F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > UPDATE: Upgrading Just the Rear M Performance Calipers
Extreme Powerhouse

03-07-2021, 04:30 AM   #45
Romeo190
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KushPatel View Post
UPDATE! It took me a while to get ISTA+ finally working on my laptop, but once I did, I used it to activate this pump by the master cylinder and bled the brakes and now they're working perfectly once again! At first they felt nearly the same, but after a few days of use, they kept increasing and are now better than ever!

Thank you Jadar for saving my life!
I need your help..... I have the same issue with my f30 I purchased the blue 2 pistons calipers for the rear and I'm feeling my breaks mushi And it sinks in how can I fix this issue your help would be greatly appreciated.... I bleed the system twice and can't fix the issue.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1750.50
      04-02-2021, 02:24 PM   #46
Nimana
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340xi f31

Rear caliper upgrade

Hey guys!

So om doing this soon also, but i didnt know the upgrade needed coding. I have never coded anything on my car before. What i know is this:

Rear rotors need to be 345 in order for the calipers to fit. I also know you have to bleed the calipers, but what i didnt know was that the car has to be in "bleeding mode"? Do i have to hook the car up to a pc for bleeding the calipers? How can i find what to do in the software when i code the upgrade?

Im new to this forum, joined today. I really need help, bmw dealers in sweden take shitloads of money to do this kind of stuff, so im all DIY. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 07:32 AM   #47
hulksta
Rep
Drives: F30 330d 2013

Hi all,

Completely in the other direction for my dilemma.
I have single piston all round, and I only want to upgrade the fronts to 340mm Brembo and leave the single piston at the back as the OP had.

Question - apart from the calipers and disks, do I need to code my car? Do I need any other additional hardware?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 09:34 PM   #48
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimana View Post
Hey guys!

So om doing this soon also, but i didnt know the upgrade needed coding. I have never coded anything on my car before. What i know is this:

Rear rotors need to be 345 in order for the calipers to fit. I also know you have to bleed the calipers, but what i didnt know was that the car has to be in "bleeding mode"? Do i have to hook the car up to a pc for bleeding the calipers? How can i find what to do in the software when i code the upgrade?

Im new to this forum, joined today. I really need help, bmw dealers in sweden take shitloads of money to do this kind of stuff, so im all DIY. [IMG][/IMG]
There was never any bleed mode required for bleeding calipers or changing brake fluid. You just had to code for the appropriate brake size change. The only bleeding mode is actually a setting you put the car in when you let air into the brake system and or change out the brake booster pump. It's a setting the csr is placed in and usually sits for over 24 hours and cavitates the booster to clear the air.

As far as getting ISTA for your car do a search on here there are people that can send you the program to download via email. It's changed quite a lot and evolved since I've messed with BMW cars but there are people on here ther can send it to you.
      04-10-2021, 09:39 PM   #49
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulksta View Post
Hi all,

I have single piston all round, and I only want to upgrade the fronts to 340mm Brembo and leave the single piston at the back as the OP had.

Question - apart from the calipers and disks, do I need to code my car? Do I need any other additional hardware?

Thank you
Yes you have to code for the 340mm I'm assuming you're using. It's a totally different clamping pressure and you need to have the ecu understand that due to the brake caliper and rotor size change. Coding you need ISTA and the cable. Do a search on the forum there are Memebers that can send you the ISTA program free and the cable is like $30-$40 bucks if I remember correct. I don't know anymore I'm not on these forums that much anymore.
      04-12-2021, 06:43 AM   #50
hulksta
Rep
Drives: F30 330d 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
Yes you have to code for the 340mm I'm assuming you're using. It's a totally different clamping pressure and you need to have the ecu understand that due to the brake caliper and rotor size change. Coding you need ISTA and the cable. Do a search on the forum there are Memebers that can send you the ISTA program free and the cable is like $30-$40 bucks if I remember correct. I don't know anymore I'm not on these forums that much anymore.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 02:32 AM   #51
Tommi_Mav
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F32 435dx

Garage List
Quote:
I guess you'll probably need to install the upgraded Master Cylinder too. All cars that have the 340/370mm 4-piston front calipers from the factory have the larger MC. I've read in other threads that some people, who went your way, had a very mushy pedal afterwards when they didn't change the MC.

Go for one from a 335i/d, which have at least the 340 front caliper. I think it's the same with the ones on M3/M4. Of course, do your homework first.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 02:36 AM   #52
Tommi_Mav
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi all,

Thank you
Apart from the upgraded MC as I wrote above, I also forgot that you'll need the larger rotor shields.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:28 AM   #53
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi_Mav View Post
Apart from the upgraded MC as I wrote above, I also forgot that you'll need the larger rotor shields.
The existing one work fine, I didn't have to change mine for the new 345mm rotors. I had the 340mm/330mm brakes from the factory with the grey M-Sport 4 piston caliper in the front. I guess the cars with base brakes might need new shields. I didn't have to do any coding either.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1750.50
      05-03-2021, 03:32 AM   #54
Tommi_Mav
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
The existing one work fine, I didn't have to change mine for the new 345mm rotors. I had the 340mm/330mm brakes from the factory with the grey M-Sport 4 piston caliper in the front. I guess the cars with base brakes might need new shields. I didn't have to do any coding either.
Yes, but you already had the 340 4-pots in front. The member asking has single pots all round, so he definitely gonna need upgraded MC and coding.
Regarding the shields, he probably won't need them, but I pointed them out in case he wants to have a complete stock look.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 05:31 AM   #55
eljefe30
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW f30 340i

Really helpful, thanks for posting!
Appreciate 1
Jadar1750.50
      07-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #56
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I guess you'll probably need to install the upgraded Master Cylinder too. All cars that have the 340/370mm 4-piston front calipers from the factory have the larger MC. I've read in other threads that some people, who went your way, had a very mushy pedal afterwards when they didn't change the MC.

Go for one from a 335i/d, which have at least the 340 front caliper. I think it's the same with the ones on M3/M4. Of course, do your homework first.
I have never seen BMW call for an upgraded MC tbh, they always had the complete bbk in the catalogs. It may be the case if you have like a 28i or 30i car as everything is smaller on those cars including the rear axles so that's why the dust plate is such a pita to change on those when swapping to bbk. It could be the case but for 35i or 40i cars coding properly always worked from what I saw. Also to note different type of pads also made world of difference in pedal mush feel.
      07-08-2021, 01:18 PM   #57
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Thank you
Only on the sub 35i cars you'll need the dust shields. 35i and up the shields are the same that bmw bbk comes with so it's a waste of time. They're just throw away or paperweights.
      07-08-2021, 11:47 PM   #58
Tommi_Mav
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have never seen BMW call for an upgraded MC tbh, they always had the complete bbk in the catalogs. It may be the case if you have like a 28i or 30i car as everything is smaller on those cars including the rear axles so that's why the dust plate is such a pita to change on those when swapping to bbk. It could be the case but for 35i or 40i cars coding properly always worked from what I saw. Also to note different type of pads also made world of difference in pedal mush feel.
Well, Hulksta has a 30d. Best thing is to check via his VIN on realoem.com if his MC is the same with more powerful versions. If he's ok with that, then he's done just with coding.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 07:28 AM   #59
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Well, Hulksta has a 30d. Best thing is to check via his VIN on realoem.com if his MC is the same with more powerful versions. If he's ok with that, then he's done just with coding.
Yeah true real oem is a great recourse for sure. He should post and update here when he sorts it all out
      07-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #60
Abrosk927
Rep
Drives: 2019 Alpine White 440i M Sport

I need to do this
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #61
TheJungatron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD- USA

I’m sure this question has been asked 20 times but what are we painting these with? I ordered some blue rear m240 brake calipers for my f30 335i and want th all to match. I’m ok doing it myself also. Thanks for advice!
(Retired - 1987 325i Vert)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 12:27 PM   #62
TheJungatron
Lieutenant
Rep

What kind or brand of paint did you spray? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimana View Post
Hey guys!

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #63
richsvo
Rep
Drives: BMW 435Xi Gran Coupe

Great write-up for an "easy" upgrade. However, in shopping for the calipers, seems that because they have an ///M on the side of them, they are quite overpriced! My question is this: Is there a Brembo part number for the rear 2 piston caliper that is compatible with the mounting on the BMW's?
Thanks in advance - Any help would be appreciated!
      08-20-2021, 09:03 AM   #64
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungatron View Post
I’m sure this question has been asked 20 times but what are we painting these with? I ordered some blue rear m240 brake calipers for my f30 335i and want th all to match. I’m ok doing it myself also. Thanks for advice!
I got mine painted at a shop but I've read some good feedback on G2 caliper paint, it needs to be brushed on the calipers and evens out itself while drying. https://www.g2usa.com
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #65
TheJungatron
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungatron View Post
I got mine painted at a shop but I've read some good feedback on G2 caliper paint, it needs to be brushed on the calipers and evens out itself while drying. https://www.g2usa.com
Thanks. Went a different route. If it fails I'll just have them blasted and powder coated :-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 08:39 PM   #66
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
After much controversy I found out that the M235i runs this setup from the factory. 340mm front (blue) 345mm rear (blue).
Sorry for necro but...

Do you or anyone else know if a M235i caliper will fit on an F30?

Having trouble procuring the 2 piston rear brembos at a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0