F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Recommended brakes for 2013 328i Xdrive?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-20-2023, 12:14 PM   #1
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

I need to replace
  • Rotors
  • Brake pads
For both
  • Front
  • Rear
I have standard brakes for my “Sport” edition 2013 328i Xdrive 4-door sedan. It also has 312mm rotors in the front (not 330mm rotors)

I’m not necessarily looking for an upgrade of any kind, as I just use my 328 as a daily driver, but better brakes are only a good thing.

Z coating for rust proofing is a must for the salty winters.

For the front, I’ve looked at this kit
  • Zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads
For the rear, I’ve looked at
  • Zimmerman rotors
  • Akebono pads

Are there other brakes that would be good? I’m in Canada, and the Canadian dollar is currently really weak compared to the US dollar. If any Canadians can chime in on local vendors or products that would be appreciated.

I was looking at RockAuto, and they have tons of products, mainly from companies like:
  • Power stop
  • R1 Concepts
  • Dynamic Friction
  • Centric
I haven’t really heard of any of the above manufacturers so not sure how good they are.

Any recommendations?

(bonus points if you link sources like RockAuto, or a Canadian vendor)
      03-20-2023, 12:25 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

how about something from StopTech w/Hawk pads?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 12:48 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
I need to replace
Rotors
Brake pads
For both
Front
Rear
I have standard brakes for my “Sport” edition 2013 328i Xdrive 4-door sedan. It also has 312mm rotors in the front (not 330mm rotors)

I’m not necessarily looking for an upgrade of any kind, as I just use my 328 as a daily driver, but better brakes are only a good thing.

Z coating for rust proofing is a must for the salty winters.

For the front, I’ve looked at this kit
Zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads
For the rear, I’ve looked at
Zimmerman rotors
Akebono pads

Are there other brakes that would be good? I’m in Canada, and the Canadian dollar is currently really weak compared to the US dollar. If any Canadians can chime in on local vendors or products that would be appreciated.

I was looking at RockAuto, and they have tons of products, mainly from companies like:
Power stop
R1 Concepts
Dynamic Friction
Centric
I haven’t really heard of any of the above manufacturers so not sure how good they are.

Any recommendations?

(bonus points if you link sources like RockAuto, or a Canadian vendor)
I would avoid the low end vendors that you listed. I’d also avoid Akebono and any other ceramic pads especially in cold environments. Ceramics take too long to heat up to their working temperature which can mean hopping in your car after it’s been sitting and little to no brakes the first couple times that you touch them.

You can upgrade your brakes just by choosing better pads. Hawk 5.0 pads have great bite, instant warm up and low dust. Made in Ohio. There are over a dozen Canadian retailers. See link.
https://www.hawkperformance.com/locator?country=Canada

See photo for the Hawk 5.0 part numbers that you need. Photo shows list prices from maybe last year. Hawk street prices seem to vary so check all of the retailers to see if someone has a better price.

Zimmermann are high quality German-made rotors, and unlike BMW rotors, they come with an antirust zinc coating. You need front 312mm x 24mm and rear 300x20.

Rear rotors have different part numbers depending on whether you car came with a 185mm or 160mm rear Emergency Brake machined inside the rotor hat. See photo for how to use your VIN to find out which e-brake your car has.

Another way to upgrade your brakes is to swap out rubber brake hoses for stainless steel brake lines. They take away brake pedal mush and make pedal more firm & responsive. For safety brake fluid should be replaced every two years. Replaces hoses next time fluid is replaced. See photo for StopTech part numbers but there are several manufacturers like Turner and Goodridge.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
CJKaz24.50
      03-20-2023, 01:29 PM   #4
Öperator
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d & Tacoma

EBC makes good pads and rotors: https://ebcbrakes.com/products/automotive-brake-pads/
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 02:36 PM   #5
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
I use Textar. I think this is the OEM brand.
Appreciate 0