F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OT. Golf 7R driven. Sublime. Mini Review of my Red Golf 7R + Golf 7R vs 330d M Sport
Extreme Powerhouse

04-08-2015, 06:07 AM   #661
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Well someones changed their tune!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
FIT & FINISH:
R wins by a significant margin.
Not a single fault!!!!!
This car is the best made and finished car I have ever owned and the list includes BMWs, Mercs, Audis, Porsches, Maseratis, Jaguars and even an Aston Martin (which blew up!). It has been beautifully prepped by the Dealer and carefully supervised by Andrew Wood. Not a single swirl make, paint defect in both sunlight and under fluorescent lights. Oh next to no orange peel. BMW take note..
Quote:
The F30 is a badly made car in comparison to the R. It looks as if it is thrown together. Inconsistent gaps which are in general huge. And really bad orange peel paint probably the worst I have ever seen on any car.
Quote:
Regarding paintwork, the orange peel is worse than on my BMW. But because the R I have is a flat red, this might probably show up much more. Don't remember my Mk6 GTI being like this.

That's all folks.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 06:17 AM   #662
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Remember the BMW was detailed straight from new hence the orange peel was less. Also, EBII shows up orange peel much less. Non-detailed BMWs are pretty bad.

Anyway, SkyJawa, thanks for avidly reading my posts and being so pedantic. Bless.
      04-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #663
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Good to read a warts and all review though-keep it coming.
Looking on Pistonheads,there seems to be a few links to issues with dsg gremlins and engines going pop.Some of this may be as a result of "owners" not treating their cars with any respect,as they will be handing them back.
However,I'll be interested in how the R lasts as a long term runner.I think that there will be a lot of second hand dogs!
I'm still waiting for the R estate to see how it compares against an F31 335.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #664
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
There is one thing that will drive you mad with the R is that nearly everything can only be accessed from the touch screen apart from the Climate Control. The driving modes (there are 4) in particular could have had a rocker switch as in the F30 which is so much more intuitive. You cannot even dim the dashboard lights without accessing the Touch Screen.

A new Tech Pack bundle has been added in the configurator which is good value for money. Costs £1840 which includes the £1765 Pro Nav and the £535 Dynaudio. Also, Car-Net App-Connect is now available.... at last.

Otherwise, it is a very good car and is getting better and faster by the day. The DSG Gearbox is great and I am getting used to it. Not sure yet whether it is better than the ZF BMW Auto Box. I miss the auto box creep function.

Regarding paintwork, the orange peel is worse than on my BMW. But because the R I have is a flat red, this might probably show up much more. Don't remember my Mk6 GTI being like this.

That's all folks.
The fun button is certainly in a better location in the F30. But sometimes I have felt the 'need' to have the button for sport/sport+ on the steering wheel or gear stick though. You still have to look down to select sport before that manoeuvre/heroic overtake etc - which wastes fractions of a second.

1st world problems again
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 07:51 AM   #665
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Nothing pedantic about it. If you will bleat on for pages and then reverse what you say people will remember

Enjoy your orange peely R
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #666
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Good to hear some more balanced feedback.

Doesn't matter what the car is there is always going to be something either not quite right or that could be improved, or that another car does better.

Not sure I understand the obsession with orange peel paintwork on a car that's being leased for 2 years though. It will still look great when detailed!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #667
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
Looking on Pistonheads,there seems to be a few links to issues with dsg gremlins and engines going pop.Some of this may be as a result of "owners" not treating their cars with any respect,as they will be handing them back.
However,I'll be interested in how the R lasts as a long term runner.I think that there will be a lot of second hand dogs!
The turbo going pop was with some early builds. VW have changed the offending part.

I think the R will last well, mechanically at least. Choosing a flat red will be more of a problem according to my Detailer, who I have still to visit. Can't be bothered to tell the truth.

Regarding the R Hearse, I don't think its proportions are very pleasing. Far prefer the F30 Hearse which as far as hearses go is probably the best looking of them all.

One negative, the R tends to like a good drink, but only if you can it, which I have been doing at times.
      04-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #668
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Good to hear some more balanced feedback.

Doesn't matter what the car is there is always going to be something either not quite right or that could be improved, or that another car does better.

Not sure I understand the obsession with orange peel paintwork on a car that's being leased for 2 years though. It will still look great when detailed!
Car is leased for 3 years. Every mass produced car has its faults, some less than others. I think the R is very well made.

I will get it detailed at some stage. I think it will look even better than it does now. Tornado Red is a very vibrant colour.
      04-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #669
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Nothing pedantic about it. If you will bleat on for pages and then reverse what you say people will remember

Enjoy your orange peely R
You are an utter charmer.
      04-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #670
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM
Quote:
The turbo going pop was with some early builds. VW have changed the offending part.

I think the R will last well, mechanically at least. Choosing a flat red will be more of a problem according to my Detailer, who I have still to visit. Can't be bothered to tell the truth.

Regarding the R Hearse, I don't think its proportions are very pleasing. Far prefer the F30 Hearse which as far as hearses go is probably the best looking of them all.

One negative, the R tends to like a good drink, but only if you can it, which I have been doing at times.
I agree re the R hearse,the limited photos appear to do it no justice whatsoever.Im hoping that in the flesh,it's a different story.I also need a split tailgate as well and I don't know whether VW have this feature.
Failing that,an F31 will be back at the top of the list...
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #671
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I agree re the R hearse,the limited photos appear to do it no justice whatsoever.Im hoping that in the flesh,it's a different story.I also need a split tailgate as well and I don't know whether VW have this feature.
Failing that,an F31 will be back at the top of the list...
F31 or an equivalent Mercedes or the soon to be released A4 variant?