F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > PUMA case opened on my 335
GetBMWParts

01-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #23
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
I want to bust on that name sooooo badly but it's you so I will hold back sir

Never heard of them myself....sub'd. Best of luck with this and hopefully it results in a new transmission!

Haha! Cravises!
      01-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #24
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Quote:

Never heard of them myself....sub'd. Best of luck with this and hopefully it results in a new transmission!

^^ THIS:

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 05:47 PM   #25
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

^^ THIS:
What did I ever do to you to deserve such treatment Geoff?
      01-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #26
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

^^ THIS:
I'm sorry, it really wasn't you brother, it's the puma that got me man

Geoff - This is no Jeff, sounds like giraffe
Jeffrey - AKA Butler
Jeff - My name, definitely is Jeff and sounds like it's spelled!

Will stand down haha

EDIT: All joking aside, I really hope you get this transmission issue sorted. Where do you stand now with them? (they should be jumping now for God's sake lol)

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #27
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

^^ THIS:

Jeffrey - AKA Butler

Will stand down haha

EDIT: All joking aside, I really hope you get this transmission issue sorted. Where do you stand now with them? (they should be jumping now for God's sake lol)
Haha! Just messin' round with the name thing.

So I have to drop the car off this coming Monday. I've asked them to escalate the issue as best they can because I can't keep driving 35 miles each way to have them look at the car. The foreman took a spin with me last time I was there and he agreed there was something up.

We'll see what they say this time around. Apparently BMW is already aware of the issue with this whole PUMA deal.
      01-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #28
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

^^ THIS:

Jeffrey - AKA Butler

Will stand down haha

Haha! Just messin' round with the name thing.

So I have to drop the car off this coming Monday. I've asked them to escalate the issue as best they can because I can't keep driving 35 miles each way to have them look at the car. The foreman took a spin with me last time I was there and he agreed there was something up.

We'll see what they say this time around. Apparently BMW is already aware of the issue with this whole PUMA deal.
Hopefully they don't just keep throwing"ideas" at it. In situations such as yours, I don't know why they don't call the "engineering team" if you will right away if they're stumped.

There was one occasion that Cadillac brought in a "GM engineer" to look at my situation and it turned out to be a short in the wiring to one of the modules. (problem was CEL light ONLY when braking, no codes, LMAO) They had it for four weeks and ended up extending my warranty over it which cracked me up. It sucked and in the end, I seriously question GM's factory workers yet it was resolved and I enjoyed the car for three more years trouble free for the most part. Let's hope yours ends in a similar way man

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:34 PM   #29
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

It's not unusual for BMW to try replacing certain parts first without having a definitive root cause first. Just be patient and keep meticulous records.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 07:41 PM   #30
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
So I've been having some weird issues with my transmission for a few weeks. When in Sport or Sport + mode coasting on highway in a higher gear (6th 7th), stepping on the gas to overtake results in a "clunk" while downshifting. There's hesitation, a clunk, then the transmission recovers.

I've taken the car to the dealer twice now for this and the third time (now) I get the following message from the SA:

"We have performed an oil balancing test to check the fluid in the trans and filed an PUMA case for this issue. PUMA takes a few days to get a result to expect the keep the loaner for a few days.

Just so you know, PUMA are the BMW engineers essentially taking over the repairs. Hang tight, they are looking into it."

Not sure what hat to think here. I've never had a PUMA case opened on my behalf and don't know what to expect. Anyone here have a similar experience with PUMA?
I've just had a PUMA case opened on my ZF 8HP45 on my 2014 335i RWD M Sport. It has approximately 86,000 miles on it and the transmission has developed a whine on moderate acceleration in lower gears (2-5) as well as in reverse when the transmission is loaded up. The sound more audible once the transmission and engine have warmed up. The transmission also has very rough 3 to 2 and 2 to 1 downshifts that were noticeable by the foreman without even being warmed up.

My GF's X3 35i has a rough 3 to 2 and 2 to 1 downshift and her car has approximately 40,000 miles on the ZF 8HP45.
What is the likelihood that your issues are related to your changing the fluid in the transmission? I'll bet BMW wouldn't look too kindly on the case if they were aware of this; given their stance of fluid being a "lifetime fill".

Not faulting you for wanting to take the precautionary stance of changing the fluid. I too have struggled with the dilemma of leaving the fluid untouched for an extended period of time. Even the local dealer has said they'd be willing to change the fluid; but the risk of problems with the tranny post the fluid change are mine to bear (ie if the tranny slips or exhibits problems post the fluid change; they wash their hands off it).
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #31
vooonoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Garage List
2014 f30 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I've had this damn screen name for over 20 years! Gotta be real and keep the legend going!

I've had nothing but bad luck with this car so far. 4 months and I've had the following:

Catalytic converter swapped, injector swapped, horn swapped, door actuator swapped, blower motor swapped and now the trans.
When i first read this, for some reason I thought they did these things to help your shifting problem, not a separate problem lol
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 08:11 PM   #32
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooonoo View Post
Quote:
I've had this damn screen name for over 20 years! Gotta be real and keep the legend going!

I've had nothing but bad luck with this car so far. 4 months and I've had the following:

Catalytic converter swapped, injector swapped, horn swapped, door actuator swapped, blower motor swapped and now the trans.
When i first read this, for some reason I thought they did these things to help your shifting problem, not a separate problem lol
Haha! We keep swapping parts at this pace and this car will eventually be brand new!
      01-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #33
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
What is the likelihood that your issues are related to your changing the fluid in the transmission? I'll bet BMW wouldn't look too kindly on the case if they were aware of this; given their stance of fluid being a "lifetime fill".

Not faulting you for wanting to take the precautionary stance of changing the fluid. I too have struggled with the dilemma of leaving the fluid untouched for an extended period of time. Even the local dealer has said they'd be willing to change the fluid; but the risk of problems with the tranny post the fluid change are mine to bear (ie if the tranny slips or exhibits problems post the fluid change; they wash their hands off it).
And for this reason you change the tranny fluid every 15k to 20 k miles. This time I went one step further and went with a 6 speed manual instead of the 8 speed auto. Been through that with a used 6 year old Volvo S80 T6. Previous owner perhaps believed in the lifetime fluid crap so I had no idea about the tranny service.history .I had the car 2years then the tranny went and no warranty. No one was wiling to change the fluid for me(volvo dealers).
      01-30-2018, 05:12 AM   #34
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

So this one was interesting.

The dealership initially said that they checked the fluid level and it was fine and within spec.

BMW NA told them told them to drain the transmission completely, and they determined it was short 2 liters.

They said the transmission was leaking near the back by the transmission mounts. It didn't make sense to me.

Long story short, the problem was resolved.

If you're doing the transmission drain and fill, I'd recommend measuring the amount of fluid that comes out of the transmission just to make sure.

It seems that transmissions in general usually have few problems if they are slightly overfilled, but are prone to having issues if they are under-filled.

This Youtube video may explain the discrepancy between the BMW procedure to check fluid level and why the transmission may still be short fluid.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #35
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Quote:

The dealership initially said that they checked the fluid level and it was fine and within spec.

BMW NA told them told them to drain the transmission completely, and they determined it was short 2 liters.

They said the transmission was leaking near the back by the transmission mounts. It didn't make sense to me.

If you're doing the transmission drain and fill, I'd recommend measuring the amount of fluid that comes out of the transmission just to make sure.

It seems that transmissions in general usually have few problems if they are slightly overfilled, but are prone to having issues if they are under-filled.

This Youtube video may explain the discrepancy between the BMW procedure to check fluid level and why the transmission may still be short fluid.

Good to know.

The fact that everyone wants to throw their hands up and say ".....but if something happens; it's not our problem"; makes the tranny fluid maintenance issue a real dilemma. Even Indy shops will tell you that they'll perform the service; but will assume zero risk for problems post the procedure.

It's such a damn cop out as the tranny manufacturer recommends periodic fluid changes.

With a $7K price tag; it's hard to dick around. At the end of the day it all boils down to gd money (what doesn't really!).....BMW wants you to swap your vehicle after 100K miles; and therefore won't take any maintenance measures to prolong a component beyond this threshold.
Appreciate 1
ceedawg467.50
      01-30-2018, 06:06 PM   #36
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

UPDATE:

I get this message from my SA this evening:

"Good afternoon George. We printed the environmental conditions as well as the fault memory and my shop foreman is looking it over. Just be aware we are going to take our time with this car. I hope they gave you something nice"

Not sure what to make of this and not really sure what "environmental conditions" are. Can anyone shed some light? BTW I got a god damn 320 with no NAV as a loaner. Not sure how long I'm stuck with this thing now.
      01-31-2018, 08:20 PM   #37
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

My SA found out that I was given a 320i as a loaner and had me come into the service center for a loaner swap. Had a brand new 2018 X3 30i with 200 miles on it waiting for me. Awesome SUV. I owned a 2006 X3 a while back and it was a solid ride. I liked it a lot and it gave me zero issues. They did a great job with this iteration.
      01-31-2018, 10:27 PM   #38
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
My SA found out that I was given a 320i as a loaner and had me come into the service center for a loaner swap. Had a brand new 2018 X3 30i with 200 miles on it waiting for me. Awesome SUV. I owned a 2006 X3 a while back and it was a solid ride. I liked it a lot and it gave me zero issues. They did a great job with this iteration.
Yes! My girlfriend just bought one. It's an unbelievable car. My 2015 335 fully optioned looks cheap next to hers.

However they did give her a new X5 loaner with the B58. She said the engine in that turned her on. Haha... I have 340 on order ;-)

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #39
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Can anyone explain to me was integration level software update entails exactly? Just got this from SA:

"Please don't kill me. I am not sure what happened during the previous visit. but it looks like the car was never programmed. We looked into the integration level of the car and we've got some old software in the car. We are going to be programming the car. This is not covered but I am going to take care of this one for you because of the hassle. It should be ready tomorrow"

What exactly gets programmed?
      02-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #40
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Quote:
Can anyone explain to me was integration level software update entails exactly? Just got this from SA:

"Please don't kill me. I am not sure what happened during the previous visit. but it looks like the car was never programmed. We looked into the integration level of the car and we've got some old software in the car. We are going to be programming the car. This is not covered but I am going to take care of this one for you because of the hassle. It should be ready tomorrow"

They are updating the software on the transmission control unit. AKA it will be a waste of time if it is a mechanical issue, just another headache for you to take the car back and tell them it didn't work. On the bright side this should be the last hurdle you need to jump through before they approve a new transmission
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 06:59 PM   #41
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
Quote:

They are updating the software on the transmission control unit. AKA it will be a waste of time if it is a mechanical issue, just another headache for you to take the car back and tell them it didn't work. On the bright side this should be the last hurdle you need to jump through before they approve a new transmission
Thanks. So let's say there isn't a mechanical issue with the transmission, is there any benefit I would see/recognize after this update? Is this just them tossing a coin and hoping for a fix?
      02-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #42
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
+1. The dealer said that they were going to reset adaptation values and reprogram the car initially. I told them the symptoms were that of a mechanical issue and the reset adaptation values/reprogram the car was not going to fix it.

Turns out, as expected, resetting adaptation values/reprogramming the car was not going to fix the transmission being low on fluid.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 11:39 AM   #43
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Looks like the software updates to the car did the trick. Transmission is super smooth now in all modes and I have a couple of new features in the iDrive as well. Before, when I turned my heated steering wheel on I wouldn't get any notifications, now I get that in the dash.
      02-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #44
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440xi Gran Coupe!!!!

Glad to hear it all worked out for you! A long and winding road!!

Enjoy!!!
Appreciate 0