F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Drive Mode-based Efficiency/Power
ARMA SPEED

07-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
crowed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Drive Mode-based Efficiency/Power

Hi guys, I have been wondering the following two questions for a while. Maybe one of you have some insight that will help me and others

1. For you guys out there with the 2012 335i in hand, what kind of efficiency difference do you see between the comfort/sport modes? I am assuming that the projected MPG given by BMW is based on the default (Comfort) mode. I don't think I'll use the Sport mode at all times, but if I chose to, what kind of mpg hit would there be (as compared to equivalent driving style with Comfort mode)?

2. Any idea if BMW posts 0-60 times based on the default (comfort) mode? If so, that means we can get a few tenths of a second better if driving in Sport mode. From a marketing standpoint, however, I don't see why they wouldn't post times consistent with the car's max capabilities-- unless of course there are regulations preventing them from listing mpg from one mode, and then 0-60 times from another, etc. I noticed that some of the reviews posted much faster than BMW posted times, so they must have tested with the sport mode.

Best,
crow

Last edited by crowed; 07-07-2012 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

My guess is that the MPG numbers are from Eco Pro.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
Exactly, and I guess for the 0-60 times they used sportmode, not comfort.

From comfort to sport irl doesn't make much difference(I have a manual box) in MPG , but switching to eco mode really does help. But it also kills the fun bigtime. So I actually never use it.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

As I see it, BMW are only giving 'modes' which some drivers are capable of without switches. MPG and performance are all in the hands of the driver anyway, which ever mode you choose.

I'm sure BMW are giving best of mpg figures and best performance possible for any given engine, would be foolish not to.

Mpg can be virtually halved, or doubled (whichever way we see it), simply on how we drive and conditions we drive in, so it is all so variable anyway. Drivers themselves are estimated to contribute to over 30% of the variation in mpg, hence why 'modes' may reduce consumption, as something like ECO-PRO encourages a more relaxed and economical driving style.

Using sport will typically waste fuel (compared to comfort) for the same driving speeds, etc., as there will be a lot of wasted rpm. But then again it all depends on how heavy the sport use is.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
I disagree, at least for the EPA numbers in the U.S. I believe the EPA requires that the MPG testing is performed with the default settings (meaning comfort), rather than with any special modes/features (i.e. Eco Pro) enabled. This is also why the start-stop system is on by default and can't be permanently disabled -- otherwise they couldn't take advantage of the system for the EPA numbers.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF30 View Post
I disagree, at least for the EPA numbers in the U.S. I believe the EPA requires that the MPG testing is performed with the default settings (meaning comfort), rather than with any special modes/features (i.e. Eco Pro) enabled. This is also why the start-stop system is on by default and can't be permanently disabled -- otherwise they couldn't take advantage of the system for the EPA numbers.
Yeah, it could be. That is why I said it was a guess.
Rules may be different from the US and the EU. I am not 100% sure how it is with the F30 since it has several driving programs. Usually its all calculated by the manufacturer using a model with the most optimized tires and least amount of equipment.
Appreciate 0