F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android Auto?
Extreme Powerhouse

07-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #1
tarekelsakka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i

Android Auto?

Hi there

I have a 2013 F30 with an iDrive NBT Evo retrofitted and working 100%. I do use Apple CarPlay a lot because it's quite nice and snappy, but my main device is a Galaxy S9+ so I was hoping there's an alternative that can be retrofitted/installed. I don't mind mirroring the screen, but I do want to be able to control my device from the car while driving.

I have been reading up on Android Auto which my sister has in her SEAT and it's actually good and practical, but I am not sure how to actually obtain it in my BMW? I honestly thought it was part of the deal when retrofitting this NBT Evo but I was wrong.

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Cam428
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

It doesn't get discussed as much as Carplay, but several of the aftermarket MMI units mentioned in this forum also support AndroidAuto. I ordered a generic unit from China on AliExpress and while it works, the audio quality is lacking and it takes some time for it to load up.

Even as someone who has never owned an iPhone, if I was in your shoes I'd consider just switching to iPhone before messing around with installing a MMI unit just to get Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
tarekelsakka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i

Cam428 In all honesty, I read about the MMI units (such as Avin's) but I do not want to fiddle around with all of that, especially since my iDrive unit IS actually retrofitted not stock. I was hoping there were easier alternatives to get this working but I seem to be out of luck.

I use a Galaxy S9+ and an iPhone 7 simultaneously, and mainly because I need the latter for work, but I find myself using the Galaxy as my main device since I prefer Android. I thought about selling both and going for an iPhone XS but I haven't made the decision yet. I am assuming there will be a completely new iPhone by late September?
Appreciate 0