F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Laser Headlights Install and Review
Extreme Powerhouse

03-16-2023, 08:09 PM   #1
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive Stage 1

Garage List
F30 Laser Headlights Install and Review

Hi all, I know I kept some of y'all waiting for a while now, sorry about that, international shipping hasn't been the kindest to me.

Now, a brief introduction of what this "Laser Headlight" is. It is a custom headlight moded from a standard F30 EURO spec LED headlight. The shop fits a 7 series or x7 laser headlight module(full module with HB & LB lens, LEDs PCBs and etc) inside, then paired with custom mount, wiring as well as additional power(my unit at 110-120w per side). The laser modules fully function with HB on. Some ppl are comparing this to a G80 headlight. They are not the same thing, this is non adaptive, with way more power and the laser module can be freely activated with HB on, which OEM BMW laser headlights cannot(they need auto HB on, then a set of conditions must be met in order for the laser to be on). The aforementioned shops can do custom headlights for pretty much any car, Honda civic, Buick, Toyota, even scooters, lol. As far as I know, only shops in China make these things so buying one require some Mandarin skills and patience for international shipping. Here a pic of what they offer for other cars. Name:  I_1696.JPG
Views: 1021
Size:  568.1 KB

I chose to go with this route because the stock F30 LED headlight is really lacking in terms of of the width of the beam pattern and brightness. Here in northern AZ, the roads are not very well lit, and a good set of headlights can give you a lot more confidence driving in the dark. I was originally thinking about the EURO adaptive LEDs but could not justify the price of it. In total I believe I paid around $1300 usd for these laser ones(a set with all modules attached, shipping and pay for that additional passenger side since it was previously destroyed in shipping. This is considerably cheaper than the adaptive ones: around $2500 usd.

For the install, it was painful, I did not figure out that some of screws had factory applied Loctite on it, which ended up seizing inside the mounting alignment nut, had to buy a Dremel and cut them out. The other side I used Brakleen to clean the Loctite, went a lot smoother. Additionally, these headlights require that I run additional wires to the positive terminal, negative terminal and even a fuse to the fuse box. The two headlights are connected by three wires as well, which had to be tucked behind the bumper. Here's some pics.
Name:  IMG_1694.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  485.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1695.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  355.0 KB

The headlights themselves IMO look amazing. They look much better than adaptive led and they are indeed brighter. One of biggest highlight of these over the stock led is the beam pattern. Low beam is much wider and consistent with light output now, before I constantly had to use fog lights to compensate for the width, which doesn't work so well. The beam pattern doesn't really show well on pictures so I have some data to back me up (all brightness data were measured the same distance from the wall to the car.) With a lux meter that I bought from Amazon, the standard LED produced brightness of around 1300-2000 lux at LB. A peak of 2693 lux at HB. The modded laser one had 1200-1690 lux at LB(much better beam pattern, meaning more area with higher brightness than stock) and a whopping 5000 lux peak for HB (measured at the center of the laser module beam). Here is a pic proof on the max reading, notice there is a x10. Name:  I_1686.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  215.8 KB
Around the laser module beam has around 3000 lux. The result is a beam that reaches way further down the road than stock. The most noticeable scenario is highway driving, with HB on the entire highway feels lit up especially with highways with shoulder reflective signs.

Here are some pics of the installed headlights.
Name:  IMG_1688.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  584.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1689.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  496.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1691.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  381.6 KB

Thoughts: Honestly, for the amount of hassle that I've been trough just for these headlights, this is probably not worth it for you. I had to deal with a broken unit due to shipping, many days of figuring stuff out, months of wait. These things are meant for a domestic Chinese buyer to head into one of these shops and have them make it and install. However, if you're really interested, let me know, I can provide some guidance on buying these.

Side note: My headlights were aimed correctly, I made sure of it. My background: Aerospace Engineer or so-called rocket scientist.\
Final pic of Full HB on.Name:  I_1682.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  82.8 KB
Appreciate 5
eff32fl1044.00
Wires1636.50
      03-16-2023, 09:09 PM   #2
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Great review thanks for taking one for the team and providing stats!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 12:52 AM   #3
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Great review thanks for taking one for the team and providing stats!
Of course, happy to help!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 04:40 AM   #4
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

Link of the item?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 03:29 PM   #5
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
Link of the item?
Unfortunately, "Xian Yu" (Chinese ebay equivalence) does not work on websites any more, you need their official mobile app, so here is the in app sharing link: https://c.tb.cn/s5.9GQNP
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 04:22 PM   #6
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by isenc2 View Post
Unfortunately, "Xian Yu" (Chinese ebay equivalence) does not work on websites any more, you need their official mobile app, so here is the in app sharing link: https://c.tb.cn/s5.9GQNP
None in aliexpress or temu?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 07:19 PM   #7
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Different shops approach this very differently, as I mentioned before this is a complete custom unit, so I can find you a link to shop that sells a similar headlight but the experience will be very different.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 07:46 PM   #8
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
After some search, I was not able to find an equivalence on Aliexpress, which kinda makes sense. This headlight requires a lot of extra work installing it and takes a lot of detailed instructions. I doubt the sellers on Aliexpress can come up with a detailed install guide in English. For reference, my seller provided me with very minimal guidance, not because he didn't want to, it's because they make these products to be installed by them in their shop, they don't really know what average people need to know.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 07:13 PM   #9
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is a video of a 7-series laser headlight getting disassembled, it is very similar looking to the F30 headlight except it has the blue laser modules. I would assume it is the inspiration for this modification. https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1H5...7235e7cd7addbf
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 03:27 PM   #10
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update: after about two weeks driving with these, I must say I am very impressed with the brightness. Highways long straights are very well illuminated with the laser module reaches very far down the road, big confidence boost. There are some things I want to point out, especially after researching a bit into G80 laser lights. My lights are technically brighter(only a bit, about 20w higher output) than G80 headlights(euro version), however, because they are non adaptive, there are scenarios where having high beam on can make things worse: reflective street signs on a narrow road, winding roads with reflective signs. IMO, the best case scenario would be adaptive HB modules that dim around reflective signs and turn with the steering wheel. In conclusion, these headlights are a great upgrades for F30 but definitely inferior to G80 laser lights, would love to do a comparison with a G80 in AZ!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 10:39 PM   #11
Charlesfeedomgundam
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 330d

Quote:
Update: after about two weeks driving with these, I must say I am very impressed with the brightness. Highways long straights are very well illuminated with the laser module reaches very far down the road, big confidence boost. There are some things I want to point out, especially after researching a bit into G80 laser lights. My lights are technically brighter(only a bit, about 20w higher output) than G80 headlights(euro version), however, because they are non adaptive, there are scenarios where having high beam on can make things worse: reflective street signs on a narrow road, winding roads with reflective signs. IMO, the best case scenario would be adaptive HB modules that dim around reflective signs and turn with the steering wheel. In conclusion, these headlights are a great upgrades for F30 but definitely inferior to G80 laser lights, would love to do a comparison with a G80 in AZ!
BTW man may i ask, this seller request a donor headlight so did you shift your original led headlight or he purchase an aftermarket headlight and then modified for you? Can't believe you also watch bilibili. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 07:22 PM   #12
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesfeedomgundam View Post
BTW man may i ask, this seller request a donor headlight so did you shift your original led headlight or he purchase an aftermarket headlight and then modified for you? Can't believe you also watch bilibili. lol
I did not, I asked him to acquire a set of oem headlight for me. Obviously I had to pay extra for that, but it saves me money and the hassle of sending my US model headlight over.

Also, on a separate note, I was visiting my parents this summer, look what I got done to my key. (Since you love Freedom gundam)

Name:  IMG_1810.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  184.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1811.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  174.1 KB
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2023, 07:02 PM   #13
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Update: My lights are technically brighter(only a bit, about 20w higher output) than G80 headlights(euro version), however, because they are non adaptive, there are scenarios where having high beam on can make things worse: reflective street signs on a narrow road, winding roads with reflective signs. IMO, the best case scenario would be adaptive HB modules that dim around reflective signs and turn with the steering wheel. In conclusion, these headlights are a great upgrades for F30 but definitely inferior to G80 laser lights.
Watts mean nothing about brightness in led headlights. It’s a holdover from incandescent lights.

You know nothing about your lights compared to G80 lights.

You would need very expensive test equipment that can accurately measure fL under identical circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 10:36 PM   #14
Charlesfeedomgundam
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 330d

Quote:
I did not, I asked him to acquire a set of oem headlight for me. Obviously I had to pay extra for that, but it saves me money and the hassle of sending my US model headlight over.

Also, on a separate note, I was visiting my parents this summer, look what I got done to my key. (Since you love Freedom gundam)

Attachment 3284520
Attachment 3284519
Very cool repainted key fob. Lot of people on xianyu doing this.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 02:47 PM   #15
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
Watts mean nothing about brightness in led headlights. It’s a holdover from incandescent lights.

You know nothing about your lights compared to G80 lights.

You would need very expensive test equipment that can accurately measure fL under identical circumstances.
Well, the other person was asking me to compare it to the G80 lights, that was to the best of my knowledge. And honestly, you’re probably right. But I will say this, after driving the G80, to my eyes at least, the G80 laser lights are definitely superior to these in every way.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 02:54 PM   #16
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Well, the other person was asking me to compare it to the G80 lights, that was to the best of my knowledge. And honestly, you’re probably right. But I will say this, after driving the G80, to my eyes at least, the G80 laser lights are definitely superior to these in every way.
I’m sure the OEM Lasers are much better quality than some Far East knockoffs. No question. The OEM are required to pass numerous DOT tests etc.
Appreciate 0