F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > 420D Xdrive transfer case/diff?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-21-2023, 02:40 PM   #1
e92jg
Rep
Drives: e92 320d

Hi all hoping someone might be able to give me a clue, I brought a 420D Xdrive last week 67000 miles.

There is a clunk half the time when pulling away from stationary, similar to a brake releasing from the drivers rear although it varys how loud and much you can feel it. It seems to be worse after being parked for a while.(i have checked all the brakes there is no binding at all)

There is also an occasional vibration/ shudder similar to traction control kicking in from that same drivers rear wheel right through the rev range, especially when acellerating from a rounabout or turning.

It should also be noted that the car has 4 7MM tread tyres with 3 budget and 1 kumho tyre on that drivers rear. Which could explain the acelleration judder but surely not the clunk from pulling away.

Ive heard of the transfer cases being trouble some but it does mainly feel as though its from the drivers rear. Any ideas or checks on the transfer case i can do would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 02:58 PM   #2
bt49qt28c
Rep
Drives: had 35 bmws but fav is e63

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92jg View Post
Hi all hoping someone might be able to give me a clue, I brought a 420D Xdrive last week 67000 miles.

There is a clunk half the time when pulling away from stationary, similar to a brake releasing from the drivers rear although it varys how loud and much you can feel it. It seems to be worse after being parked for a while.(i have checked all the brakes there is no binding at all)

There is also an occasional vibration/ shudder similar to traction control kicking in from that same drivers rear wheel right through the rev range, especially when acellerating from a rounabout or turning.

It should also be noted that the car has 4 7MM tread tyres with 3 budget and 1 kumho tyre on that drivers rear. Which could explain the acelleration judder but surely not the clunk from pulling away.

Ive heard of the transfer cases being trouble some but it does mainly feel as though its from the drivers rear. Any ideas or checks on the transfer case i can do would be greatly appreciated
Had the same issue. Does it often happen when you go reverse and then drive forward to make the "clunk"? And vice versa? If yes, it was the rear cv joint on my 420xd. I replaced the whole axle bar left side and the problem got solved.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 07:38 AM   #3
dani802
Rep
Drives: BMW F26/F30

On Xdrive vehicles the tyres have a big impact in terms of drivability.
Appreciate 0