F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > A NEW 10.25" Android 7.1, 2GB / 32GB OPTION! CHECK INSIDE!
Extreme Powerhouse

05-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #111
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova66 View Post
Got the install completed yesterday. Here is a screenshot of the info:

The RAM is actually 2gb and the ROM is 32gb. Runs great so far. I was surprised to get audio from both music and video without hooking up the 3.5mm jack.
I would be really interessed to read a detailed review about this Ugode headunit. Will be great if you can provide some insights and a few photos.

What about the issues other android headunits have (audio quality, GPS)?

Thanks
I have the provided gps antenna installed under my dash. GPS starts up quick and I lock to satellites immediately. I believe all this is because I am running about 800mb of the 2gb memory. I recall seeing about 300mb of the 1gb used in the AVIN product. I have yet to find the time to spend digging in to the system as I would like.
The audio for the movie sample sounds great. The music sample not so much. My samsung s7 phone hooked up via Bluetooth without issue. The phonebook was transferred instantly. So far the screen looks great and easily switches between the two systems.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:31 PM   #112
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
I have the provided gps antenna installed under my dash. GPS starts up quick and I lock to satellites immediately. I believe all this is because I am running about 800mb of the 2gb memory. I recall seeing about 300mb of the 1gb used in the AVIN product. I have yet to find the time to spend digging in to the system as I would like.
The audio for the movie sample sounds great. The music sample not so much. My samsung s7 phone hooked up via Bluetooth without issue. The phonebook was transferred instantly. So far the screen looks great and easily switches between the two systems.
Can you do a demo video of Android Auto running on the system via your phone?
      05-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #113
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
Quote:
Can you do a demo video of Android Auto running on the system via your phone?
I will when I get a chance. I have yet to download any additional software to the unit.

Edit: I got the music dialed in. No aux cord was needed for my car. Under the settings options on the android side I adjusted the media volume from max to 15 and it works as good as the factory! I'm liking this head unit more and more.

Last edited by Supernova66; 05-09-2018 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:56 AM   #114
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2015

Quote:
I will when I get a chance. I have yet to download any additional software to the unit.

Edit: I got the music dialed in. No aux cord was needed for my car. Under the settings options on the android side I adjusted the media volume from max to 15 and it works as good as the factory! I'm liking this head unit more and more.
how much you've paid if you dont mind me asking ?
I chose f30 mainly because I could get this head unit with android 7.1 and 2gb of ram, coming from cheaper car with android hu this was my main priority

really glad you like it and looking at the HU Im pretty sure this is what new AVIN will become just with extra $200 slapped on top of it
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #115
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

had a chat with avin a couple of weeks aga and they told me that there was an android 7.x unit under development but that would be with the same hardware and was expected in beginning 2019....
But thats what they told me...
I really dont think the current units from avin or ugode or others are different from one-another do you?
When I see the Ugode datasheet it looks "manually changed" with the differences in a different font.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      05-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #116
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
had a chat with avin a couple of weeks aga and they told me that there was an android 7.x unit under development but that would be with the same hardware and was expected in beginning 2019....
But thats what they told me...
I really dont think the current units from avin or ugode or others are different from one-another do you?
When I see the Ugode datasheet it looks "manually changed" with the differences in a different font.
coming from mazda 3 eonon unit, rockching dual core with 1gb I would never go back to head unit with just 1gb of ram
Ugode is advertising as quadcore cpu with 2gb ram, I wouldnt trust built in info screens but you can easily install cpuz for android and verify if this unit has indeed 2 times more ram than AVIN one, coupled with much newer Android OS version I can believe that Ugode unit will be miles ahead of current AVIN one

basically CPU-Z or MyDevice
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...main.myandroid
should report 2GB of RAM

Last edited by losdamianos; 05-10-2018 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #117
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by minigp View Post
Im defiantly interested in this
So you're boldly and disobediently interested?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #118
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by losdamianos View Post
coming from mazda 3 eonon unit, rockching dual core with 1gb I would never go back to head unit with just 1gb of ram
Ugode is advertising as quadcore cpu with 2gb ram, I wouldnt trust built in info screens but you can easily install cpuz for android and verify if this unit has indeed 2 times more ram than AVIN one, coupled with much newer Android OS version I can believe that Ugode unit will be miles ahead of current AVIN one

basically CPU-Z or MyDevice
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...main.myandroid
should report 2GB of RAM
I have the Avin one but i seriously doubt the ugode being different (at least from a hardware point of view...
Ill install the app on my avin, if someone will install the ugode one
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #119
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
I have the Avin one but i seriously doubt the ugode being different (at least from a hardware point of view...
Ill install the app on my avin, if someone will install the ugode one
I will install it and provide a screen shot. Between work and family my time is limited to play with this thing. Last night I installed Google Play without any trouble. The backup camera (I have OE) switches instantly when placed into reverse. The particular unit I purchased is for the 2013-2017. Maybe because of the optical cable? One thing I can confirm - there are absolutely NO sound issues that seem to plague everyone on the AVIN thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #120
Drastaa
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2012, 335i

Quote:
I will install it and provide a screen shot. Between work and family my time is limited to play with this thing. Last night I installed Google Play without any trouble. The backup camera (I have OE) switches instantly when placed into reverse. The particular unit I purchased is for the 2013-2017. Maybe because of the optical cable? One thing I can confirm - there are absolutely NO sound issues that seem to plague everyone on the AVIN thread.
Please provide the screens. I will decide if I go for the Ugode since Android 4.4 vs. Android 7.1 is miles away and 1GB RAM vs. 2GB RAM are light years in such enviroment. But I am concerned as well since the Ugode's UI looks totally similar like the one on Android 4.4.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #121
Meat_Popsicle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i F30

Hi all!

I just joined the Bimmer community with my first BMW.
I was already aware of lack of good Android support by BMW, so this thread interests me a lot.

The partial connection to my phone that I managed to get is still far from what it should nowadays.

Thank you for allowing all of us to witness this showdown!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #122
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

One thing that's never been an issue with my Avin unit is the sound quality, the sound off my 64gb memory stick is as good as when I had it plugged into the USB under the armrest. In my non technical opinion it appears the more basic the original setup the better it seems to be, certainly been my experience.
Mick
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #123
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drastaa View Post
Please provide the screens. I will decide if I go for the Ugode since Android 4.4 vs. Android 7.1 is miles away and 1GB RAM vs. 2GB RAM are light years in such enviroment. But I am concerned as well since the Ugode's UI looks totally similar like the one on Android 4.4.
You are correct. The UI is essentially the same. From the spec sheet:

"UI BMW ID5,ID6 UI and support original BMW UI, build in canbus, support car information display, parking, aircondition, dashboard information etc."

Please tell me what your concern is? This is all new to me. The changes between tiles and Andriod apps are pretty snappy.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #124
Meat_Popsicle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i F30

Quote:

"UI BMW ID5,ID6 UI and support original BMW UI, build in canbus, support car information display, parking, aircondition, dashboard information etc."

Please tell me what your concern is? This is all new to me. The changes between tiles and Andriod apps are pretty snappy.
The concern would be that since the general look of the Ugode is very similar to that of the Avin, then maybe the Ugode doesn't really sport a faster cpu, more RAM, a newer version of Android. If that would be the case, then would the Ugode experience the same kind of issues that some have with their Avin?

Loading up an app that will fetch the specs of the unit instead of relying on the Ugode's spec info page would clear that up, since those info pages can be tricked.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #125
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Popsicle View Post
Quote:

The concern would be that since the general look of the Ugode is very similar to that of the Avin, then maybe the Ugode doesn't really sport a faster cpu, more RAM, a newer version of Android. If that would be the case, then would the Ugode experience the same kind of issues that some have with their Avin?

Loading up an app that will fetch the specs of the unit instead of relying on the Ugode's spec info page would clear that up, since those info pages can be tricked.
Got it. I will post something up shortly for all who are interested.

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected with either Ugode or AVIN. My entire goal was to search out the most bang for the buck system and present that info. I figured AVIN was purchasing from China, so why not see what was available on my own. To that end I stumbled upon Ugode (and many others) but thought Ugode was the best bang for buck. I had obvious trepidation ordering but figured PayPal had my back. I have cut a bulk deal (10 units) with Louie at Ugode if someone would like to take it on. Personally I just don't have the time to take care of it. If anyone might be interested PM me and I can give you the particulars.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2018, 03:33 AM   #126
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I am interested! once true 2gb is verified with cpu-z Im sure we can find 9 other fellow bimmers
PS CPU should be quadcore rockchip px3
https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/04...nt-dashboards/

Quote:

Im not really a wishfull thinker but physical look will be identical across all of retailers as the "shell" and most likely the screen is being sourced from the same manufacturer.
When it comes to UI it is basically custom android launcher which just has been ported over from previous version, if it already looks good enough and very similar to idrive 6 I dont see the point of reinventing the wheel.

I think everyone is trying to query the guts of this Head Unit, newer OS will provide better compatibility and will be snappier

Last edited by losdamianos; 05-11-2018 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 07:04 AM   #127
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

1gb for avin with the rockchip
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #128
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by losdamianos View Post
I am interested! once true 2gb is verified with cpu-z Im sure we can find 9 other fellow bimmers
PS CPU should be quadcore rockchip px3
https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/04...nt-dashboards/

Quote:

Im not really a wishfull thinker but physical look will be identical across all of retailers as the "shell" and most likely the screen is being sourced from the same manufacturer.
When it comes to UI it is basically custom android launcher which just has been ported over from previous version, if it already looks good enough and very similar to idrive 6 I dont see the point of reinventing the wheel.

I think everyone is trying to query the guts of this Head Unit, newer OS will provide better compatibility and will be snappier
As requested by all!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #129
MrChang
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport MG 2014

👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #130
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Nice Supernova66,
Is all working correctly?
I see your unit has video out as well.... that was one of my wishes for this system and my AVIN unit hasnt. Can this be used for a secondary screen for video while navigating/hearing the readio?
This would be awesome for my 2 year old kiddo
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #131
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320i

Thank you Supernova66 for the screenshots.
I think I'm ready to order.

Can you PM me the details how to participate the bulk deal?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #132
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

Interesting to see how little memory has been used, must be a lot of bloatware on the Avin, I only had just over 2GB spare....
Mick
Appreciate 0