F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How hard is it to retrofit pro nav?
Studio RSR

02-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #23
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibonyad View Post
Ok thanks, I'll have a think about it. If I set some time aside to do it and ran out of time and needed to use the car in the meantime. Would the car still run or would it be immobilised? Might be a stupid question but I'm just thinking the car might think the radio has been stolen or something!
It depends what state the car is left in. I ran my car for 3 days without the optical cable connected due to a cable fault. I had no sound and therefore my parking sensors didn't work fully but otherwise the car was fine.

Reassembling the dash is a quick operation.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #24
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
Great, final bits of info for me, the gps antenna, is it neat and out of the way? I assume cars that come with pro Nav from the factory have these placed in the roof for better signal, with it not being there is it going to pick up the satellite signal as we'll or am I not understanding something.

I'm asking as one of my main issues with my tom tom is it takes forever (sometimes) to pick up a signal, never had that with built in Nav.

Did you only lose dab, I assume DVD playback and album art, uk navigation is all present?

Thanks
See picture below for how mine looks. You can almost hide it completely behind the screen if you want and I did originally but it kept losing my position. That turned out to be a faulty GPS unit, but I had already moved it so left the replacement in the new location. I also have the HK audio so have a big speaker behind the screen on the dash. The seller told me some actually leave it behind the NBT and it should still work!

Yep, only lost DAB but gained so much more. DVD works fine, as does videos from the USB key. DVD in motion is working for me. Album art looks great. Also have BMW Apps and Speech recognition. Got to be honest, it is a beautiful setup once in and well worth the extra cost.

My GPS picks up the signal within 5 seconds of starting the ignition. Also it is eerily precise in tracking the car past junctions. Been very impressed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #25
Firecrest
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 318d

Just the screen alone is a massive improvement!

All good to go, I'll look out for some equipment, I'm in no rush, I'm happy to keep my existing controller so possible to do it for £850 ish which is great.

I've not got HK so would probably go with attaching it to the NBT and keep my fingers crossed it would work ok.

I'm also assuming the coding part won't be a nightmare, that would determine if I did it or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #26
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

You can always test the Nav with the GPS hidden out the way to see if it works ok before you put the Dash back together.

Something I forgot to mention above, I have the Black Panel display (6WA) which is a £120 option but adds Nav and all sorts of other things to your cluster and normally comes as Standard with Pro Nav. The instrument cluster is called KOMBI. If you don't have the black panel display, then read through the following thread and maybe PM those guys about if they had issues:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...=KOMBI&page=15

Coding isn't a nightmare, but it depends on what you are going from and too. Here is a summary of the coding that will be required:

* Edit your Vehicle Order (VO) and add option 609 for Pro Nav and change option 6NA to 6NS to enable enhanced bluetooth. If your radio doesn't have DAB you also need to remove option 658 or it will refuse to let you code the NBT
* If you have BMW Apps, Live or Speech you also need to add those to your VO
* Write your VO back to the car. This is code FA coding.
* With the VO updated you now need to set the NBT for the defaults for you VO and also do the same to the KOMBI. This is called VO coding
* Finally you can tweak any other settings in the NBT you would like by FDL coding the NBT

To me this is all reasonably simple now, but I have ran across plenty of issues along the way that I have had to resolve which you can read in full on the above thread. In theory this is simple, but I bet every bodies experience will be different.

Don't set your expectations that it will work first time with no issues and be prepared to ask for help on the forums and I think you will get it working.
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #27
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D xDrive ordered

I'm going to try some basic coding before I start doing this. Then once I'm half confident I will look into it again. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #28
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
I also have the HK audio so have a big speaker behind the screen on the dash. The seller told me some actually leave it behind the NBT and it should still work!
If you have HK audio, is it as simple as pluging in the audio connection from HU_ENTRY into the new NBT unit? Also I have enhanced BT, will this cause issues?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #29
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
If you have HK audio, is it as simple as pluging in the audio connection from HU_ENTRY into the new NBT unit? Also I have enhanced BT, will this cause issues?
Yep, just uses what is called the MOST cable. Two wire optical cable, just plugs right in and works.

However, I think your enhanced bluetooth will cause you problems. It usually means you have a Combox in the boot. If you do then your microphone and USB inputs are not going to the HU_Entry, they are going to the Combox.

The Combox is built into the NBT directly so it isn't required. If you want your Mic and USB to work, then you would have to re-run the cables from the Combox in the boot to the NBT. Some have done it but I wouldn't want to pull up all the carpets on my new car.

This is what a Combox looks like so you can see if you have it:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=2500

Also, for all the people that thinks this retrofit looks complicated, take a look at what is involved fitting it to an E90. This is one very brave man:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728890
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #30
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the updates, from the looks of it I do have the combox , so the retrofit will defo take a bit longer. I've notice from the DIY section that Aritaurus is still working out how to route the mic to NBT, I'll keep an eye on that thread.

It also looks like it would be easier to buy the another USB cable and connect from the armrest to NBT, rather than ripping up the rear to pass the cable.

Also I'm using 47.7 (F020-12-07-533) for coding my car. I know F31 always came with NBT (if Prof Nav was spec), would I need a newer PSdZData to ensure my car knows about NBT?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #31
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Another quick update. I now have the Touch functions of the iDrive controller working after retrofitting the Touch Controller module.

All the details including my dodgy homemade cable at the following link:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=411
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #32
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Thanks for the updates, from the looks of it I do have the combox , so the retrofit will defo take a bit longer. I've notice from the DIY section that Aritaurus is still working out how to route the mic to NBT, I'll keep an eye on that thread.

It also looks like it would be easier to buy the another USB cable and connect from the armrest to NBT, rather than ripping up the rear to pass the cable.

Also I'm using 47.7 (F020-12-07-533) for coding my car. I know F31 always came with NBT (if Prof Nav was spec), would I need a newer PSdZData to ensure my car knows about NBT?
Sorry, I don't know why I missed this.

Yes, running a new USB cable or using the one in the glovebox would be far easier than running cables from the Combox. You could probably also by a Microphone to with a Fakra connector and ignore the existing one.

My care will be on the very latest coding data since it was December 2013, but the NBT is much older and everything works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #33
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Steddyman,

My understanding is those with the pronav have a USB in the glove box, how do you update your HDD in NBT? Or did you retrofit the additional USB port?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #34
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I only have a single USB port which is to the armrest USB and I have had no issues upgrading the NBT software using it. I am using the White USB HSD connector on the back of the NBT. I am fairly sure the latest cars with NBT allow upgrade via the armrest too.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #35
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Steddyman, I've slowly looking at all the bits I need to get this retrofit done. I'm almost there, I've just got a few questions left

1. On the back of the NBT/HU_ENTRY is there a separate mic connection if so do you know the colour? or is it integrated into another cable? As discussed on the other thread, if I can find a suitable mic I'd rather do that mess around trying to re-route cables.

2. 6NR Apps, to enable this, is it a simple case of VO coding? I saw another thread talking about the need for an 9C FSC Code.

3. GPS, did you try testing how the GPS performed hidden under the dash?

4. To activate the euro maps on NBT, does this require an additional code?

5. Do you have a picture of the rear of the NBT and HU_Entry with all the connections attached?

Thanks..

Last edited by kitster; 02-16-2014 at 05:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #36
vortex86
Rep
Drives: F30 316d

Quote:
* With the VO updated you now need to set the NBT for the defaults for you VO and also do the same to the KOMBI. This is called VO coding

Thanks steddyman, great guide

What does the above quoted mean?

The nav is in, I added 609, but I don't have any sound.
I have the stock, non HiFi sound system.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #37
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

You need to select HU_NBT ECU and then click on the Code button.

I'm assuming you have added an emulator? Did you move the MOST cable from the original quadlok to the emulator quadlok? Sound comes via the MOST loop.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #38
a803sgo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

Is it easier to go from business to pro or just as involved?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 05:14 PM   #39
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a803sgo View Post
Is it easier to go from business to pro or just as involved?
Easiest is coming from nothing or no combox to ProNav. If have the combox you'll have to reroute the USB, BT and MIC cables (or replace them) to the NBT.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #40
vortex86
Rep
Drives: F30 316d

Quote:
Another quick update. I now have the Touch functions of the iDrive controller working after retrofitting the Touch Controller module.

Did you do anything else? Code anything or so?
I don't get the Touch Controller to work. Ordered a touch controller module and wired everything 1-1, 2-2,... but it doesn't show any function.

My car was build in 04/2012.

Thanks Kitster, that VO coding worked I had to inject a different CAFd, but the NBT works well, now
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 02:46 PM   #41
crazy-frog
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

First off, massive thanks for the info you've given

I have a few question, if you would be so kind as to help me out with them!

Regarding the touch i-drive controller - my car has a production date of 2012-10-29 so I assume is using KCAN-1, I believe you are in the same situation? If so, my question is - do you not need some form of retrofit adapter to convert KCAN-2 to KCAN-1, if such a thing exists? You mention obtaining a touch control module such as this one, however from what I understand, that requires a connection to a KCAN-2 bus doesn't it? I.e it doesn't perform the conversion from KCAN 2 to 1?

I see mentions of a "Handwriting Module", are people referring to the touch controller module above would you say?

I've also read you need a new video cable, such as this one - did you need this or did it come with your NBT?

I really want to mount the GPS antenna in a hidden fashion, other than placing it behind the NBT unit, do you know of any other locations people place it? From reading the thread, it sounds like it is usually in the shark fin, is that true? Do you know of anyone who has retrofitted an NBT and used that location?

I was looking at this plug n play harness on eBay - it looks like it does the job that you created your own cable for, is that right?

Thanks a flippin lot in advance! This stuff is all starting to gel together in my tired brain now...!!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #42
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by meph137 View Post

Regarding the touch i-drive controller - my car has a production date of 2012-10-29 so I assume is using KCAN-1, I believe you are in the same situation? If so, my question is - do you not need some form of retrofit adapter to convert KCAN-2 to KCAN-1, if such a thing exists? You mention obtaining a touch control module such as this one, however from what I understand, that requires a connection to a KCAN-2 bus doesn't it? I.e it doesn't perform the conversion from KCAN 2 to 1?

I see mentions of a "Handwriting Module", are people referring to the touch controller module above would you say?

I've also read you need a new video cable, such as this one - did you need this or did it come with your NBT?

I really want to mount the GPS antenna in a hidden fashion, other than placing it behind the NBT unit, do you know of any other locations people place it? From reading the thread, it sounds like it is usually in the shark fin, is that true? Do you know of anyone who has retrofitted an NBT and used that location?

I was looking at this plug n play harness on eBay - it looks like it does the job that you created your own cable for, is that right?

Thanks a flippin lot in advance! This stuff is all starting to gel together in my tired brain now...!!

If it helps was toying with the idea of getting this done and found a local company based in Sutton Coldfield who supply and fit for £800 - think they use recycled parts inc genuine gps antenna I think.

Seem to have good reviews.
      02-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #43
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal001
Quote:
Originally Posted by meph137 View Post

If it helps was toying with the idea of getting this done and found a local company based in Sutton Coldfield who supply and fit for £800 - think they use recycled parts inc genuine gps antenna I think.

Seem to have good reviews.
If that's for the NBT system that's a bloody good price!! All the required bits alone would cost about that to source!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #44
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
If that's for the NBT system that's a bloody good price!! All the required bits alone would cost about that to source!
Just double checked it is for the NBT and includes

8.8" screen & cable
NBT computer
Standard controller
GPS antenna
Emulator

Coding fitting and apparently they code in the video in motion- which I wouldn't want or advocate.

How does that compare to buisiness or professional??

As I said toyed with the idea but then thought how much do I really want to spend on modding up / do I need it also do I want to put an old part in