal occurrence. I don't hear any unusual sounds from yours, to be honest. Sounds like a diesel. LOL. The chirp certainly sounds like it may be coming from a pulley, would be worth fixing for sure.
Ah ok sounds pretty sweet for a diesel! But then again itís done 35k miles less than my motor. Thanks for the opinion definitely helps me get a little more peace of mind and yes I will definitely have a look at then pulleys when engine is at temp.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 04:26 PM   #7
Jaypit
New Member
United Kingdom
5
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 318d Luxury
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreigbs View Post
Both sound normal to me, and healthy. The chirping on the first one is very slight, and if the engine wasn't warmed up first, it could be anything from moisture on the belt to a cold, slightly underlubed pulley. I would check it again when it's fully up to temp, even have someone gently rev it up and see if the chirp increases in frequency.

You could try using one of those magnetic wands that's used to grab fallen bolts and touch each individual pulley (including the alternator) to see if the chirping can be isolated.

Bottom line though is that, to me, it doesn't sound serious in any way.
Thanks andreigbs for the response. Yes I am suspecting the same thing with the chirping. Iíll definitely try what you suggested. Ah atleast Iíll have that extra peace of mind about my motor!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 06:13 PM   #8
Boris31
New Member
1
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: Bmw e90 320d
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Novi Sad

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
The actual diesel rumble sounds nice. What I do not like is that chirping sound. Mine does not chirp like that. Wonder if anyone else can chime in.

Edit: Here is mine from a few months ago.
To me both engines sounds great.
Please take a look at my engine sound, im concerned about that ticking noise from the right side of the engine at start.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 01:53 AM   #9
eugene89us
Second Lieutenant
United_States
156
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 328d
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: MS

iTrader: (0)

Boris31 I can reproduce the same ticking sound on the right side if I activate "measure engine oil" function. This results in car raising RPM from 780 at idle to exactly 1000rpm. Then I can hear the same tick until measurement is done and RPM drop back to idle. I will have to check mine on cold engine and will get back to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #10
Boris31
New Member
1
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: Bmw e90 320d
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Novi Sad

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
Boris31 I can reproduce the same ticking sound on the right side if I activate "measure engine oil" function. This results in car raising RPM from 780 at idle to exactly 1000rpm. Then I can hear the same tick until measurement is done and RPM drop back to idle. I will have to check mine on cold engine and will get back to you.
Hi, thanks for your answer. My rpms are normal. I did not activate measure oil function. When you have time take a look and please answer me if its the same sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 11:11 AM   #11
eugene89us
Second Lieutenant
United_States
156
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 328d
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: MS

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris31 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
Boris31 I can reproduce the same ticking sound on the right side if I activate "measure engine oil" function. This results in car raising RPM from 780 at idle to exactly 1000rpm. Then I can hear the same tick until measurement is done and RPM drop back to idle. I will have to check mine on cold engine and will get back to you.
Hi, thanks for your answer. My rpms are normal. I did not activate measure oil function. When you have time take a look and please answer me if its the same sound.
@Boris31, here is my N47 Cold started this morning. Garage temperature at 11C and outside temperature of - 1C. No ticking sounds. However, should I activate oil check function and RPMs rise, it ticks exactly like yours. I will try to video that as well in a day or two.

Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
318d, 320d, 328d, chain, n47, noise, timing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST