F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive Question
ARMA SPEED

09-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
SlayerFan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 13 BMW 328i

iDrive Question

Hello, I recently picked up a 13 F30 and have a question about iDrive. Is it worthless to me? The reason I ask is because I've learned that they have replaced their backend and now my hardware is no longer compatible. To be honest, all I am trying to do is get the most integration with Spotify as I can. I am currently using Bluetooth but all I can do is skip tracks. No pause, album art, etc. Also, when I plug into usb, it sees the phone but doesn't see Spotify. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:40 AM   #2
DarkF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Do you have the 6 in screen?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #3
SlayerFan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 13 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkF30 View Post
Do you have the 6 in screen?

I think it is. It's definitely no bigger.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
DarkF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerFan View Post
I think it is. It's definitely no bigger.
Sounds like you have the idrive CIC. Even in NBT there is no pause only skip or previous. Pretty weird I must admit. However with NBT you can have the usb spotify connection and album art is displayed but youll need to retrofit it in.
Appreciate 1
vcxz-z0.00
      09-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #5
Saeedoz
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 328i

Hi all,
I have a question: My iDrive controller buttons are sticky. Would I need to code if I replace the whole controller with a new / used one but exactly the same part?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 09:02 PM   #6
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeedoz View Post
Hi all,
I have a question: My iDrive controller buttons are sticky. Would I need to code if I replace the whole controller with a new / used one but exactly the same part?
Thanks
Please start your own thread. Don't thread jack someone else's post with your completely unrelated question.

09-22-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks
Same part number idrive controller is plug and play.

Please start a new thread for a different question.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 01:26 AM   #8
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks
If you replace the iDrive controller, even with the same exact model that came with the vehicle, it still needs to be programmed to the iDrive.

I recently replaced my IDrive controller with a brand new controller, with the identical part number and although it works fine, it's still throwing a "shadow code" in ISTA+, indicating that it needs to be program to properly sync with the hardware. I reset the fault several times and it reappears, so it's not just a fluke.

If the dealer ever has to do a software update or repair, they won't be able to until the controller is properly programmed.

I check with my dealer they want an hour labor at $174, to code my new controller. As if...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #9
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks
If you replace the iDrive controller, even with the same exact model that came with the vehicle, it still needs to be programmed to the iDrive.

I recently replaced my IDrive controller with a brand new controller, with the identical part number and although it works fine, it's still throwing a "shadow code" in ISTA+, indicating that it needs to be program to properly sync with the hardware. I reset the fault several times and it reappears, so it's not just a fluke.

If the dealer ever has to do a software update or repair, they won't be able to until the controller is properly programmed.

I check with my dealer they want an hour labor at $174, to code my new controller. As if...
@Poochie Not to derail the thread but I've since stopped going out to Freeport for service for my F30 and G05 as they couldn't do the most simple of things properly so I use bay shore (though further from me) for the peace at mind.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      09-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #10
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks

@Poochie Not to derail the thread but I've since stopped going out to Freeport for service for my F30 and G05 as they couldn't do the most simple of things properly so I use bay shore (though further from me) for the peace at mind.
I have to agree with you on that and also the service advisors are a bunch of dickheads. The really are not friendly and doesn't really care to help.

I could tell they hate their jobs and just project on their customers. After standing there like a statue for 20 mins, I only gotten someone to help me after I got "ghetto" and made a big scene in the service area. I rather burn down my car than take it back to BMW of Freeport. Stay away!

I only went there because of proximity but next time I'm driving 50 miles to another state, just to avoid that place like a plague. But I digress..

Anyway, to the subject; the replacement iDrive controller needs to be program, you're looking at 1 - 2 hours of labor because they might need to update the entire main ECU to get it to properly work with no hidden errors.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #11
Saeedoz
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 328i

Red face

Hi all,
Apologies for using this thread for the question above - I was searching thru the search button for a relevant discussion and this had come up first but nonetheless apologies. still learning the ropes for using the forums
And thanks for the guidance!
Appreciate 0