F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F series adaptive - Bilstein damptronic PnP dampers
GetBMWParts

12-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #45
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Fwiw, ordered the KW DDC, should be having them on next week.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #46
jazza
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Fwiw, ordered the KW DDC, should be having them on next week.
Yes, KW DDC was my first choice, but knowing that Bilstein announced his Damptronic and knowing that it drops a little less than KW and that Bilstein is usually more progressive and less stiff, the choice was clear to me. So, just wait...
      12-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #47
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

My shop only has good things to say about the KW, i'll make sure to share my findings here next week.
Appreciate 2
Bee Pee1766.50
jazza300.50
      12-14-2016, 02:52 AM   #48
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
My shop only has good things to say about the KW, i'll make sure to share my findings here next week.
Look forward to reading your feedback.

Whats yr current suspension setup - total standard or with upgraded springs ?

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
jazza300.50
      12-14-2016, 04:22 AM   #49
Gr-Racing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, F30 335i, 1986 K75

Kw are good just to soft if your going to lower
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 05:27 AM   #50
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr-Racing View Post
Kw are good just to soft if your going to lower
Do you mean KW's ride on the bumpstops if lowered too much ?

If so not good at all, defeats the objective of having c/o's

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #51
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Did anyone install Bilstein Damptronic coilovers on F32 or F36? Very interested in early feedback.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #52
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neema@TAG View Post
We are an authorized Bilstein dealer and carry their full line of products! These particular parts are not available yet but we'll be able to get them as soon as anybody!
Do you know if these products will be for the LCI 340 as well?
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 06:14 AM   #53
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Bump, any word on the B16 coilovers yet? I'm between a rock and a hard place waiting for these vs Dinan Shockware + springs (Shockware on sale through end of Feb... coincidence?)

- tgm
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #54
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Hi

So there we go

We have fitted the KW DDC last Friday, here are a couple of things to share:
Note that this car isn't a track toy, it's a family sedan that I aim at making more capable performance-wise, with a couple of track days a year.
Note also that I had fitted H&R anti roll bars, influencing the overall experience.

Ride height:
You get plenty of adjustment to lower, perhaps you could even start higher than regular adaptive M suspension; and definitely go much lower (not sure how useful that is)
Rear seems to be a bit more painful to adjust, as the coil seems to rotate with the adjustment ring for now, that might change when it's settled a bit.

Ride feeling:
Standard Comfort mode:
The car feels 250kg lighter

The KW are much more 'transparent' than stock, which is both a good and bad thing, ride comfort is definitely not as good as before, though acceptable - i didn't get complaints from wife or kids after 200km drive - but you also get much more feeling of the surface.

High speed:
A bit of left/right bounciness on the highway which wasn't expected, tolerable but not great. I hope this goes away with springs settling. More feeling of road surface but not too a point where it becomes annoying.
Steering resistance is increased a bit I think, which isn't a bad thing but needs some getting used to.

Low speed:
Overall low speed feeling is much more brisk, in a way that says you're well planted on the ground but that also may be a bit harsh for city driving. But here the ARBs influence the feeling a lot too.

[UPDATE] after a going back to my usual city drive, it's actually very positive : the ride is indeed more firm and transfers more of the surface, but bigger bumps are actually very well managed, much much better than stock. Difficult to explain but overall very happy in fact.

Something I wasn't expecting - and perhaps I'm imagining? - hard braking seems much better managed, I suspect that due to the front not "surrendering", the rear gets more adherence, and as a result I felt the ABS came in much later that I would expect. This isn't a well controlled test, just a thought that occured both times I had to brake hard this weekend, and felt the pedal could go farther before ABS kicked in. That's great.

Sport/Sport+ is just fun, makes that mid size F30 sedan feel like a go kart - perfect for spirited driving and track days !

Overall conclusion:
Very positive, now that I'm just beginning to get used to it, the car has a generally much tighter feeling, also much better balanced with the stiffer anti-roll bars, a bit more brisk, and a bit less comfortable but not so much, also actually dealing much better with surface difficulties. I just hope that bouncing feeling on the highway goes away.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lancelot; 02-19-2017 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 2
Bee Pee1766.50
jazza300.50
      02-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #55
jazza
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 428i

Quote:
Hi

So there we go

We have fitted the KW DDC last Friday, here are a couple of things to share:
Note that this car isn't a track toy, it's a family sedan that I aim at making more capable performance-wise, with a couple of track days a year.
Note also that I had fitted H&R anti roll bars, influencing the overall experience.

Ride height:
You get plenty of adjustment to lower, perhaps you could even start higher than regular adaptive M suspension; and definitely go much lower (not sure how useful that is)
Rear seems to be a bit more painful to adjust, as the coil seems to rotate with the adjustment ring for now, that might change when it's settled a bit.

Ride feeling:
Standard Comfort mode:
The car feels 250kg lighter

The KW are much more 'transparent' than stock, which is both a good and bad thing, ride comfort is definitely not as good as before, though acceptable - i didn't get complaints from wife or kids after 200km drive - but you also get much more feeling of the surface.

High speed:
A bit of left/right bounciness on the highway which wasn't expected, tolerable but not great. I hope this goes away with springs settling. More feeling of road surface but not too a point where it becomes annoying.
Steering resistance is increased a bit I think, which isn't a bad thing but needs some getting used to.

Low speed:
Overall low speed feeling is much more brisk, in a way that says you're well planted on the ground but that also may be a bit harsh for city driving. But here the ARBs influence the feeling a lot too.

[UPDATE] after a going back to my usual city drive, it's actually very positive : the ride is indeed more firm and transfers more of the surface, but bigger bumps are actually very well managed, much much better than stock. Difficult to explain but overall very happy in fact.

Something I wasn't expecting - and perhaps I'm imagining? - hard braking seems much better managed, I suspect that due to the front not "surrendering", the rear gets more adherence, and as a result I felt the ABS came in much later that I would expect. This isn't a well controlled test, just a thought that occured both times I had to brake hard this weekend, and felt the pedal could go farther before ABS kicked in. That's great.

Sport/Sport+ is just fun, makes that mid size F30 sedan feel like a go kart - perfect for spirited driving and track days !

Overall conclusion:
Very positive, now that I'm just beginning to get used to it, the car has a generally much tighter feeling, also much better balanced with the stiffer anti-roll bars, a bit more brisk, and a bit less comfortable but not so much, also actually dealing much better with surface difficulties. I just hope that bouncing feeling on the highway goes away.
Thanks a lot for your review
      02-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #56
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Overall conclusion:
Lancelot,

The highway bounce maybe due to ARB's and spring rates being collective too stiff or it might be that your OEM adaptive VDC module needs to be re-flashed to latest FW.

Maybe worth talking thru the issue with KW tech support, if the bounciness doesn't go away as suspension settles with use.

Meanwhile, I will keep waiting for B6 or B16 damptronic

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #57
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Lancelot,

The highway bounce maybe due to ARB's and spring rates being collective too stiff or it might be that your OEM adaptive VDC module needs to be re-flashed to latest FW.

Maybe worth talking thru the issue with KW tech support, if the bounciness doesn't go away as suspension settles with use.

BP
That's a good idea. I'll ask my shop too.

We'll see how it evolves, if still present in a couple of weeks I will try weaker settings on the anti roll bar, i'm at maximum strength now.
      02-23-2017, 09:38 PM   #58
a18012
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Quote:
Lancelot,

BP
That's a good idea. I'll ask my shop too.

We'll see how it evolves, if still present in a couple of weeks I will try weaker settings on the anti roll bar, i'm at maximum strength now.
How does one "reflash" the VDC module. Is this something only the dealer can do?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 02:16 AM   #59
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a18012 View Post
How does one "reflash" the VDC module. Is this something only the dealer can do?
Yes.

My car went in for MPBBK coding and before they coded the brakes the dealer had to perform a number of refreshes to my cars operating system via BMW HQ servers.

I got better I drive graphics, 2000rpm blip at start up, AT shifts were smooth and adaptive damping responses felt better.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #60
a18012
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a18012 View Post
Yes.

My car went in for MPBBK coding and before they coded the brakes the dealer had to perform a number of refreshes to my cars operating system via BMW HQ servers.

I got better I drive graphics, 2000rpm blip at start up, AT shifts were smooth and adaptive damping responses felt better.
My dealer says they will charge me ~$200-300 for a software update. Was the change after flashing noticeable, would it be worth spending the money?

I've already done the Dinan shockware and springs, Michelin pilot super sport tires but still not happy. Waiting for these bilstein dampers, but I suspect they be out of my budget, in which case I may just get rid of EDC all together and go with a non adaptive damper...or it might just be time to give up on this car (2014 f32 rwd) and get something else...sigh
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #61
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Some news and a question (perhaps for Bee Pee )

I put back on my summer 19" wheels instead of 18" winter wheels, and unfortunately it's rubbing a little at the front of the right wheel pit, this being most likely due to my using the M3 lower control arms to get more camber, which are pushing the wheel towards the front.

Left is fine apparently because it's got a bit less caster than right.

And KW's are at their highest settings so slightly higher than i'd like but still seem to be rubbing, and anyway to close for me to be perfectly comfortable.

==> I think I need to change my LCAs for the M135i/M235i LCAs which are not as long as F80, but still longer than stock, Bee Pee I think you are lowered but use the stock M135i LCA? Or do you have the M3 LCA as well?
      03-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #62
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Some news and a question (perhaps for Bee Pee )

I put back on my summer 19" wheels instead of 18" winter wheels, and unfortunately it's rubbing a little at the front of the right wheel pit, this being most likely due to my using the M3 lower control arms to get more camber, which are pushing the wheel towards the front.

Left is fine apparently because it's got a bit less caster than right.

And KW's are at their highest settings so slightly higher than i'd like but still seem to be rubbing, and anyway to close for me to be perfectly comfortable.

==> I think I need to change my LCAs for the M135i/M235i LCAs which are not as long as F80, but still longer than stock, Bee Pee I think you are lowered but use the stock M135i LCA? Or do you have the M3 LCA as well?
Lancelot

Yes lowered with m4 LCAs and matching m4 tension strut - no rubbing as TS move wheel to be central in the wheel arch and raise height very slightly.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 01:31 AM   #63
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Ah yes - i remember now, you managed to install the tension strut with spacers. I think in case of problem our insurance inspectors would have a heart attack seeing this

i think it's a safer option for me to try the m135i camber arms. At least i know i loved my m135i, if the hybrid 3 comes close to that i'm a happy man
      03-13-2017, 04:41 AM   #64
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ah yes - i remember now, you managed to install the tension strut with spacers. I think in case of problem our insurance inspectors would have a heart attack seeing this

i think it's a safer option for me to try the m135i camber arms. At least i know i loved my m135i, if the hybrid 3 comes close to that i'm a happy man
Lancelot,

I think you best check M135i LCAs 1st as they maybe the same length as AH3 LCAs...

If after a little more camber without F8x LCAS, it might be worth checking if the AH3 hub carriers can be changed out for the -0.5 deg camber correction items 31216854199/200 left & right which are standard fitment on m135i.

Current '22 X3M LCI..

Last edited by Bee Pee; 03-13-2017 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 05:21 AM   #65
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

The M135i/M235i come with specific part numbers for the LCAs, hence my idea they may be longer.
Would you be able to measure your stock LCAs from the M135i? I would do the same on my original AH3.

The hub carrier is a good idea too, I need to think this through.
      03-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #66
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

OK so my AH3 control arm is about 36cm long or 14.2"
Would you be able to measure the same for M135i control arm to settle the matter?
Attached Images