F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bimmercode - Error while reading coding data
ARMA SPEED

01-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Bimmercode - Error while reading coding data

Evening all,

Anyone had issues reading ECU's using the Bimmercode app (iOS) using the VGate BT OBD Adapter?

I've managed to code the DKOMBI but when I try and read HU_NBT_EVO, I get a "Error while reading coding data" message, which is real bummer as it's got most of the options I'd like to code.

On the G series the supported ECU's is very limited compared to the F series. I'm hoping this will change as the developer adds more support into later builds.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Did you do the “press start button 3 times in quick succession for diagnostic mode” that they state needs to be done on G series cars?

I didn’t need to on my G01 X3 to code the NBT EVO, but maybe it’s worth a try on yours.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Did you do the “press start button 3 times in quick succession for diagnostic mode” that they state needs to be done on G series cars?

I didn’t need to on my G01 X3 to code the NBT EVO, but maybe it’s worth a try on yours.
You have to do that otherwise the app won't connect at all.

Are you using the VGate BT or WiFi adapter?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Quote:

You have to do that otherwise the app won't connect at all.

Are you using the VGate BT or WiFi adapter?
The wifi one, but the instructions for both state the diag mode is required on G series. Definitely didn't need to on mine though.
Appreciate 1
kitster541.00
      01-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The wifi one, but the instructions for both state the diag mode is required on G series. Definitely didn't need to on mine though.
I got the BT one because the instructions on the bimmercode site said the WiFi one is "The current version of the Vgate iCar Pro Wi-Fi may not function properly, so it is not recommended any longer."

Which one did you get?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-ELM32...vgate+icar+pro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-Scann...vgate+icar+pro
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I got the BT one because the instructions on the bimmercode site said the WiFi one is "The current version of the Vgate iCar Pro Wi-Fi may not function properly, so it is not recommended any longer."

Which one did you get?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-ELM32...vgate+icar+pro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-Scann...vgate+icar+pro
The second one
Appreciate 1
kitster541.00
      01-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #7
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I got a reply from the developer of Bimmercode. It seems like the USB CarPlay unlock has altered the coding data signature for HU_NBT_EVO, that's why it can't read the ECU correctly.

Trying to reach out to the supplier for a file to back it out......oh man, I should have just paid for CarPlay or reached out to experts the forum. Doh.

I might try the £1 for the 1 Month CarPlay trial, see if that does anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #8
JUNNEL20
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I am having the same problem as you mentioned. I also purchased a USB CarPlay unlock from Ebay. Now I can not get bimmercode to show me the headunit settings to code. Have you resolved your issue? If so, please tell me how you did it.

Thanks!

Quote:
I got a reply from the developer of Bimmercode. It seems like the USB CarPlay unlock has altered the coding data signature for HU_NBT_EVO, that's why it can't read the ECU correctly.

Trying to reach out to the supplier for a file to back it out......oh man, I should have just paid for CarPlay or reached out to experts the forum. Doh.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #9
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNNEL20 View Post
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I am having the same problem as you mentioned. I also purchased a USB CarPlay unlock from Ebay. Now I can not get bimmercode to show me the headunit settings to code. Have you resolved your issue? If so, please tell me how you did it.

Thanks!

Quote:

Developer told me to VO code NBT, make the changes via Bimmercode, then reapply Carplay.

I never tried as I just couldn't be bothered!!! Apple refund me for Bimmercode, told them it wasn't working on my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #10
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Developer told me to VO code NBT, make the changes via Bimmercode, then reapply Carplay.

I never tried as I just couldn't be bothered!!! Apple refund me for Bimmercode, told them it wasn't working on my car.
Sorry to revive an old thread but im facing the same issue, Added Carplay to my G01 x3 and now I cannot code HU_NBT_EVO and all the coding I was looking fwd to doing is in this module.

Were you guys able to resolve this? Im not sure what ( VO code NBT ) means off hand to fix..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #11
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread but im facing the same issue, Added Carplay to my G01 x3 and now I cannot code HU_NBT_EVO and all the coding I was looking fwd to doing is in this module.

Were you guys able to resolve this? Im not sure what ( VO code NBT ) means off hand to fix..

Basically you need to revert the NU_NBT_EVO back to default using esys. Once that is done you make the changes in BimmerCode then reapply CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #12
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Basically you need to revert the NU_NBT_EVO back to default using esys. Once that is done you make the changes in BimmerCode then reapply CarPlay.
Is there any guides to follow to do that? I connected with ESYS 3.27.1 but once in have no idea where to go or how to do it.. I really just want to set it back to default
so I can code with the Bimmercode app and then reinstall my carplay when done.

Any guides or help would be greatly apreciated or if anyone offers remote coding that your aware of id throw them a few bucks via paypal.

Last edited by QUiKSR20; 04-14-2020 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 12:31 AM   #13
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cool I'll just have to see what that entails, once in esys is there just an option "return to default" on that module or a similar setting? If so I'll figure it out I'm an IT guy...
Can't do anything unfortunately till I fix it...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 03:26 AM   #14
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is there any guides to follow to do that? I connected with ESYS 3.27.1 but once in have no idea where to go or how to do it.. I really just want to set it back to default
so I can code with the Bimmercode app and then reinstall my carplay when done.

Any guides or help would be greatly apreciated or if anyone offers remote coding that your aware of id throw them a few bucks via paypal.
There is a dummy's guide (with steps), on the coding forum. I still have a printed out copy which I always kept when I was coding.

VO Code the NBT ECU (resetting the NBT to default)

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on ECU (HU_NBT) => Select CODE.

DO NOT CLICK ON THE CODE DEFAULT VALUES BUTTON.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 04:36 AM   #15
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

the only time I got an error code was when I didn't leave the engine running. I spent about 30 minutes completing the coding and when it came to updating the Vgate had lost connection. I had a "battery drain" warning after the dash cam had been running a few days, so I tried again with the engine running and it was ok
      04-14-2020, 08:48 AM   #16
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There is a dummy's guide (with steps), on the coding forum. I still have a printed out copy which I always kept when I was coding.

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on ECU (HU_NBT) => Select CODE.

Cool looks like im almost there, I can connect / read / activate FA but when I goto Read SVT I get this error ( have to research it )
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #17
ONEof500
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre

Tag for same issue
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 06:24 AM   #18
perzonal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Are you guys using Ebay Carplay? If yes and with the computer based install, you should have acess to a program that was used to install Carplay. With the same program you can uninstall it. Uninstalling it will ”open up” your NBT for coding again. After you’re done you simply reinstall the Carplay.

I had the same issues on my car with Ebay Carplay (computer method) and trying to code with BimmerCode. However the steps above solved my issues. Just to keep in mind that you have to uninstall Carplay when you want to code NBT and then reinstalling it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 04:04 AM   #19
micatech
MICATECH
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330i F30

Quote:

Hi,
I have same issue and have acess to Esys. I have never VO coded before and a little anxious about it. What you wrote seems straigyforward however. So if I do this it will return to exactly as it came from dealer???? Where does it get the info from to return it to as delivered state? Do I need to have made a backup for it to read to be able to do that as I dont have any backups but really want to learn how to make backups of each ECU or the whole car.
Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #20
Natkhat
ENGIN33R
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by perzonal View Post
Are you guys using Ebay Carplay? If yes and with the computer based install, you should have acess to a program that was used to install Carplay. With the same program you can uninstall it. Uninstalling it will ”open up” your NBT for coding again. After you’re done you simply reinstall the Carplay.

I had the same issues on my car with Ebay Carplay (computer method) and trying to code with BimmerCode. However the steps above solved my issues. Just to keep in mind that you have to uninstall Carplay when you want to code NBT and then reinstalling it.

Thanks, I am having the same issue. I installed CarPlay using computer method and having an issue with HU module. I will try to uninstall and reinstall after I finished coding with BimmerCode.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 07:57 AM   #21
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

You can code with esys but esys 3.27.1 is too old now for EVO, you need 3.33 or above but then you run into issues with the launcher.

If you revert to factory settings either using USB restore file (if your activation came with it) or Feature installer )make sure you have the latest version:

HERE

Or you VO code with esys then use bimmer code and then re-apply carplay.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 02:41 AM   #22
Mick.86uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F36 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbles View Post
You can code with esys but esys 3.27.1 is too old now for EVO, you need 3.33 or above but then you run into issues with the launcher.

If you revert to factory settings either using USB restore file (if your activation came with it) or Feature installer )make sure you have the latest version:

HERE

Or you VO code with esys then use bimmer code and then re-apply carplay.
Hi Wibbles,

I have CarPlay activated with feature installer and would like to remove for dealer software updates.

Do I remove CarPlay with original feature installer or use the newer version you have linked?