F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Marshalls of Basingstoke (Hook)
ARMA SPEED

09-20-2019, 04:33 AM   #1
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

Marshalls of Basingstoke (Hook)

So my F32 went in for the EGR recall on Wednesday.

Me: I've heard you're just scoping the recalls and not replacing parts due to back order

Him: If its not currently leaking we wont replace anything

Me: So in 10k miles when it does start leaking what happens? I've heard you refuse to do anything about it stating that the recall has been used up already

Him: Silence

Moving on....

Me: The car has only done 25k miles the exhaust has rotted through at the join to the secondary Cat, I tried to book it in when it happened and you couldn't fit me in for 8 weeks. It got worse and broke 90% of the way through so I had to get it TIG welded to keep me on the road. I would like you to check it and apply for a goodwill replacement.

Him: OK

Him: Would you like the car washed?

Being a detailing nerd I never let a dealer near my car and my car never actually gets dirty as its washed twice per week, but its BMW, what could go wrong....

Me: Yes please

I pick the car up later:

Him: So the EGR has been checked and its not leaking so no action has been taken

Me: Surprise... so what happens when it does start leaking?

Him: We have checked your exhaust and because you have had it repaired elsewhere we cant check the fault so no goodwill is available. You should have brought it straight to us.

Me: But you couldn't fit me in for 8 weeks, it broke all the way through, was I supposed to not have a car for 8 weeks?

Him: We have washed your car Sir

Me: Thanks

Him: We did a health check and your front brake pads are 65% worn and the rears are 45% worn.

Me: No they're not, I changed them myself a month ago

Him: Your aircon needs re-gassing Sir

Me: No it doesn't, I had it done a month ago

I go outside to get the car and it is literally dirtier than when I dropped it off. The guy who "cleaned" it had just wet it down, wiped it over with a wet rag and left it to dry. It looked like it had just been driven through a dirty puddle and left to dry in the sun. First thing I had to do when I got home was wash the car as I could barely see out the windows as they were so dirty.

Lesson learned...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 05:16 AM   #2
ossi1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M Sport 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ue52 View Post

Being a detailing nerd I never let a dealer near my car and my car never actually gets dirty as its washed twice per week, but its BMW, what could go wrong....
This forum is rife with stories of what can go wrong when they wash your car. It's almost an unwritten rule that you don't let them touch it.

Quote:

Him: We did a health check and your front brake pads are 65% worn and the rears are 45% worn.

Me: No they're not, I changed them myself a month ago
I'd be all over them like a rash over this matter. Complete and utter dishonesty and bordering on a criminal offence if they suggested you change them. Seriously I would take this further with the dealer principal.

These lot are part of the same group as my local dealer yet couldn't be any more different. Twice I've attempted to buy cars from them and both times I've walked away shaking my head in disbelief.
Appreciate 1
B1ue52124.00
      09-20-2019, 05:58 AM   #3
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

This is what happens when a dealer washes your car.....

Name:  20190904_125219 (Medium).jpg
Views: 997
Size:  293.8 KB

Name:  20190901_132350 (Medium).jpg
Views: 982
Size:  290.3 KB

Admittedly this was how I got the car when I bought it, but it's on the way to improvement.....

Name:  20190901_144347 (Medium).jpg
Views: 944
Size:  183.5 KB

Never ever let them wash it !!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 06:27 AM   #4
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Alscoob, that's bloody awful and you have to say you'd have to be going some to inflict that kind of damage in one wash...truly awful.
      09-20-2019, 06:42 AM   #5
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Horrendous. If I hadn't have had a liquid quartz coating on it I wouldn't have ever considered it as I've had similar results to you in the past with other dealers
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2111.50
      09-20-2019, 07:07 AM   #6
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Big "Do Not Wash" sign in the windscreen - every time it goes in because it doesn't matter if you tell the service muppets it still can get washed!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #7
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Alscoob, that's bloody awful and you have to say you'd have to be going some to inflict that kind of damage in one wash...truly awful.
You missed the 'as I bought it' bit.

2017 car 1 owner 8K miles, checked it out and was all good bar a few little stone chips, looked in depth at the paint some swirls but not much so quite happy & did the deal. Dealer said they would prep it because that was how it came in, so I said OK.

Their prep made it worse and unfortunately on collection it was a dull damp day, but it looked OK. Sent some pics to dealer, he said bring it back & we'll do it again!! But that would be a round trip of 350miles & a day out the window, so on the basis that I would have 'detailed' it anyway I told him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, it'll just take a little longer.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #8
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
You missed the 'as I bought it' bit.

2017 car 1 owner 8K miles, checked it out and was all good bar a few little stone chips, looked in depth at the paint some swirls but not much so quite happy & did the deal. Dealer said they would prep it because that was how it came in, so I said OK.

Their prep made it worse and unfortunately on collection it was a dull damp day, but it looked OK. Sent some pics to dealer, he said bring it back & we'll do it again!! But that would be a round trip of 350miles & a day out the window, so on the basis that I would have 'detailed' it anyway I told him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, it'll just take a little longer.
Indeed, when I got my car last year it was superficially clean but the paintwork was in a dreadful state, the dealer had covered it in some sealant that hadn't cured properly and was peeling and blistering it was a nightmare to get it off, which then revealed more swirls and holograms than you could shake a stick at, managed to correct the paint during that spell of good weather we had in Feb with a DA and some Menzerna compounds.

Took me 2 days though.
      09-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #9
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Indeed, when I got my car last year it was superficially clean but the paintwork was in a dreadful state, the dealer had covered it in some sealant that hadn't cured properly and was peeling and blistering it was a nightmare to get it off, which then revealed more swirls and holograms than you could shake a stick at, managed to correct the paint during that spell of good weather we had in Feb with a DA and some Menzerna compounds.

Took me 2 days though.
Sounds familiar. I too have a DA and Menzerna & some nice new Rupes pads, just need a weekend to crack on with it ...without domestic interruption
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #10
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Thanks for the heads up, won't be going anywhere near Marshalls in the future
      09-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Thanks for the heads up, won't be going anywhere near Marshalls in the future
Sorry should have said my car came from Barons at Farnborough.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Sounds familiar. I too have a DA and Menzerna & some nice new Rupes pads, just need a weekend to crack on with it ...without domestic interruption
What Menzerna polish are you going with mate?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #13
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Big "Do Not Wash" sign in the windscreen - every time it goes in because it doesn't matter if you tell the service muppets it still can get washed!
^ this, every time. Service receptionists are muppets.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #14
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

B1ue52 I had the same experience with my EGR. See post :

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1651550

The "you've used up your re-call" response is very cynical.

Your car has an EGR.
The EGR is one of the parts included in the recall.
If you want to make a booking in good faith we are happy to book it in for an inspection/replacement.
We only cleaned it.
We won't replace it if it fails later, but we don't tell you that when you make your first booking.

Shameful.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
B1ue52124.00
      09-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #15
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
B1ue52 I had the same experience with my EGR. See post :

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1651550

The "you've used up your re-call" response is very cynical.

Your car has an EGR.
The EGR is one of the parts included in the recall.
If you want to make a booking in good faith we are happy to book it in for an inspection/replacement.
We only cleaned it.
We won't replace it if it fails later, but we don't tell you that when you make your first booking.

Shameful.
It was your post I was thinking of when I threw their policy in the their faces.

Made an email complaint to Marshall's today. Service manager responded back within 10 mins but the response is just laughable and has annoyed me even more.

His offer of a free full valet really cracked me up after I'd complained like hell how they washed my car.

They're just total fucktards
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 12:22 AM   #16
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

Quote:
It was your post I was thinking of when I threw their policy in the their faces.

Made an email complaint to Marshall's today. Service manager responded back within 10 mins but the response is just laughable and has annoyed me even more.

His offer of a free full valet really cracked me up after I'd complained like hell how they washed my car.

They're just total fucktards
Complain to BMW, that normally gets them going, the brakes bit alone should be a red alarm!

BMW are really letting the standards of their dealers go, not sure if this is a industry wide problem with most allowing car supermarket style mega dealers get franchises or just me getting old and moaning more, my recent experiences with these types of dealers has been very mixed, but when it’s bad, it’s really bad
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #17
jasonjo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

A sad but not unfamiliar tale...I now use the 'best of the worst' dealer I can as my car is still under warranty and on PCP so don't want the potential backlash from BMWF for having used Indy's if I end up giving it back or VTing

The dealer I now use is miles away from where I live, but I book it in when I'm working away so I can avoid my local dealer who is atrocious - I'm on my third dealer due to getting so pissed off with incompetence!

The remote dealer is ok, but I have to spell everything out clearly and moan constantly just to ensure I get reasonable service - they are consistently good at replacing corroded wheels though and can't say no as I have evidence (they've set a precedent now) of what they've previously replaced under warranty...they also seem to honour the "don't wash it" requests thus far

Sad these tales of woe as so common now, makes me feel old as proper customer service just seems really hard to find nowadays, especially for a so called premium brand
      09-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #18
ossi1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M Sport 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjo View Post
A sad but not unfamiliar tale...I now use the 'best of the worst' dealer I can as my car is still under warranty and on PCP so don't want the potential backlash from BMWF for having used Indy's if I end up giving it back or VTing

The dealer I now use is miles away from where I live, but I book it in when I'm working away so I can avoid my local dealer who is atrocious - I'm on my third dealer due to getting so pissed off with incompetence!

The remote dealer is ok, but I have to spell everything out clearly and moan constantly just to ensure I get reasonable service - they are consistently good at replacing corroded wheels though and can't say no as I have evidence (they've set a precedent now) of what they've previously replaced under warranty...they also seem to honour the "don't wash it" requests thus far

Sad these tales of woe as so common now, makes me feel old as proper customer service just seems really hard to find nowadays, especially for a so called premium brand
Do you have issues with Marshall Bournemouth.... Only saying that with your location.

Touch wood they've been as good as gold for me. Care to enlighten if its the same branch ?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 05:51 PM   #19
jasonjo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Yes, I gave up with them quite a while ago - the service folks were always great but the technicians just seemed clueless most of the time

I had the creaking door seals "fix" applied using the tape after several visits being fobbed of with gummy fledge - took them three attempts to fit the tape properly, and I had to show them pictures from the Internet to explain how they'd done it wrong the first two times

They also couldn't diagnose a really annoying vibration/noise (went in about four times) which I ended up fixing myself by going to a garage and paying to use their workshop/ramp to remove the under car panels until I found the problem

I just ran out of patience and got fed up of constantly having to complain to just get basic things sorted

Maybe I was just unlucky with bad techs...
      09-28-2019, 02:37 AM   #20
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for late reply, been busy. Have the following -

Medium cut 2200
Super finish 3500
Power lock 4 to seal it all.

Used Poorboys in the pics above as a trial - SSR2.5 & SSR1
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 04:34 AM   #21
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry for late reply, been busy. Have the following -

Medium cut 2200
Super finish 3500
Power lock 4 to seal it all.

Used Poorboys in the pics above as a trial - SSR2.5 & SSR1
It's looking good mate. If you struggle to correct any areas don't be afraid to step down to the old FG400, now called Heavy Cut Compound and even a lambs wool pad. BMW paint is hard as fuck and can take it when needed. Looking forward to seeing pics of it finished
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2111.50