F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Anyone getting the new iPhone 11 or Pro?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-22-2019, 12:49 AM   #89
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
Face ID hasn't been an issue with me on the 11, having never had it before though I've got nothing to compare it to. But it's very good, it even worked with my sunglasses on toady.

Camera - big step up but i'm coming from a 7. In the keynote I understood it that you can take a photo, then switch to the wide angle version after you've taken it? How do you do that, haven't worked it out yet.

Battery much better - been messing about with it all day with some heavy usage and still on 47%.
Under camera settings, you need to turn on capture outside the frame. It keeps this information available for 30 days for editing and fixing the composition.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2019, 02:09 AM   #90
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

How are the phone calls?
Appreciate 2
Wills28618.00
      09-22-2019, 02:31 AM   #91
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
How are the phone calls?
Does it make phone calls as well? Now that's smart!

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
Wills28618.00
      09-22-2019, 04:16 AM   #92
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
Under camera settings, you need to turn on capture outside the frame. It keeps this information available for 30 days for editing and fixing the composition.
Thanks, you'd of thought they'd have that enabled by default.

Quote:
How are the phone calls?
Great, my earpiece on my 7 was always dead quiet. Think it must have been faulty from new, this one is much better. Signal seems a little better too.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #93
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I tend to wait about four to six weeks after launch and pick up a brand new/sealed iPhone on fleabay for around a 20% discount. Apple honour the warranty from the day the phone is used first, in just the same way as a shop would - they cover it for 2 years.

This time I only had to wait 3 days to pick up a brand new and sealed 11 Pro 256GB for nearly £300 (23%) below RRP. It was launched on the 20th and I bought it yesterday (23rd). I had been intending to buy an 11, but the discount on the pro was too good to ignore.

There doesn't seem to be much risk that I can see in doing it this way - I chose a good seller and PayPal cover the 'not as described' risk. I'll let you know if I receive a parcel containing a couple of rocks tomorrow .Perhaps the lack of 5G and Touch ID mean this isn't selling well, or perhaps iPhones are just too expensive for the market?
Appreciate 3
      09-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #94
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

USB C and in screen Touch ID and 5G with great battery life plus larger screen and faster processor will make next years phone leaps and bounds better.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #95
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I tend to wait about four to six weeks after launch and pick up a brand new/sealed iPhone on fleabay for around a 20% discount. Apple honour the warranty from the day the phone is used first, in just the same way as a shop would - they cover it for 2 years.

This time I only had to wait 3 days to pick up a brand new and sealed 11 Pro 256GB for nearly £300 (23%) below RRP. It was launched on the 20th and I bought it yesterday (23rd). I had been intending to buy an 11, but the discount on the pro was too good to ignore.

There doesn't seem to be much risk that I can see in doing it this way - I chose a good seller and PayPal cover the 'not as described' risk. I'll let you know if I receive a parcel containing a couple of rocks tomorrow .Perhaps the lack of 5G and Touch ID mean this isn't selling well, or perhaps iPhones are just too expensive for the market?
iPhone sales are down apparently, a lot of people switching to Android. Not an option for me with an Apple Watch, Carplay, iPad & use iCloud calendar excessively!

I guess you bought yours from eBay? I paid full price for mine from Apple but it is 0% finance over 24 months, which is an almost unnoticeable £48pm.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #96
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
USB C and in screen Touch ID and 5G with great battery life plus larger screen and faster processor will make next years phone leaps and bounds better.
None of that bothers me except touch ID.

USB C ports would be a pain as I'd have to change all my chargers!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #97
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
iPhone sales are down apparently, a lot of people switching to Android. Not an option for me with an Apple Watch, Carplay, iPad & use iCloud calendar excessively!

I guess you bought yours from eBay? I paid full price for mine from Apple but it is 0% finance over 24 months, which is an almost unnoticeable £48pm.
Yes it was eBay. I'm quite tied in to the Apple ecosystem as well - iPad, iCloud, 3 iPhones between us. I buy just after launch every 2 years and then pass it on to the other half, who is less bothered by current tech. She passes it on to our young son.

iPhones seem to survive these 6 years of fairly heavy use quite well, and Apple support them with the current iOS for that time(the iPhone 6 appears to be an exception since it isn't getting iOS 13). I will have an 11 Pro, she will have the 8 and my son the 6S.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #98
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes it was eBay. I'm quite tied in to the Apple ecosystem as well - iPad, iCloud, 3 iPhones between us. I buy just after launch every 2 years and then pass it on to the other half, who is less bothered by current tech. She passes it on to our young son.

iPhones seem to survive these 6 years of fairly heavy use quite well, and Apple support them with the current iOS for that time(the iPhone 6 appears to be an exception since it isn't getting iOS 13). I will have an 11 Pro, she will have the 8 and my son the 6S.
That's a good idea, but I figured with the 0% finance I might as well use the money for something else.

I went for the Pro Max, loving the big screen! And the camera(s) are pretty impressive.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #99
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Quote:
That's a good idea, but I figured with the 0% finance I might as well use the money for something else.

I went for the Pro Max, loving the big screen! And the camera(s) are pretty impressive.
And how is Face ID - it was your biggest concern as it didn’t work so well from angles. Better?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:22 PM   #100
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post
Quote:

And how is Face ID - it was your biggest concern as it didn’t work so well from angles. Better?
Yes it is much much better, worth the upgrade just for that.

I'd still prefer touch id though, will be a good excuse to get next years new iPhone no doubt!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #101
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

48 quid a month just for the phone? And then you have your SIM cost on top?? Fuck, if you had a cheaper phone you could be in an M5...

My Note8 including sim is 46 quid a month..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #102
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
48 quid a month just for the phone? And then you have your SIM cost on top?? Fuck, if you had a cheaper phone you could be in an M5...

My Note8 including sim is 46 quid a month..
I don’t think £22 a month would get me an M5!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #103
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I don’t think £22 a month would get me an M5!
Is your x3 free then? For decision making its only the difference between two options that matters...

Last edited by isleaiw1; 09-24-2019 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #104
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post
Quote:

And how is Face ID - it was your biggest concern as it didn't work so well from angles. Better?
Yes it is much much better, worth the upgrade just for that.

I'd still prefer touch id though, will be a good excuse to get next years new iPhone no doubt!
I was expecting to loathe Face ID, but it's excellent on the pro max. Battery life astoundingly good on this too.

Bonus is that it hooks up to CarPlay much more reliably than my 7, which also had Bluetooth music issues in my old 440i.

Extremely happy with the upgrade, and I haven't really done anything with the camera yet - which should be the biggest win of all.

Very impressed with your deal JD6

Appreciate 1
teaston10990.50
      09-25-2019, 02:50 AM   #105
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:

I tend to do the same... buy new and sealed unit on eBay which people upgrade and sell on.

Being network locked isnt an issue - i’ve always been able to ring EE/ Vodafone etc and get them unlocked either for free or a nominal amount one you get a pay as you go sim in there.

Had read there is a risk with these upgraded phones on eBay in that the network still owns them... so if the seller stops paying/ they can block their handset or something along those lines.....

But never heard anyone who has experienced that... and on a credit card you are protected also.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:08 AM   #106
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
Had read there is a risk with these upgraded phones on eBay in that the network still owns them... so if the seller stops paying/ they can block their handset or something along those lines.....

But never heard anyone who has experienced that... and on a credit card you are protected also.
That's a good point - there may be some additional risk from the network. So far I have bought 3 iPhones and one iPad in this way, all from highly rated sellers, and not had a problem, but I guess I should take that into account. As you say there is some credit card (plus PayPal / eBay) protection.

I imagine that if a network (in my case EE) blocked an iPhone for this reason, I might be able to persuade them to unblock by demonstrating that I had bought the phone legitimately, since the network get an ongoing income from me.
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      09-25-2019, 08:31 AM   #107
g9icy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe MSport

I'm a mug and got a Space Grey (wanted green) 11 Pro 256gb on the upgrade program.

I figured it's basically half price to "rent" the phone for 12 months and I'll likely get the 12, then keep the 12 for many years after. I wanted the better camera, as I do use it every weekend heavily.

However I have a theory that next year will be 11 's' phones, not the rumoured 12, so that factored into my decision.

Usually I only buy Apple stuff on offer/discount/refurbished but thought sod it this time.

Upgraded from a 6s.

So far, absolutely loving the 11 Pro. Screen is lovely, feels weighty in hand, sound is amazing for a phone but face ID is absolute cack and prefer touch ID.

I have 2 weeks to cancel the whole thing and I still might, but only to downgrade from 256gb to 64gb, as I've realised I don't really need such a massive amount of space.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #108
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Battery life on the Max is quite incredible, been using it loads today and haven't charged it at all, and it's still on 74% battery!
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2019, 11:11 PM   #109
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Battery life on the Max is quite incredible, been using it loads today and haven't charged it at all, and it's still on 74% battery!
I'm finding the same, Tim. Last charged in the car at 6.30 on the way home yesterday, used heavily in the evening, sat on the bedside table all night and still at 90% now. My 7 would be around 50% by this point.

Appreciate 1
teaston10990.50
      09-25-2019, 11:57 PM   #110
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
Quote:

I tend to do the same... buy new and sealed unit on eBay which people upgrade and sell on.

Being network locked isnt an issue - i’ve always been able to ring EE/ Vodafone etc and get them unlocked either for free or a nominal amount one you get a pay as you go sim in there.

Credit card on PayPal - I didn't think that was covered under the consumer protection thing as PP is the primary payment mechanism.

Could be wrong but I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere with people relying on credit card protection for PayPal purchases.
Appreciate 0