F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Heater Woes
Studio RSR

01-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
fatboy_coach
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D

Heater Woes

So a week into ownership and it looks like it's time to call on the warranty

Heater seemed to be working but a little noisy so I removed the fan to check for leaves. The motor is spinning fine in the footwell, changing speed with the controls as expected. There were no leaves found, so I reassembled everything and now there is no air blowing though at all, I've had the motor out a second time to check I've reassembled everything ok and the motor seems fine when not fitted into the housing.

I then took the car to get the aircon checked incase the gas was low and the tech noted that the AC wouldn't kick in despite the correct amount of gas being in the system. I can hear the vents changing when you adjust where the air should be coming from but I don't get any airflow. Any ideas? I'd like to rule everything out before potentially losing the car for a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Well, lots of warranties have the equivalent of 'amateur has fucked about with it and made it worse, so no longer under warranty' clause.

Might I suggest the first step being this : you stop digging the hole even deeper.

Second step being : call the dealer, and let people who actually know what they are doing play with it.
Appreciate 2
Lincoln61746.50
Edinburra546.50
      01-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Well, lots of warranties have the equivalent of 'amateur has fucked about with it and made it worse, so no longer under warranty' clause.

Might I suggest the first step being this : you stop digging the hole even deeper.

Second step being : call the dealer, and let people who actually know what they are doing play with it.

If you have warranty buddy, use it and call them!!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy_coach View Post
So a week into ownership and it looks like it's time to call on the warranty

Heater seemed to be working but a little noisy so I removed the fan to check for leaves. The motor is spinning fine in the footwell, changing speed with the controls as expected. There were no leaves found, so I reassembled everything and now there is no air blowing though at all, I've had the motor out a second time to check I've reassembled everything ok and the motor seems fine when not fitted into the housing.

I then took the car to get the aircon checked incase the gas was low and the tech noted that the AC wouldn't kick in despite the correct amount of gas being in the system. I can hear the vents changing when you adjust where the air should be coming from but I don't get any airflow. Any ideas? I'd like to rule everything out before potentially losing the car for a while.
You’ve just void your warranty

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

To satisfy natural human curiosity, investing in model specific technical maintenance manual is a good first step - if you plan to keep the car.

During the warranty: read the manual but take the vehicle to the dealer.

After the warranty: read the manual and follow repair steps.

Earlier comments about using the warranty make perfect sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Might not be a good idea to show them your post on here. Take it in and let them deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

Warranty or not.

If the noise relates to a foreign object or something that has not actually failed, you will get a bill.
OP was probably just trying to avoid this.

Does nobody fiddle with things these days?
Ennoch2257.00
      01-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

A load of generally unhelpful soapbox replies to the OP's question.

OP - there's no harm in looking for the obvious things before you take the car to the dealer (e.g. leaves in the fan housing), it could save you and the dealer a lot of time and hassle, but personally I'd avoid removing the fan itself or disclosing too much to the dealer.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
Ennoch2257.00
G50932.00
      01-06-2019, 04:32 PM   #9
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
A load of generally unhelpful soapbox replies to the OP's question.

OP - there's no harm in looking for the obvious things before you take the car to the dealer (e.g. leaves in the fan housing), it could save you and the dealer a lot of time and hassle, but personally I'd avoid removing the fan itself or disclosing too much to the dealer.
So you’ve just agreed with the unhelpful soapbox remarks and told him to avoid doing something he’s already done

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #10
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

If you're at all technical get ISTA/D set up on a PC and buy a cable off Amazon

Lots of threads on here about how to do this

Then you can run the dealer diagnostics to see if anything electrical causing an issue. This is probably the first thing a BMW dealer will do anyway

However as already discussed return to the selling dealer first and get them to sort out
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 06:24 AM   #11
Revoltos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i

Could it be the resistor pack has failed on the side of the motor assembly? Unlikely I know. Or even more simply, when you took it apart, the harness from the motor to the resistor pack has come unplugged or the car harness to resistor pack isn't connected correctly? You may have had one problem (leaves etc) and in fixing that created another.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #12
Stew_Pid
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F31 330d Xdrive

Did you get this sorted? Mine's just done exactly the same, removed and unplugged the motor to check for debris and now it won't fire up. Controls look normal but no blower motor action.
      02-24-2021, 06:24 AM   #13
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

My AUC F31 had this issue the day it was delivered! Heater control display worked, but no air, hot or cold. Fixed under warranty, didn't have any issues for the remainder of my time with the car.
Appreciate 0